Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
UltramanGoji

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:50 pm If Quentin Tarantino directed a Godzilla film, this would be it.
No better way of saying you've never actually seen a Tarantino movie, I guess.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:50 pm If Quentin Tarantino directed a Godzilla film, this would be it.
OK no, because if he would’ve directed this movie the characters would’ve been a lot more likable instead of being cardboard cut outs and it would be much more easier to watch than a boring slog of a movie that was Shin Godzilla, The only time I get any enjoyment from that movie is when Godzilla shows up and he doesn’t appear in this movie a lot.
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:06 am
No better way of saying you've never actually seen a Tarantino movie, I guess.
I have seen most of his movies just so you know. If I were to make a confession, his knack for style over substance can drive me crazy from time to time.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

So....you're saying if Tarantino made a Godzilla movie, it would be a 2 hour long satire of Japanese beaurocracy?

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I’ll admit, I think there might be more to this than there initially seems. I still wouldn’t say shin Godzilla is the tarantino version of a g film, as the individual styles of tarantino and anno are quite different. That being said, they both have a tendency to recreate memorable moments from the media they are inspired by, and incorporate it into their works. While many auteur directors do this, both Tarantino and Anno pull heavily from more “pulpy” media (for lack of a better word), and are willing to wear their influences well on their sleeves. So I do think their are similarities worth discussing, albeit with the nuance that these similarities only go so far.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

I get that this is a public forum, but that doesn't mean that all takes need to be entertained.

Shin is nothing like Tarantino's body of work.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Saying Shin is like a Tarantino film is like saying ToMG is a George Lucas film.
For Emperor and Empire!

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:49 pm
Oh, no it wouldn't. A Tarantino Godzilla film would be a LOT bloodier.
Imagine what the "feet wars" leading up to that one would be like!
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:33 pm
Feet wars?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:35 pm

Feet wars?
It's a two-layered joke.

1. In the lead-up to 2014, when Legendary Godzilla's design was revealed, people got upsetti spaghetti over his feet.

2. Quentin Tarantino is an open foot fetishist.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

NSZ wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:17 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:35 pm

Feet wars?
It's a two-layered joke.

1. In the lead-up to 2014, when Legendary Godzilla's design was revealed, people got upsetti spaghetti over his feet.

2. Quentin Tarantino is an open foot fetishist.
Not to mention the very first time we ever saw Shin Godzilla design was his foot
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

This movie is a political commentary that has minimal batches of humor and zero raunchiness, minimal violence, and virtually no vulgarity. The latter three are key elements of his films past, present, and future.

While Tarantino loves Godzilla, I'm sure he'd decline an offer to do one, as he has always been one to work on his own stuff. He's a master at his craft, but ill-suited to direct even for the various tones that this franchise has carried for so long.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Oh my god.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Showa Gyaos wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:42 am
This movie is a political commentary that has minimal batches of humor and zero raunchiness, minimal violence, and virtually no vulgarity.
If Tarantino directed a PG-13 film that is.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:08 pm
This movie is a political commentary that has minimal batches of humor and zero raunchiness, minimal violence, and virtually no vulgarity.
If Tarantino directed a PG-13 film that is.
As Tarantino has obviously never directed a PG-13 movie, you have absolutely no goddamned way of knowing that.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

This movie is a political commentary that has minimal batches of humor and zero raunchiness, minimal violence, and virtually no vulgarity. The latter three are key elements of his films past, present, and future.

While Tarantino loves Godzilla, I'm sure he'd decline an offer to do one, as he has always been one to work on his own stuff. He's a master at his craft, but ill-suited to direct even for the various tones that this franchise has carried for so long.
The humor in this movie, while not wall-to-wall or anything, is far more than "minimal."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

After seeing the new trailers for Shin Ultraman, I'm in the mood to watch this masterpiece again.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

eabaker wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:30 am

The humor in this movie, while not wall-to-wall or anything, is far more than "minimal."
The humor is not lost on me, but I wasn't laughing for much of the film.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It certainly wasn't a full-on comedy, but used irony and visual contradiction for satire.

Key comedic memories that always stick with me:
-All the early scientific speculation that is instantly contradicted by direct snapshots of the creature. "It can't get on land!" (proceeds to go on land).
-The helicopters wondering if they should fire, concerned about civilians, and we get that cut to the one elderly lady on the back of some guy evacuating.
-Overly long scenes of asking for approval to do minor things.
-The soba/ramen is cold scene.

It's not that any of these moments are directly "hahaha" funny, and usually have some moral and philosophical questions behind them. However, they seem to be intentionally satirizing attitudes and it's easy to see how someone could find humor from them.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:27 pm It certainly wasn't a full-on comedy, but used irony and visual contradiction for satire.

Key comedic memories that always stick with me:
-All the early scientific speculation that is instantly contradicted by direct snapshots of the creature. "It can't get on land!" (proceeds to go on land).
-The helicopters wondering if they should fire, concerned about civilians, and we get that cut to the one elderly lady on the back of some guy evacuating.
-Overly long scenes of asking for approval to do minor things.
-The soba/ramen is cold scene.

It's not that any of these moments are directly "hahaha" funny, and usually have some moral and philosophical questions behind them. However, they seem to be intentionally satirizing attitudes and it's easy to see how someone could find humor from them.
It was certainly tongue-in-cheek.