Your Hopes for World of Godzilla

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Your Hopes for World of Godzilla

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:I hope they scrap this World of Godzilla idea. The franchise will never be regarded as anything more than B-Grade trash outside of Japan. This project is doomed to fail, and Toho will only lose a lot of money in the long run.
Toho isn't going to lose anymore money then they would with their other Godzilla films.
World of Godzilla isn't a new series of films, its an initiative to expand the franchise's international footprint.

It's a waste of money.
I know that. The interviewee also said he Hope's to see a cinematic universe. The Monsterverse, Shin amd the Anime are all technically world of Godzilla.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:I hope they scrap this World of Godzilla idea. The franchise will never be regarded as anything more than B-Grade trash outside of Japan. This project is doomed to fail, and Toho will only lose a lot of money in the long run.
Toho isn't going to lose anymore money then they would with their other Godzilla films.
World of Godzilla isn't a new series of films, its an initiative to expand the franchise's international footprint.

It's a waste of money.
It'll include films that will also be showed in Japan where Toho gets all the cut.
And why is it a waste of money? The MonsterVerse hasn't been great but it's been a modest success and profit all together. Why is expanding doomed to failure? Why is it going to for sure lose money? This is defeatist without any supporting or corroborating evidence!

Added in 2 minutes 28 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

It's a waste of money.
I know that. The interviewer also said he Hope's to see a cinematic universe. The Monsterverse, Shin amd the Anime are all technically world of Godzilla.
And they've all made money too! Crazy to look at the recent Godzilla stuff, which has only made profit (even if only a little bit) and go on to say that following that direction will only end in failure. It's a bad business strategy at the very least.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

It's a waste of money.
I know that. The interviewer also said he Hope's to see a cinematic universe. The Monsterverse, Shin amd the Anime are all technically world of Godzilla.
And the Monsterverse, Shin, and the Anime are all failing. If anything, they've soured Godzilla's international reputation further. The only Godzilla film that's established any kind of positive cultural foothold outside Japan is GINO. And the only kind of products that would ever have a hope in increasing Godzilla's international footprint are products like GINO, which disregard the source material entirely.

It's a lost cause.

I'm not saying they can't make new Godzilla films, but Toho should focus on their home country. That's where the market is. That's where they'll be making a name for the brand.

Added in 1 minute 32 seconds:
Vakanai wrote:This is defeatist without any supporting or corroborating evidence!
https://www.deviantart.com/vrahno/journ ... -756246706

Here's your evidence then.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

It's a waste of money.
And the Monsterverse, Shin, and the Anime are all failing. If anything, they've soured Godzilla's international reputation further. The only Godzilla film that's established any kind of positive cultural foothold outside Japan is GINO. And the only kind of products that would ever have a hope in increasing Godzilla's international footprint are products like GINO, which disregard the source material entirely.

It's a lost cause.

I'm not saying they can't make new Godzilla films, but Toho should focus on their home country. That's where the market is. That's where they'll be making a name for the brand.

Vakanai wrote:This is defeatist without any supporting or corroborating evidence!

Are you trolling me? Shin was highly successful in Japan amd even Kotm made more than G98.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

It's a waste of money.

It's a lost cause.

None of the MonsterVerse movies have lost money (not even the divisive KOTM). Shin was the most popular Godzilla movie in Japan in decades. The anime is the most iffy thing mentioned, and it still made profit. How is any of that failing? And "should only be focusing on their home country"? Dude, they're not going to abandon the domestic market. They're trying to expand beyond that, but it's still there at the core providing support. Everything they make will still come out in Japan. After you have your base, you always try to expand. That's business 101. As long as it's reasonable, marketing is always good.

Your GINO argument is false - none of the recent Godzilla stuff has failed.

In fact, that they even want to expand kind of proves you wrong - companies tend to attempt expansion after a period of growth when they're healthy. Which means if Toho is serious about this, then they must have had success so far.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote: Are you trolling me? Shin was highly successful in Japan amd even Kotm made more than G98.
In Japan, yes, Shin was successful. KotM only made money because of Legendary's deal with Wanda.

But I'm not talking about success in Japan or the Chinese bootlicking of corporations, I'm talking about the international appeal of these movies outside of Japan. Outside of America, even. I'm talking about Europe, Australia, the Middle East.

There's only one true Godzilla internationally, and he was created by Roland Emmerich, not Toho.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

It's a waste of money.

It's a lost cause.

... that's not very good evidence. GINO is the most popular in Hungary means why bother and give up all plans of marketing Godzilla in other countries? I mean, I get the glass half full vs half empty views of things, but that's like saying that the glass is half empty so we should all give up on water entirely.

Added in 6 minutes 32 seconds:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote: Are you trolling me? Shin was highly successful in Japan amd even Kotm made more than G98.
In Japan, yes, Shin was successful. KotM only made money because of Legendary's deal with Wanda.

But I'm not talking about success in Japan or the Chinese bootlicking of corporations, I'm talking about the international appeal of these movies outside of Japan. Outside of America, even. I'm talking about Europe, Australia, the Middle East.

There's only one true Godzilla internationally, and he was created by Roland Emmerich, not Toho.
You realize that it all depends on how much they focus on certain markets globally? I mean, you don't put so much into one country it could bankrupt you. Trying to expand doesn't mean every country at once. Every movie Toho will make in this will be shown in Japan, will probably be on Netflix in America. Basically the profit is already guaranteed and safe. Just trying to sell it more in other countries - if it doesn't work in one place, they'll still have been successful enough in the safe markets.

Seriously, this feels like trolling. Emmerich Godzilla was nearly a quarter century ago. It's not some international juggernaut or monolith in any country.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Vakanai wrote: Seriously, this feels like trolling. Emmerich Godzilla was nearly a quarter century ago. It's not some international juggernaut or monolith in any country.
I promise it's not trolling. Call it a loss of faith or something, I don't know.

Between the pandemic and the United States slowly sliding into a dictatorship, it's hard to be optimistic about much of anything these days. Entertainment media included.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Seriously, this feels like trolling. Emmerich Godzilla was nearly a quarter century ago. It's not some international juggernaut or monolith in any country.
I promise it's not trolling. Call it a loss of faith or something, I don't know.

Between the pandemic and the United States slowly sliding into a dictatorship, it's hard to be optimistic about much of anything these days. Entertainment media included.
Fair enough, I get that it's been hard for most of us. Just seems odd to apply that here despite all the evidence of Godzilla's success in the past decade, but hell 2020 can ruin anyone's optimism. Maybe 2021 we'll be in a better place globally and nationally and you can come back to this without an ingrained loss of faith in everyday. We can only hope.

If it helps I try (with mixed success) to look more logically than emotionally at this - and emotions aside Godzilla is doing very well. Sure the MonsterVerse, Shin, and the last anime have been mixed and divisive in the fandom, but each has found some level of success, has been profitable (less important to us, but is good for the health of the franchise and getting Toho to produce more Goji goodness), and hasn't hurt the brand/franchise (helps each version has been distinctly different).

Also helps to just focus on the only good thing we can all agree on no matter how optimistic or pessimistic - more stuff for us fans to enjoy. Whatever happens, more will come out way one way or another. And that's something to look forward to.

I wish some of my other favorite franchises were in as good a place (Dracula, Sherlock Holmes, Frankenstein, hell Superman's on less stable ground these days).

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:But I'm not talking about success in Japan or the Chinese bootlicking of corporations, I'm talking about the international appeal of these movies outside of Japan. Outside of America, even. I'm talking about Europe, Australia, the Middle East.

I guess that's why Germany continues to get steelbook copies of the Japanese Godzilla films and related media (Atragon, both Frankensteins, etc.) of a generally higher quality than the U.S. does.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I wanna see Godzilla use his elbows in melee combat more. Just cause he doesn't have spikes doesn't mean he can't hit with them. I honestly can't remember if Showa Godzilla ever used his elbows, he did shove a lot in the later films when he got in real close with his boxing stance. Also more kicks and knees either from Godzilla or other monsters. Kicks seem kind of rare even by four legged monster, they seem to do more headbutts, bites and jumping attacks. Tech is better now than it was when this series started, computers can do the stuff that is too hard for stuntmen in restrictive suits.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Living Corpse wrote:I wanna see Godzilla use his elbows in melee combat more. Just cause he doesn't have spikes doesn't mean he can't hit with them. I honestly can't remember if Showa Godzilla ever used his elbows, he did shove a lot in the later films when he got in real close with his boxing stance. Also more kicks and knees either from Godzilla or other monsters. Kicks seem kind of rare even by four legged monster, they seem to do more headbutts, bites and jumping attacks. Tech is better now than it was when this series started, computers can do the stuff that is too hard for stuntmen in restrictive suits.
I don't know, Godzilla kneeing a monster in the gut just doesn't jive with me. I'd be down for more tail usage though, the MonsterVerse has been doing that to pretty stellar effect. Also maybe his spines? I dunno, it would depend on the design but if they look sharp and sturdy maybe some raking blows or blocking attacks with them might be cool.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I could easyly see late Showa Godzilla kneeing a monster, heck maybe even early Showa, he tail drop kick King Kong and suplexed Rodan. As for current Goji's, no. Unless Japan's next animated or live action Godzilla is gonna be more slime and agile like late Showa Goji.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Living Corpse wrote:I could easyly see late Showa Godzilla kneeing a monster, heck maybe even early Showa, he tail drop kick King Kong and suplexed Rodan. As for current Goji's, no. Unless Japan's next animated or live action Godzilla is gonna be more slime and agile like late Showa Goji.
Yeah, of all the incarnations late Showa would definitely be the one to knee somebody. I find it somewhat unlikely we'll see Tokusatsu action hero Godzilla anytime in the near future though.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I could easyly see late Showa Godzilla kneeing a monster, heck maybe even early Showa, he tail drop kick King Kong and suplexed Rodan. As for current Goji's, no. Unless Japan's next animated or live action Godzilla is gonna be more slime and agile like late Showa Goji.
Yeah, of all the incarnations late Showa would definitely be the one to knee somebody. I find it somewhat unlikely we'll see Tokusatsu action hero Godzilla anytime in the near future though.
Still that doesn't mean we can't have an enemy or even ally knee someone. Toho, bring back Zone Fighter.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Living Corpse wrote:
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:
Still that doesn't mean we can't have an enemy or even ally knee someone. Toho, bring back Zone Fighter.
Or even better, Toho bring back Zone Fighter AND Jet Jaguar!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Vakanai wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Yeah, of all the incarnations late Showa would definitely be the one to knee somebody. I find it somewhat unlikely we'll see Tokusatsu action hero Godzilla anytime in the near future though.
Heck Jet is the one guy I remember breaking Gigan's arm by kneeing it! Man what is it that Gigan keeps getting his ass kicked by super heroes? (Yes I count Jet Jaguar as a super hero). And Zone broke Ghidorah's necks by kneeing them.

Anyways, even if kneeing is out of the question for Godzilla himself, I wanna see him kick more. We got a little of that when GMK Goji kick Baragon.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

I do hope they appear but I want them to appear in later films, tbh. As long as they have a good setup, I’m fine.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Living Corpse wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Heck Jet is the one guy I remember breaking Gigan's arm by kneeing it! Man what is it that Gigan keeps getting his ass kicked by super heroes? (Yes I count Jet Jaguar as a super hero). And Zone broke Ghidorah's necks by kneeing them.

Anyways, even if kneeing is out of the question for Godzilla himself, I wanna see him kick more. We got a little of that when GMK Goji kick Baragon.
Legendary Godzilla definitely kicks more when it comes to his battles (such as with the Female Muto when he kicks her around before the male first interferes). He should throw some more elbows though, that would be awesome.
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

We've seen Maser Tanks work alongside normal tanks and fighter jet and helicopters against monsters. I wanna see them in warfare with other human armies or at least alien armies UFOs and Mecha. It's so weird to me they are absent in Vs. Hedorah, Destroy All Monsters and the Showa Mechagodzilla films.