Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Re: Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:18 pm
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:57 am
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:28 am

Where did you hear that the character and not just the film will go PD?
The rights to the novel version of Kong are already public domain. "King Kong" the movie becomes public domain in 2029. This includes the character King Kong. They can include a giant ape named Kong or King Kong in a any Toho movie from that point on. They can adapt the story to Kong and King Kong too. They just can't title the whatever films they make "King Kong." This is how public domain works.

Same thing will happen with Superman in a few years. People will have publishing rights to the character and his stories. They just can't title the films "Superman" or "Action Comics"
Allow me to post this one more time : https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... ill_enter/

I'm pretty sure it explicitly states that only the original 1933 movie will go PD and not the character.
That reddit post doesn't have a good understanding of how PD works.

Toho can use the novel version of the character now and adapt the film version of the character King Kong starting in 2029. They just can't title the films "King Kong", label merchandise (such as toys) "King Kong," or use King Kong designs and story ideas from King Kong movies past 1933.

Toho can get around this by naming the movies and merchandise "Kong" but calling him "King Kong" in the scripts.

Universal is only entitled to the rights to 1940s-Present King Kong movies and merchandizing rights to the name "King Kong"
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:49 pm
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:57 am
The rights to the novel version of Kong are already public domain. "King Kong" the movie becomes public domain in 2029. This includes the character King Kong. They can include a giant ape named Kong or King Kong in a any Toho movie from that point on. They can adapt the story to Kong and King Kong too. They just can't title the whatever films they make "King Kong." This is how public domain works.

Same thing will happen with Superman in a few years. People will have publishing rights to the character and his stories. They just can't title the films "Superman" or "Action Comics"
Allow me to post this one more time : https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... ill_enter/

I'm pretty sure it explicitly states that only the original 1933 movie will go PD and not the character.

Toho can use the novel version of the character now and adapt the film version of the character King Kong starting in 2029. They just can't title the films "King Kong", label merchandise (such as toys) "King Kong," or use King Kong designs and story ideas from King Kong movies past 1933.

Toho can get around this by naming the movies and merchandise "Kong" but calling him "King Kong" in the scripts.

Universal is only entitled to the rights to 1940s-Present King Kong movies and merchandizing rights to the name "King Kong"
Thanks for clarifying. In that case, (King) Kong will probably go full PD in the year 2043.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:09 pm

Thanks for clarifying. In that case, (King) Kong will probably go full PD in the year 2043.
Nope, whoever has the rights to King Kong can just re up them at some point.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:24 pm

Sadly, I think corporations like Disney will lobby to abolish the PD all together one day.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:31 pm

Sadly, I think corporations like Disney will lobby to abolish the PD all together one day.
Disney would lose a lot of their animation as most of the Disney animated movies come from PD.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:10 pm

Disney would lose a lot of their animation as most of the Disney animated movies come from PD.
I think they meant abolish things ever falling into the PD ever again. It's literally impossible to take myths, legends, fairy tales, and folk tales out of public domain.
Last edited by Vakanai on Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:20 am

I think they meant abolish things ever falling into the PD ever again. It's literally impossible to take myths, legends, fairy tales, and folk tales out of public domain.
The last deadline allowing for companies to lobby to extend copyright duration time was in 2019 and surprisingly, Disney did not do anything.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:14 pm

The last deadline allowing for companies to lobby to extend copyright duration time was in 2019 and surprisingly, Disney did not do anything.
Guess they're going to double down on trademark laws then. They probably see an angle there to make public domain use of their stuff seem like a foolhardy thing to mess with.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:30 pm

Guess they're going to double down on trademark laws then. They probably see an angle there to make public domain use of their stuff seem like a foolhardy thing to mess with.
They'll probably due what DC did with Superman and trademark all the important parts of said characters.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:00 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:30 pm

They'll probably due what DC did with Superman and trademark all the important parts of said characters.
Makes sense to me. The way it was explained, once you take away all the things that are trademarked to Superman and DC, and subtract the things that still won't fall into PD for a long while to come...it just comes across too much as "not Superman" to be worth bothering with.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Quite honestly considering how bonkers Toho has gotten with Godzilla as of late, a modern Toho take on Kong has me legitimately curious to see what the heck they could cook up.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

If King Kong appears in World of Godzilla, I hope they make him have his own story, don’t let him fight Godzilla or something. Have a story focused on him, on Skull Island or something

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Denis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:08 am If King Kong appears in World of Godzilla, I hope they make him have his own story, don’t let him fight Godzilla or something. Have a story focused on him, on Skull Island or something
You mean like give him his own movie at first, then have him face off against Godzilla like how the Monsterverse did?

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:25 pm
Denis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:08 am If King Kong appears in World of Godzilla, I hope they make him have his own story, don’t let him fight Godzilla or something. Have a story focused on him, on Skull Island or something
You mean like give him his own movie at first, then have him face off against Godzilla like how the Monsterverse did?
No have his own series, in the same universe, but don’t have him face off against Godzilla.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Denis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:59 pm
No have his own series, in the same universe, but don’t have him face off against Godzilla.
That's like having a Mothra film series in the same continuity, yet never having her cross paths with Godzilla. It's just something unavoidable at this point I'm afraid.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue May 25, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:04 pm

That's like having a Mothra film series in the same continuity, yet never having her cross paths with Godzilla. It's just something unavoidable at this point I'm afraid.
Not really they did that in the Showa era, even though it was just one film. I would prefer they do a spinoff series on Skull Island or something.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Denis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:12 pm

Not really they did that in the Showa era, even though it was just one film. I would prefer they do a spinoff series on Skull Island or something.
But that doesn’t matter since they already fought in 62.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

Why not?

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Cosbydaf wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:18 pm
Why not?
Because we just had a rematch, there’s really no point of doing it again.

Added in 1 minute 34 seconds:
Voyager wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:17 pm
Denis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:12 pm

But that doesn’t matter since they already fought in 62.
It’s very unlikely Toho would do another rematch a few years after GvK.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Denis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:25 pm
Cosbydaf wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:18 pm
Why not?
Because we just had a rematch, there’s really no point of doing it again.
Another face-off between Godzilla and Kong within our lifetime won't hurt. So long as it doesn't happen too soon after the one we just got. Having him being a regular in the Godzilla franchise would be good for variety, since having Mothra, Ghidorah and MG almost every time just gets redundant.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue May 25, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.