Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

Post by LegendZilla »

ROMG4 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:00 pm Doesn't the original 33 Novel King Kong enter the public domain in a few years? How does that work with Japanese copyright law and exchange?
The original film goes PD in 2029.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:39 am I wonder what a modern Toho Kong suit would look like
I think we're gonna have to come to terms with the fact that suitmation as we know it (aside from TV as seen with the Ultra series till this day) is a dead art form. He will no doubt be full CGI like Shin Godzilla. However, they could bring him to life with motion capture. As for his design, it would be interesting if they drew influence from a Japanese Macaque (the main influence for Toho's Kong design in the first place).

If he did get lucky enough to come back in Toho produced films, what kaiju should he be pitted against (besides Godzilla)? It would be cool to see him finally go up against Mothra as intended back in 1966 and maybe he could face of against King Ghidorah.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:10 am Quite honestly considering how bonkers Toho has gotten with Godzilla as of late, a modern Toho take on Kong has me legitimately curious to see what the heck they could cook up.
Let me give a suggestion. What if Kong starts out in the film at similar height he was in 1933, only to get injected with the DNA of King Ghidorah to grow closer to Godzilla's scale? It could be a good explanation for why he would gain electric powers.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

You know... a possibility I don't think I've seen discussed yet... instead of being crossed over with Godzilla again, what if Kong meets Gamera or Ultraman? Once he becomes public domain, any studio will be able to use him. All kinds of outlandish crossovers will be possible. :lol:

Man, imagine Gamera taking on a dangerous, villainous Kong, how wild that would be. This wouldn't be like a Godzilla crossover, you know? Kong will have no owner mandating that he be handled in any certain way, so anything can theoretically happen.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I can certainly see it in the future for sure. Maybe not anytime soon given Legendary and Toho still deciding to still continue the MonsterVerse but I can definitely see it happening again at some point.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

So, if Kong ever does show up in some future Japanese Godzilla products, where could Toho go with him? Considering how wacky Godzilla's been treated so far..

I was thinking maybe they'd go the "GMK" route with him? Have him be portrayed as more of a literal god with magical powers and what not. Not necessarily saying that means he'll gain a beam attack or anything, but maybe he does have some sort of.. mystic attribute to help him be on par with Toho's roster of kaiju again. Maybe he coats his arms in some sort of powerful magic to give some more power to his punches? The MonsterVerse already went with Kong being able to construct weapons and stuff, so that's taken, and I'm not sure if Toho would just go with him suddenly gaining lightning powers again.
Last edited by Gigantis on Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:58 am So, if Kong ever does show up in some future Japanese Godzilla products, where could Toho go with him? Considering how wacky Godzilla's been treated so far..

I was thinking maybe they'd go the "GMK" route with him? Have him be portrayed as more of a literal god with magical powers and what not. Not necessarily saying that means he'll gain a beam attack or anything, but maybe he does have some sort of.. mystic attribute to help him be on par with Toho's roster of kaiju again. Maybe he coats his arms in some sort of powerful magic to give some more power to his punches? The MonsterVerse already went with Kong being able to construct weapons and stuff, so that's taken, and I'm not sure if Toho would just go with him suddenly gaining lightning powers again.
Here's something interesting; the new design revealed by Toho for this new Godzilla attraction apparently takes place after Godzilla's battle with King Kong. Toho straight up uses the name "King Kong". The design is very much like the Tokyo SOS design, with some hints of 62 here and there but generally looks like a scanned Neca 2003 design.
Image Image

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

"Shin King Kong" sounds really badass, ngl. I hope they do a Shin Kong film.

Also, I'm excited at the possibility of Skull Island in this universe. Maybe even becoming the new "Monster Island" where the Mothra tribe, Kumonga, the Mantises, and most monsters live.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Kongqueror
Ronin

Post by Kongqueror »

Hope, not. Kong being a core tenant of the US movies is what separates them from recently produced Toho content. One is a shared universe.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Kongqueror wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:34 am Hope, not. Kong being a core tenant of the US movies is what separates them from recently produced Toho content. One is a shared universe.
Should have Kong never been featured alongside Godzilla in the first place? Plus, the character goes full Public domain in 2029, so Toho might as well take advantage of it.

Kongqueror
Ronin

Post by Kongqueror »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:03 pm
Kongqueror wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:34 am Hope, not. Kong being a core tenant of the US movies is what separates them from recently produced Toho content. One is a shared universe.
Should have Kong never been featured alongside Godzilla in the first place? Plus, the character goes full Public domain in 2029, so Toho might as well take advantage of it.
You know what, good point. Hope they add him. He was a classic in the Showa

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

gmk but its kong beating the shit out of the jobber dinosaurs

baragon Varan and anguirus but this time it ends in a 3 v 1 and baragon wins :P a nice tribute to kk 05 and gmk

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

…Wait, I thought that he was already public domain technically? Through the original novelization? God his copyright situation is confusing lol.

Wouldn’t mind him showing up in another Toho film if it ever gets to that point.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I'd rather see them create something new than reuse him or a Toho monster.
Last edited by JVM on Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dv-218 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:59 pm …Wait, I thought that he was already public domain technically? Through the original novelization? God his copyright situation is confusing lol.
So, I think the story is kinda like this.

The novelization is in public domain. Marian C. Cooper completely forgot to copyright it before he died, and therefore, anyone wanting to make Kong related media could do so via adapting the book.

BUT, I believe Kong’s merchandise rights are still in Universal's hands, so Toho and Bandai wouldn't be able to produce a would be new Toho Kong action figure without there permission.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:07 am BUT, I believe Kong’s merchandise rights are still in Universal's hands, so Toho and Bandai wouldn't be able to produce a would be new Toho Kong action figure without there permission.
And if we can't sell merch of the monster, what's the point!

I feel like Kong's involvement with Godzilla in the MV is more than enough exposure to warrant never having Kong in a Toho/Japanese feature again. Like we have Kong 1962 already, so we already have the Toho-take. Now we have MV Kong, who already appeared in two movies, and fought Godzilla multiple times, and will appear again in The New Empire. While I'm excited for that, do we really need Kong again?

If we're going to rehash old stuff, I'd much rather have Frankenstien appear and fight Godzilla. Maybe Sanda and or Gaira. Or a new monster.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:09 pmAnd if we can't sell merch of the monster, what's the point!

I feel like Kong's involvement with Godzilla in the MV is more than enough exposure to warrant never having Kong in a Toho/Japanese feature again. Like we have Kong 1962 already, so we already have the Toho-take. Now we have MV Kong, who already appeared in two movies, and fought Godzilla multiple times, and will appear again in The New Empire. While I'm excited for that, do we really need Kong again?

If we're going to rehash old stuff, I'd much rather have Frankenstien appear and fight Godzilla. Maybe Sanda and or Gaira. Or a new monster.
I think the most interesting way to revisit a Toho Kong would be in a multi-monster film. For a really long time I wanted to see King Ghidorah and Kong in the same film at some point. My interest in that concept has long passed but I definitely think it'd be more interesting to see Kong with other members of the Toho pantheon than having another focused match with Godzilla. I do think it's time to move on from the old stuff right now, but if they took a nostalgic approach, I think he'd fit there more than trying to do another modern one, so to speak.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

ShinGojiX98
Samurai

Post by ShinGojiX98 »

I would like the idea of having once again that Kong that have development electric powers.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:07 am
Dv-218 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:59 pm …Wait, I thought that he was already public domain technically? Through the original novelization? God his copyright situation is confusing lol.

The novelization is in public domain. Marian C. Cooper completely forgot to copyright it before he died, and therefore, anyone wanting to make Kong related media could do so via adapting the book.

BUT, I believe Kong’s merchandise rights are still in Universal's hands, so Toho and Bandai wouldn't be able to produce a would be new Toho Kong action figure without there permission.
The rights are a bit tricky when it comes to film. They still can't call the films or character "King Kong." And while the novel is public domain, if it resembles the film too much Universal still has grounds to sue for it being too similar to the film. I think a big reason Skull Island and a Monsterverse got made in the first place was because of Legendary's partnership with Universal at the time. It seems they came to an understanding.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:12 pm
Gigantis wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:07 am

The rights are a bit tricky when it comes to film. They still can't call the films or character "King Kong." And while the novel is public domain, if it resembles the film too much Universal still has grounds to sue for it being too similar to the film. I think a big reason Skull Island and a Monsterverse got made in the first place was because of Legendary's partnership with Universal at the time. It seems they came to an understanding.
Universal can only sue if you use created elements from their movie. The US copyright courts have already warned Universal during the Donkey Kong lawsuit how hypocritical they were being when Universal themselves argued that had a right to a King Kong remake because it was public domain during the conflict with Paramount