Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Denis
Monsterland Worker

Re: Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

Post by Denis »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:27 pm
Denis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:25 pm
Cosbydaf wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:18 pm

Why not?
Because we just had a rematch, there’s really no point of doing it again.
Another battle within our lifetime won't hurt. So long as it doesn't happen too soon after the one we just got. Having him being a regular in the Godzilla franchise would be good for variety, since having Mothra, Ghidorah and MG every odd time just gets redundant.
If your going to have another rematch, just don’t do it a few years after GvK, that won’t be a good idea. Just do it at least a decade later. Plus, just feel like another rematch isn’t needed at this point, sure it may be cool to have a round 3, but really what’s the point of having a third film of them fighting, just doesn’t make sense.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Denis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:12 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:04 pm
Denis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:59 pm

No have his own series, in the same universe, but don’t have him face off against Godzilla.
That's like having a Mothra film series in the same continuity, yet never having her cross paths with Godzilla. It's just something unavoidable at this point I'm afraid.
Not really they did that in the Showa era, even though it was just one film. I would prefer they do a spinoff series on Skull Island or something.
King Kong escapes is not in the Showa Godzilla timeline.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:55 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:04 pm

That's like having a Mothra film series in the same continuity, yet never having her cross paths with Godzilla. It's just something unavoidable at this point I'm afraid.
Not really they did that in the Showa era, even though it was just one film. I would prefer they do a spinoff series on Skull Island or something.
King Kong Escapes actually is the Showa Godzilla timeline. The Godzilla Dictionary confirmed it.
Last edited by Denis on Tue May 25, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Denis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:26 pm
Cosbydaf wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:18 pm
No have his own series, in the same universe, but don’t have him face off against Godzilla.
Why not?
Because we just had a rematch, there’s really no point of doing it again.
I mean, you could always do it with an actually semi-decent plot and writing this time around. I think it'd be worth revisiting just to prove it can be done well story-wise. You can't show up GvK on the CGI action and spectacle, but like how Shin showed up 2014 on other fronts Toho could make a better movie than what Legendary gave us.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Denis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:15 pm

King Kong Escapes actually is the Showa Godzilla timeline. The Godzilla Dictionary confirmed it.
Even if it is, it's a different Kong.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:26 pm

Do we know it's a different Kong? Like, did they say it was different from the one who fought Godzilla? Because otherwise if it's the same continuity it seems reasonable to assume it is the same one, right?

(I mean yes there's some continuity errors, but this series was always kind of loose)
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

You can headcanon it if you want to (I do) but Escapes is definitely a different continuity.

It would be really cool to see Toho get to work with Kong again. Assuming they renegotiate their deal with Legendary for Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, etc. maybe they can negotiate for the use of Kong for a certain number of pictures. The Kong/Godzilla battle concept still has legs; a movie made by Toho again, and a "third round" stalemate breaker. Realistically, it would be something they could build to a little bit and then market it internationally.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

That’s the point. There were two King Kong’s in one continuity.
You can headcanon it if you want to (I do) but Escapes is definitely a different continuity.
It isn’t they confirmed it was by a guidebook.

Added in 40 minutes 55 seconds:
Vakanai wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:37 pm

Do we know it's a different Kong? Like, did they say it was different from the one who fought Godzilla? Because otherwise if it's the same continuity it seems reasonable to assume it is the same one, right?

(I mean yes there's some continuity errors, but this series was always kind of loose)
It was a different one, the one that appears is smaller than the 1962 King Kong. Not to mention, Second Gen King Kong came from a different location.
Last edited by Denis on Wed May 26, 2021 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Denis wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:23 am It isn’t they confirmed it was by a guidebook.
I dunno, one guidebook out of allll the guidebooks they've released, by different authors with conflicting information doesn't exactly seem airtight to me. Sometimes there's two King Ghidorahs in the Showa timeline, which I will never subscribe to, even if the ghost of Tomoyuki Tanaka haunted me for the rest of my days.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:54 am
Denis wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:23 am It isn’t they confirmed it was by a guidebook.
I dunno, one guidebook out of allll the guidebooks they've released, by different authors with conflicting information doesn't exactly seem airtight to me. Sometimes there's two King Ghidorahs in the Showa timeline, which I will never subscribe to, even if the ghost of Tomoyuki Tanaka haunted me for the rest of my days.
It’s also worth mentioning they have two Gorosaurus, 1st Gen and 2nd Gen Gorosaurus.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

It is entirely possible that Kong when he swimming in the ocean got pulled off course/got lost and ended up on the island he's on in King Kong Escapes. There's no way for it to be the same island as the one in 1962

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

ROMG4 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:38 am It is entirely possible that Kong when he swimming in the ocean got pulled off course/got lost and ended up on the island he's on in King Kong Escapes. There's no way for it to be the same island as the one in 1962
Then how would he shrink in size?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Denis wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:08 am
ROMG4 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:38 am It is entirely possible that Kong when he swimming in the ocean got pulled off course/got lost and ended up on the island he's on in King Kong Escapes. There's no way for it to be the same island as the one in 1962
Old age.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:32 am
Old age.
That’s unlikely since age won’t dramatically shrink his size. Not to mention, this was likely a different King Kong since 1st Gen King Kong (1962) was legend of Faro Island, while 2nd Gen King Kong (1967) is was legend of Mondo Island.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Denis wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:40 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:32 am

Old age.
That’s unlikely since age won’t dramatically shrink his size. Not to mention, this was likely a different King Kong since 1st Gen King Kong (1962) was legend of Faro Island, while 2nd Gen King Kong (1967) is was legend of Mondo Island.
I'm playing Devil's advocate with old age casuing him to shrink.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Could Kong show up? Sure. Should he? No. I want the Reiwa era to be as different from the MV as possible. So far I like the contrast we have between the two. MV is more of your westernized big budget schlock and the Reiwa will have that traditional Toho flare that we have all come to know and love. That said I am not in resentment of Kong showing up in future non MV entries but I just have the feeling that if they did do that it would be way too similar to the MV we just got instead of something different.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I do think Mechani-Kong might have potential. Heck, could even pull a Kiryu with oddly preserved Kong remains providing DNA for cloning tissue. Doesn't feel disrepsepectful as Kong did die in his original film and the island was destroyed in the sequel.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Lesko wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:04 pm Could Kong show up? Sure. Should he? No. I want the Reiwa era to be as different from the MV as possible. So far I like the contrast we have between the two. MV is more of your westernized big budget schlock and the Reiwa will have that traditional Toho flare that we have all come to know and love. That said I am not in resentment of Kong showing up in future non MV entries but I just have the feeling that if they did do that it would be way too similar to the MV we just got instead of something different.
Kong showing up in the MV and Toho series is no different than Godzilla showing up in both series. If the plot differences enough it won't make a difference.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:52 pm
Lesko wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:04 pm Could Kong show up? Sure. Should he? No. I want the Reiwa era to be as different from the MV as possible. So far I like the contrast we have between the two. MV is more of your westernized big budget schlock and the Reiwa will have that traditional Toho flare that we have all come to know and love. That said I am not in resentment of Kong showing up in future non MV entries but I just have the feeling that if they did do that it would be way too similar to the MV we just got instead of something different.
Kong showing up in the MV and Toho series is no different than Godzilla showing up in both series. If the plot differences enough it won't make a difference.
As long as they make it different enough that it doesn't feel like another copy of GvK or the MV I am all for it. So far with the anime trilogy, Shin, and now Singular Pint it seems Toho has done pretty good so far at keeping them totally different.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I’d rather not see kong be like a centipede or some shit
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?