Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
kaijuguy19 wrote:
I thought the reason Toho gave Kong lightning powers was that to make him more level to fight against Godzilla and his atomic breath to go along with increasing his height to match Godzilla's at the time to be honest.
I've never heard any real reason why they did it, but assuming if that was there reasoning then by watching the movie they did a poor ass job of conveying it - all it did was give Kong a second wind, and some poor lightning effect around his hands which Godzilla never seemed to react to. No seriously, Godzilla never acted like there was any electric shock or anything from that. If you took out the lightning effect and just had Kong get a second wind just because, it'd play out the same exact way. So yeah, feels a lot like they did something screwy and unnecessary for no reason, and I hope the lightning "powers" never come back on Kong just relies on his strength against Godzilla.
Godzilla does react, he starts losing the fight and yelling more.
Doesn't really look like he's losing the fight because of lightning powers though - just looks like Kong's fighting better. If you took out the lightning effects the fight wouldn't really change.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Vakanai wrote: I've never heard any real reason why they did it, but assuming if that was there reasoning then by watching the movie they did a poor ass job of conveying it - all it did was give Kong a second wind, and some poor lightning effect around his hands which Godzilla never seemed to react to. No seriously, Godzilla never acted like there was any electric shock or anything from that. If you took out the lightning effect and just had Kong get a second wind just because, it'd play out the same exact way. So yeah, feels a lot like they did something screwy and unnecessary for no reason, and I hope the lightning "powers" never come back on Kong just relies on his strength against Godzilla.
Doesn't really look like he's losing the fight because of lightning powers though - just looks like Kong's fighting better. If you took out the lightning effects the fight wouldn't really change.
If you take away Kong's powers you also take away the thing that is making Kong stronger is also making Godzilla weaker and then the previous battle they had looks wierd.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
If you take at Kong's powers you also take put the thing that is making Kong stronger is making Godzilla weaker and then the previous battle they had looks wierd.
...I'm sorry, I have no clue what you're trying to say here, could you rephrase that a bit clearer?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Doesn't really look like he's losing the fight because of lightning powers though - just looks like Kong's fighting better. If you took out the lightning effects the fight wouldn't really change.
If you take away Kong's powers you also take away the thing that is making Kong stronger and making Godzilla weaker and then the previous battle they had looks wierd.
...I'm sorry, I have no clue what you're trying to say here, could you rephrase that a bit clearer?
Kong is being boosted from what is weakening Godzilla. With out that detail Kong going from losing to Godzilla to winning and forcing Godzilla back would look strange.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
If you take away Kong's powers you also take away the thing that is making Kong stronger and making Godzilla weaker and then the previous battle they had looks wierd.
Kong is being boosted from what is weakening Godzilla. With out that detail Kong going from losing to Godzilla to winning and forcing Godzilla back would look strange.
Disagree. Without that little detail - it just looks like a normal fight to me. Kong gets a second wind and starts fighting better, hence Godzilla being forced back. Just because they tell us that doesn't mean it's needed. Plenty of fights have one character losing to suddenly pulling on hidden reserves and bringing out more ferocity in battle and winning, no extra stupid powers required. Ultimately, there was no real reason Kong needed the electrical boost, and it wasn't utilized well on top of that. Just say Kong got a second wind and started fighting more ferociously all of a sudden and you got everything you need.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Vakanai wrote: ...I'm sorry, I have no clue what you're trying to say here, could you rephrase that a bit clearer?
Disagree. Without that little detail - it just looks like a normal fight to me. Kong gets a second wind and starts fighting better, hence Godzilla being forced back. Just because they tell us that doesn't mean it's needed. Plenty of fights have one character losing to suddenly pulling on hidden reserves and bringing out more ferocity in battle and winning, no extra stupid powers required. Ultimately, there was no real reason Kong needed the electrical boost, and it wasn't utilized well on top of that. Just say Kong got a second wind and started fighting more ferociously all of a sudden and you got everything you need.
Kong goes from nearly dead to stronger than Godzilla and Godzilla can't match it? I guess at that point sure.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Kong goes from nearly dead to stronger than Godzilla put the blue and Godzilla can't match it? I guess at that point sure.
"Put the blue"? I'm sorry, I don't know that one.

And Kong wasn't nearly dead. He was done for a moment, but it's not like he was all broken bones and bleeding profusely and needed a kaiju sized ambulance. There's been real world fights where people looked more beat up than Kong did only to pull out a win at the last minute. If you can't believe that, well, I don't know what to tell you. I just don't believe the electrical powers were necessary and added no value to the fight or the film, and it would have been better if they'd done they fight without it.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Disagree. Without that little detail - it just looks like a normal fight to me. Kong gets a second wind and starts fighting better, hence Godzilla being forced back. Just because they tell us that doesn't mean it's needed. Plenty of fights have one character losing to suddenly pulling on hidden reserves and bringing out more ferocity in battle and winning, no extra stupid powers required. Ultimately, there was no real reason Kong needed the electrical boost, and it wasn't utilized well on top of that. Just say Kong got a second wind and started fighting more ferociously all of a sudden and you got everything you need.
Kong goes from nearly dead to stronger than Godzilla and Godzilla can't match it? I guess at that point sure.

And Kong wasn't nearly dead. He was done for a moment, but it's not like he was all broken bones and bleeding profusely and needed a kaiju sized ambulance. There's been real world fights where people looked more beat up than Kong did only to pull out a win at the last minute. If you can't believe that, well, I don't know what to tell you. I just don't believe the electrical powers were necessary and added no value to the fight or the film, and it would have been better if they'd done they fight without it.
Kong was unconscious, buried under rocks with Godzilla setting the forest ablaze. If this was a real fight as you mentioned Godzilla also wouldn't have stopped fighting long enough for Kong to get recharged. I've seen several fights where a person is losing and gets a lucky punch or something that changes the fight.

No one in Godzillas position would be losing that fight with out it being a movie or some kind of interference. Godzilla has the high ground and literally stops because Kong looks dead.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

Kong was unconscious, buried under rocks with Godzilla setting the forest ablaze. If this was a real fight as you mentioned Godzilla also wouldn't have stopped fighting long enough for Kong to get recharged. I've seen several fights where a person is losing and gets a lucky punch or something that changes the fight.

No one in Godzillas position would be losing that fight with out it being a movie or some kind of interference. Godzilla has the high ground and literally stops because Kong looks dead.
These aren't people though but animals (kinda). Makes sense Godzilla would stop once Kong stops moving. But Kong was only out briefly. And it's hardly the first fight in fiction that takes a similar route - but most don't pull random powers out their butts.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

To be fair, King Kong has quite a complicated copyright issue.

Ideally, I may have Mechani-Kong, but even then, Toho couldn't use that either.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SonOfGorgo wrote:To be fair, King Kong has quite a complicated copyright issue.

Toho can use Mechani-Kong just fine. Toho got bullied in the 90's no one could have really stopped their Heisei kong attempts.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Hasn't Mechani-Kong actually been making a couple of cameos here and there? I think that means they can use him.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

tyrantgoji wrote:Hasn't Mechani-Kong actually been making a couple of cameos here and there? I think that means they can use him.
Here and there where? I've not heard of him getting any use.

Also I can't say how you can use Mechani-Kong without Kong - Kong is kind of intrical to why there's a giant robot Kong around. Like having Mechgodzilla in a world without a Godzilla.

Toho can use Kong though since the novel is public domain. Just can't call him King.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:Hasn't Mechani-Kong actually been making a couple of cameos here and there? I think that means they can use him.
He did make that cameo in that Godzilland OVA.
Last edited by Gigantis on Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Never saw it. When was it, and where can it be viewed?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Here and there where? I've not heard of him getting any use.
Never saw it. When was it, and where can it be viewed?
... Good question.
Last edited by Gigantis on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

miguelnuva wrote:

Toho can use Mechani-Kong just fine. Toho got bullied in the 90's no one could have really stopped their Heisei kong attempts.
Maybe, and to be fair, there was Bulgario
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

Who or what is Bulgario?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Vakanai wrote:
SonOfGorgo wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Who or what is Bulgario?
A primate-like robot from The Justirisers that was inspired by Mechani-Kong. It was not the only expy of a Toho monster, as Riseross is based on Mechagodzilla and Megarion is based on Moguera.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
SonOfGorgo wrote: Maybe, and to be fair, there was Bulgario
Who or what is Bulgario?
A primate-like robot from The Justirisers that was inspired by Mechani-Kong. It was not the only expy of a Toho monster, as Riseross is based on Mechagodzilla and Megarion is based on Moguera.
...who or what are the Justirisers?