Your Hopes for World of Godzilla

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Your Hopes for World of Godzilla

Post by miguelnuva »

VoyagerGoji wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote:
Gigantis wrote:Can we have a Rodan who isn't incredibly smaller than Godzilla again?
t h a n k y o u

Mothra and Rodan were waaayyyy too small!
I want the terrifying Showa Rodan back.
Rodan wasn't terrifying in the Showa series he was simply as strong as Godzilla with trade offs between the two.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

miguelnuva wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:
KingKong2005 wrote: t h a n k y o u

Mothra and Rodan were waaayyyy too small!
Rodan wasn't terrifying in the Showa series he was simply as strong as Godzilla with trade offs between the two.
Terrifyingly strong and an equal force is what I think Voyager was implying.
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

KingKong2005 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:
Terrifyingly strong and an equal force is what I think Voyager was implying.
Yes, as well as the same size as Godzilla. I was mainly referring to 56 Rodan anyways.
For Emperor and Empire!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, the '56 Rodan is in large part a horror movie. One of the very, very few things I thought KotM '19 got right was restoring some of that tone to Rodan.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly i kinda want Godzilla and Rodan to have a Black and Grey mortality thing going on. One's bad sure, but the other's still worse, and in deciding who should be the main target for the humans, that's what nails it.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Rodan should have his wind breath back.

KaijuDude810
Yojimbo

Post by KaijuDude810 »

I wanna see some really weird and creative new monsters.

Besides the MUTOs, who were really interesting but are unrelated because they're Monsterverse, and Servum, who looks super bland and boring, I don’t think we’ve gotten a wholly original monster since like Megaguirus in 2000, and she’s not that much to ride home about. Please correct me though because I feel like I might be forgetting something.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

KaijuDude810 wrote:I wanna see some really weird and creative new monsters.

Besides the MUTOs, who were really interesting but are unrelated because they're Monsterverse, and Servum, who looks super bland and boring, I don’t think we’ve gotten a wholly original monster since like Megaguirus in 2000, and she’s not that much to ride home about. Please correct me though because I feel like I might be forgetting something.
My man Monster X! :monsterx:
Image Image

KaijuDude810
Yojimbo

Post by KaijuDude810 »

KingKong2005 wrote:

My man Monster X! :monsterx:
Oh damn, yeah he was a great one, but I hesitate to call him 100% an original monster since he’s technically an offshoot of Ghidorah, similar to how Kamata Kun is an offshoot of Godzilla. But yeah he was really cool. Only minor nitpick I had was that I wished he had a bit more color, but I understand since they were probably trying to hide the fact that he is Ghidorah.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Rodan should have his wind breath back.
Same here.

Imagine if they implemented wind in fights. Disrupting Godzilla's atomic breath, disorienting other monsters.

New monsters is the most important thing for me. I'm old enough to remember feeling sparks in the theaters when Orga revealed himself for the first time. My jaw dropped as a kid because he wasn't anyone from the old movies. I just want to have that feeling again.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

So at a recent licensing fair covered by Gormaru Island, quoted Toho as "looking into more character themes" for Godzilla similar to Shin or G Earth with mixed media. i wonder and thrown some ideas together.

1. Alien fighter Godzilla: Perhaps similar origin to Debont's or it could work with anything, but one "Planet of Godzilla" by Masaaki Shindo for Uchusen Magazine volume 66 (checkout the Super Godzilla facebook page for more info) has a weird, but cool scenario that has grown on me. It was illustrated by Toho's Minoru Yoshida. Apparently a spaceship in the future lands on a Planet G and a stow away organism gets onboard and kills the crew till Jeff Goto survives. On Earth a fragment of the strange dinosaur creature grows into a planetary threat while Jeff from the other planet's radiation and the cells from the first turns into Godzilla. I could see this as CGI or anime in a future like 2154 with fan service abounds. Maybe the ship is the ship with a hyperdrive and we can call it Planet Gorath. We could have tons of references such as servum and baragon/anguirius-like creatures. Throw in drama about the main character losing his humanity and voila! Either way new alien kaiju and or reinvented kilaaks could battle this semi heroic or antihero itteration. :shock:

2. Eco guardian G: the SnowGodzilla looks similar to a white G from a gemstone audition in which the oxygen destroyer caused massive disease and ecological damage. I can see something similar being a thing. Throw in dark imagery of pollution and environmental degredation and bingo!
Last edited by imposterzilla on Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

My hopes for World of Godzilla are:

1. Make Godzilla and other monsters a character. He’s a Kaiju but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a character. I feel like the Anime trilogy made him feel like he’s just there. I want Godzilla to intelligent, Earth is intelligent but they never really shown it that much in the film. I don’t want Godzilla to rely just on instinct. Also not only talking about Godzilla, but other monsters.

2. Give some cameo monsters some respect. I feel like sometimes when we see some cool monsters make a cameo appearance I feel like we just don’t see them again. Like I don’t want that, I want them to have some respect in some way.

3. I don’t want the universe only to have movies, I feel like we need spin off series and mangas that are canon to World of Godzilla.

4. If they make spin off series, I don’t want it to always take place on Earth. I mean, they can take place on Earth, but I would like a spin off series to be on other planets, for example on another planet can’t think of a name. But have it set on a planet before it’s destroyed by SpaceGodzilla or something.

5. If they are gonna set up a big villain, they would need to have a slow progress. Let’s say for example, SpaceGodzilla was gonna be the big bad for Earth’s kaijus. Have a good setup, for example, someone was looking at the night sky until several stars went supernova and disappeared. That’s what I want to see, a good set up, not only for villains but for epic versus films as well.

6. Last but not least, I hope it doesn’t go as goofy as Showa era. I want it to stay the way it is, at least imo.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Denis wrote:My hopes for World of Godzilla are:

1. Make Godzilla and other monsters a character. He’s a Kaiju but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a character. I feel like the Anime trilogy made him feel like he’s just there. I want Godzilla to intelligent, Earth is intelligent but they never really shown it that much in the film. I don’t want Godzilla to rely just on instinct. Also not only talking about Godzilla, but other monsters.

2. Give some cameo monsters some respect. I feel like sometimes when we see some cool monsters make a cameo appearance I feel like we just don’t see them again. Like I don’t want that, I want them to have some respect in some way.

3. I don’t want the universe only to have movies, I feel like we need spin off series and mangas that are canon to World of Godzilla.

4. If they make spin off series, I don’t want it to always take place on Earth. I mean, they can take place on Earth, but I would like a spin off series to be on other planets, for example on another planet can’t think of a name. But have it set on a planet before it’s destroyed by SpaceGodzilla or something.

5. If they are gonna set up a big villain, they would need to have a slow progress. Let’s say for example, SpaceGodzilla was gonna be the big bad for Earth’s kaijus. Have a good setup, for example, someone was looking at the night sky until several stars went supernova and disappeared. That’s what I want to see, a good set up, not only for villains but for epic versus films as well.

6. Last but not least, I hope it doesn’t go as goofy as Showa era. I want it to stay the way it is, at least imo.
As for #6, would you consider The MCU “goofy”?

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

LegendZilla wrote:
Denis wrote:My hopes for World of Godzilla are:

As for #6, would you consider The MCU “goofy”?
What I mean by goofy is having silly stories, and infamous moments. That’s what I mean.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Would it be an innately bad idea if this series of films embraced more fantastical elements as time goes by? In the MCU, The original Iron man was relatively grounded compared to the films that came after it, so why can’t the same be done for Godzilla?

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

LegendZilla wrote:Would it be an innately bad idea if this series of films embraced more fantastical elements as time goes by? In the MCU, The original Iron man was relatively grounded compared to the films that came after it, so why can’t the same be done for Godzilla?
Definitely not bad at all! I was hoping the MV followed this idea and stayed grounded just a bit longer. It seems it took them 2 films to go completely crazy, I was hoping they would slowly ease into it after GvK. But that seems much harder. Could it have been done with effort and good writing? Definitely. Doesn't matter now though. I'm sure World of Godzilla wouldn't matter at all if it goes crazy or not. I mean I would prefer keeping it grounded and slowly easing into the fantastical elements, but I just want to see that effort.
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I hope they scrap this World of Godzilla idea. The franchise will never be regarded as anything more than B-Grade trash outside of Japan. This project is doomed to fail, and Toho will only lose a lot of money in the long run.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I hope they scrap this World of Godzilla idea. The franchise will never be regarded as anything more than B-Grade trash outside of Japan. This project is doomed to fail, and Toho will only lose a lot of money in the long run.
Toho isn't going to lose anymore money then they would with their other Godzilla films.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I hope they scrap this World of Godzilla idea. The franchise will never be regarded as anything more than B-Grade trash outside of Japan. This project is doomed to fail, and Toho will only lose a lot of money in the long run.
Uh...how? Why? I mean, the World of Godzilla is basically just a plan to make more Godzilla movies/shows/media/merchandise. I mean by your argument, Toho should just give up making any Godzilla content period, since he "will never be regarded as anything more than B-Grade trash outside of Japan."

That's not a hope, that's a surrender!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote:
Toho isn't going to lose anymore money then they would with their other Godzilla films.
World of Godzilla isn't a new series of films, its an initiative to expand the franchise's international footprint.

It's a waste of money.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.