Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Denis wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:17 pm
Terasawa wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:46 pm Every Toho Godzilla suit has sight holes. I don't know or particularly care about the "official" stance on that, but if those are consistently lampshaded as gills, then I believe that leaves only AniGoji and GINO as the only possible non-gilled Godzillas.
Pretty sure just AniGoji, GINO seems to have parts of the skin that somewhat resemble gills.
GINO does't have gills, those are skin folds/muscles on his neck
Remember, he's an iguana
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:09 pm
Terasawa wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:46 pm Every Toho Godzilla suit has sight holes. I don't know or particularly care about the "official" stance on that, but if those are consistently lampshaded as gills, then I believe that leaves only AniGoji and GINO as the only possible non-gilled Godzillas.
Pretty sure just AniGoji, GINO seems to have parts of the skin that somewhat resemble gills.
Remember, he's an iguana
You're right but maybe the Godzilla from the animated series had gills? When he charges up his atomic breath you see the light travel up his fins and through lines in his neck before lighting up his eyes making those look like gills to me. Hell GKOTM practically stole that effect from gts.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

cloverfan98 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:49 pm

Remember, he's an iguana
You're right but maybe the Godzilla from the animated series had gills? When he charges up his atomic breath you see the light travel up his fins and through lines in his neck before lighting up his eyes making those look like gills to me. Hell GKOTM practically stole that effect from gts.
It's literally the same design

Face it, GINO doesn't have gills

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:28 am
ROMG4 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:16 am
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:56 am A part of me wishes Godzilla crawling on all fours made it to the finished film. Shin Godzilla crawling like a giant crocodile or monitor lizard sounds even more primally disturbing than the already chilling second and third form we got.
In a way we got to see in Godzilla Vs. Kong
One of the many horrid things I hated about GvK.
1998 already had it covered in the burrowing scene. ;)
Last edited by Gojira1604 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:20 pm

Remember, he's an iguana

I don't particularly care if Godzilla has gills or not it doesn't bother me. However I will say that I consider G98 and the cartoon designs to have enough differences between them to be considered separate designs.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:24 pm

I don't particularly care if Godzilla has gills or not it doesn't bother me. However I will say that I consider G98 and the cartoon designs to have enough differences between them to be considered separate designs.
You go do that

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:27 pm
cloverfan98 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:24 pm

You go do that
This feels passive aggressive but it could be a joke I'm misinterpreting. Either way no offense was meant on my part.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I wonder if FUNimation has a five-year license for Shin Godzilla. If so, I think that'd mean the deal is up for renewal/expiration this year.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Tohosaurus wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:20 am I wonder if FUNimation has a five-year license for Shin Godzilla. If so, I think that'd mean the deal is up for renewal/expiration this year.
Funimation is owned by sony which makes mean wonder if that means sony owns the rights to shin godzilla as well.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:40 pm
Tohosaurus wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:20 am I wonder if FUNimation has a five-year license for Shin Godzilla. If so, I think that'd mean the deal is up for renewal/expiration this year.
Funimation is owned by sony which makes mean wonder if that means sony owns the rights to shin godzilla as well.
Well Sony does indirectly have the licensed US rights because of their acquisition of FUNimation a few years ago. It'd make something like a box set less complicated, but doesn't change a whole lot otherwise.

I am just wondering if by chance the agreement is five years and therefore unless someone gets the rights as well (or FUNimation renews) then SG may actually go out of print and get (relatively) scarce. If Sony really is getting out of the Toho Godzilla business it doesn't seem likely they'd be interested, but the movie was something of a landmark for the franchise so I like to think someone else would pick it up eventually. It'd be kind of nice to have someone actually license all of the Reiwa content so far (including Singular Point) and release some kind of set or consistent, similar releases.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Chills, pure chills...
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:23 pm

Chills, pure chills...
2:59-3:10 is literally Kamata Kun almost verbatim

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

It's unsettling, isn't it? Much like comparing Hiroshima/Nagasaki aftermath photos to imagery from the original film.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:23 pm

Chills, pure chills...
I can't watch the part where the little girl breaks down in tears while praying. To say it is heartbreaking beyond description is such an understatement. It's entirely beyond words.

Man, this video (and by extension, the film itself) is powerful.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

I've had a resurgence of interest in this movie recently, and more specifically the possibilities a continuation of this timeline could have. the evolution of Godzilla is fascinating, though I'm not sure how the story could be done due to the pending US nuke countdown
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

They could always say that freezing Godzilla stopped him from evolving more so the form he’s in is it. Now you just have a pissed off “final” form Godzilla.

They could definitely continue this world if they really wanted. I think we’ll know within a year what the future looks like for Toho live action films.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cookson wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:56 pm They could always say that freezing Godzilla stopped him from evolving more so the form he’s in is it. Now you just have a pissed off “final” form Godzilla.

They could definitely continue this world if they really wanted. I think we’ll know within a year what the future looks like for Toho live action films.
That's actually a really cool idea. They could also do the same thing for Godzilla SP.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I get the impression that the ending was scripted the way it was to prevent any sequels. But even if not, I'm not interested in seeing any follow-ups, certainly not of the monster vs. monster variety.

As much as I love many of the later Godzilla movies, the 1954 film never needed a sequel (except from the studio's profit-minded perspective). Let's please not repeat that "mistake" again with Shin and just leave that as its own perfectly self-contained Godzilla remake.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:38 pm I get the impression that the ending was scripted the way it was to prevent any sequels. But even if not, I'm not interested in seeing any follow-ups, certainly not of the monster vs. monster variety.

As much as I love many of the later Godzilla movies, the 1954 film never needed a sequel (except from the studio's profit-minded perspective). Let's please not repeat that "mistake" again with Shin and just leave that as its own perfectly self-contained Godzilla remake.
Shin Godzilla Raids Again.

I suppose it's safe to talk about, but Godzilla Singular Point is essentially a spiritual successor to Shin. There's a lot of key tonal and technical differences, but fundamentally Godzilla SP serves as a slight retelling of Shin with more monsters.
Spoiler:
Hell, the way Season 1 ends, is essentially an alternative take on Operation Hydra[./Spoiler]

I think for that reason we don't need a Shin 2 and I agree that Shin is a perfectly self contained and fantastic film.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:38 pm As much as I love many of the later Godzilla movies, the 1954 film never needed a sequel (except from the studio's profit-minded perspective). Let's please not repeat that "mistake" again with Shin and just leave that as its own perfectly self-contained Godzilla remake.
Facts.