How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

What if..... what if..... they brought Godzilla's ears back? :shock: That'd be the craziest thing since telling me that Godzilla can walk on land.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by mikelcho »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:42 pm What if..... what if..... they brought Godzilla's ears back? :shock: That'd be the craziest thing since telling me that Godzilla can walk on land.
I thought Godzilla's ears had been brought back ever since at least 1984, maybe 1989.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Here's a bizarre idea. It doesn't so much concern Godzilla himself, but rather the setting a las The Monster Planet Trilogy. Why not put Godzilla in a high-fantasy setting complete sword and sorcery?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:37 pm Here's a bizarre idea. It doesn't so much concern Godzilla himself, but rather the setting a las The Monster Planet Trilogy. Why not put Godzilla in a high-fantasy setting complete sword and sorcery?
Oooohh i like the sound of this! A medieval Godzilla movie could really be a great entry of the series, and could also be the catalyst for the mythos to tackle other stuff like it; like a steampunk setting or something.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think you could do something with Godzilla in pre-Meiji Japan.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I am thinking something complete with stuff like elves, dwarves, dragons, ect. You know, the usual fantasy-stuff.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:51 pm ^I am thinking something complete with stuff like elves, dwarves, dragons, ect. You know, the usual fantasy-stuff.
Oh, I know. I was kinda building on Gigantis' "medieval Godzilla movie" comment.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I thought of a talking animal fantasy story with Godzilla as a literal king. Not exactly like that samurai Godzilla manga, but mostly animalistic in body monsters inexplicably havin a society sorta like Mouse Guard. Creatures like skeleturtle and meganulon would instead be the giants of the setting. Spacegodzilla as evil wizard and bastard cousing of the royal family hatches an evil plot.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

mikelcho wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:28 pm
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:42 pm What if..... what if..... they brought Godzilla's ears back? :shock: That'd be the craziest thing since telling me that Godzilla can walk on land.
I thought Godzilla's ears had been brought back ever since at least 1984, maybe 1989.
Oh you're right, but I'm referring to the recent four Godzillas, who don't have ears. :P

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:01 pm
mikelcho wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:28 pm
Oh you're right, but I'm referring to the recent four Godzillas, who don't have ears. :P
Ultima actually does have ears. They’re just super hard to see.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Jermobooka wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:02 pm
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:01 pm
mikelcho wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:28 pm I thought Godzilla's ears had been brought back ever since at least 1984, maybe 1989.
Ultima actually does have ears. They’re just super hard to see.
Damn Jermobooka coming in clutch! Here I was staring at Ultima's design for ten minutes trying to find ears :lol: With all those head spikes it's hard to tell.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:05 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:02 pm Ultima actually does have ears. They’re just super hard to see.
Damn Jermobooka coming in clutch! Here I was staring at Ultima's design for ten minutes trying to find ears :lol: With all those head spikes it's hard to tell.
I only found out once I expanded various images of Ultima’s SHMA and looked at the details. Wouldn’t blame anyone for not noticing because of that damn lizard-mohawk :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

He has ears!? Are the external or internal?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Evolve Godzilla into a damn virus.

Giving the times we live in.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

goji89 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:33 pm Evolve Godzilla into a damn virus.

Giving the times we live in.
All that radiation surrounding his body just evolves into a giant super-virus that makes any infected person gain keloid scars!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:23 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:21 pm Why would it be harmful if Godzilla did the same?
Considering how Toho's goal right now is to take Godzilla in new directions, it's harmful by taking them backwards from that notion.
One can do both of those things, though. Continuing the stories of existing timelines doesn't inherently get in the way of going in new directions, there's no reason why both approaches can't mutually coexist. Plenty of other franchises do that, it's not a zero-sum game.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gerdzerl wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:18 am
Gigantis wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:23 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:21 pm Why would it be harmful if Godzilla did the same?
Considering how Toho's goal right now is to take Godzilla in new directions, it's harmful by taking them backwards from that notion.
One can do both of those things, though. Continuing the stories of existing timelines doesn't inherently get in the way of going in new directions, there's no reason why both approaches can't mutually coexist. Plenty of other franchises do that, it's not a zero-sum game.
Just look at the millennium movies. Each had their own origin stories.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Weird idea: make Godzilla a local "nuclear-winter" generator. Breath weapon is a disintegration ray that fills the skys with soot.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Oneshot idea: Godzilla raised by King Kong.
A Kong closer the asshole version in the 1933 movie.
A mutated, sickly amphibious creature washes up on the shore of Skull Island, and is found and carried away by a beachcombing Kong with other finds.
When he reaches home, Kong bites into the creature only to to find it disgustingly foul and throws it in the corner of his cave. However, Godzilla still lives. Kong’s primate curiosity comes in and he starts feeding the creature scraps of food. And slowly, Godzilla grows...
So many ways story could go.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

Dinoskell wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:35 pm Oneshot idea: Godzilla raised by King Kong.
A Kong closer the asshole version in the 1933 movie.
A mutated, sickly amphibious creature washes up on the shore of Skull Island, and is found and carried away by a beachcombing Kong with other finds.
When he reaches home, Kong bites into the creature only to to find it disgustingly foul and throws it in the corner of his cave. However, Godzilla still lives. Kong’s primate curiosity comes in and he starts feeding the creature scraps of food. And slowly, Godzilla grows...
So many ways story could go.
I love this story idea. It doesn't have to be with Godzilla, even, to be emotionally moving. Like having the Godzilla and King Kong find and raise a monster they eventually have to kill...or Godzilla raises it, King Kong and everyone else realizes it needs to die, then they have to convince Godzilla somehow...

And, just cause I can't pass up the joke:

Or have King Kong find a small Baby Godzilla, then the big G comes by later...
Then to make it totally weird, they both got to court to decide custody!
Last edited by JessIAm on Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.