Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by Vakanai »

Denis wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:57 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:45 am
Cookson wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:57 pm I still in sorta disbelief a sequel hasn’t already been made or announced. Yeah I get why people say there won’t be... but this film was so huge I can’t believe the idea hasn’t been explored .
I'm thinking we'll hear something soon. GvK is done and a new licensing deal with Legendary's gonna be made, now's a good time to announce something. The only thing that could delay news is the fact Anno has Shin Kamen Rider lined up, and assuming covid doesn't delay him, how quickly Japan goes through preproduction and makes movies, that could come out later half next year, maybe early 2023. So yeah, 2023 is the latest, outer most date we could hear news on a Shin sequel if we're ever going to get one.
It’s worth mentioning we’re getting a potential cinematic universe, “World of Godzilla” (Yes it was called that in the interview I’m aware). So it’s possible that after Shin Godzilla 2, we may get a shared universe unless the shared universe is focused on Shin, which is unlikely but also possible since Shin Godzilla is loved by Toho. I’m still neutral though.
Emphasis on the "potential". The way the interviews and translations went, we're unsure if World of Godzilla is actually intended to be a shared cinematic universe, or the name of a new marketing push. If it's the later, then for all we know Singular Point could be a part of their World of Godzilla marketing push. Until we get more details (or better interpreters on both sides) it's a coin toss. Too unknown to get excited about. Personally I'm rooting for a marketing push over a cinematic universe - I've been enjoying getting radically different experiments with Godzilla from Japan the past several years, and would rather see that continue than get stuck with just one take on the big guy again.
Last edited by Vakanai on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:06 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:45 am

I'm thinking we'll hear something soon. GvK is done and a new licensing deal with Legendary's gonna be made, now's a good time to announce something. The only thing that could delay news is the fact Anno has Shin Kamen Rider lined up, and assuming covid doesn't delay him, how quickly Japan goes through preproduction and makes movies, that could come out later half next year, maybe early 2023. So yeah, 2023 is the latest, outer most date we could hear news on a Shin sequel if we're ever going to get one.
It’s worth mentioning we’re getting a potential cinematic universe, “World of Godzilla” (Yes it was called that in the interview I’m aware). So it’s possible that after Shin Godzilla 2, we may get a shared universe unless the shared universe is focused on Shin, which is unlikely but also possible since Shin Godzilla is loved by Toho. I’m still neutral though.
Emphasis on the "potential". The way the interviews and translations went, we're unsure if World of Godzilla is actually intended to be a shared cinematic universe, or the name of a new marketing push. If it's the later, then for all we know Singular Point could be a part of their World of Godzilla marketing push. Until we get more details (or better interpreters on both sides) it's a coin toss. Too unknown to get excited about. Personally I'm rooting for a marketing push over a cinematic universe - I've been enjoying getting radically different experiments with Godzilla from Japan the past several years, and would rather see that continue than get stuck with just one take on the big guy again.
I mean even if it isn’t the name of the shared universe, the potential shared universe will probably happen. Translated the article before and it said shared universe but not a mention of World of Godzilla but we will see. I mean with a shared universe, there’s still a possibility we will get other Godzilla content not related to that shared universe.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Denis wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:12 pm

I mean even if it isn’t the name of the shared universe, the potential shared universe will probably happen. Translated the article before and it said shared universe but not a mention of World of Godzilla but we will see. I mean with a shared universe, there’s still a possibility we will get other Godzilla content not related to that shared universe.
I mean yeah, it'll "probably" happen, because shared universes are the trend of the day. Doesn't mean we will for sure get one this decade 100%. And even if we do, I hope it's still after a few more out there takes, because no - no we will not get other Godzillas outside of a shared universe once it gets started. That's not how shared cinematic universes work. We got one standardized version of the character. At least, for live action. We still might get animated takes outside the norm, but even that becomes more doubtful. Pray SP is a success.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I really don't want a sequel to this, it works perfectly as a self-contained film.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:17 pm I really don't want a sequel to this, it works perfectly as a self-contained film.
And that's perfectly fine - you could just choose not to watch a sequel if it happens. However the people who want a sequel can't choose to watch one if one doesn't get made. That's why I think it having a sequel is better. People who don't want a sequel always have a choice to ignore it - but people who want there to be one doesn't have a choice. So a sequel is always better because of that I think.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:34 pm
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:17 pm I really don't want a sequel to this, it works perfectly as a self-contained film.
And that's perfectly fine - you could just choose not to watch a sequel if it happens. However the people who want a sequel can't choose to watch one if one doesn't get made. That's why I think it having a sequel is better. People who don't want a sequel always have a choice to ignore it - but people who want there to be one doesn't have a choice. So a sequel is always better because of that I think.
I have yet to see any story idea that would justify a sequel's existence. The moment Shin becomes active again, Tokyo is instantly doomed, because the US has a loaded gun aimed at Japan's forehead, and I don't believe Anno would be able to juggle both the traumatic impact & ramifications of Tokyo being blown to Kingdom Come and whatever pseudo-philosophical mumbo jumbo he'd slap onto Godzilla in this hypothetical sequel.

And that's another thing, too. The film absolutely wouldn't be following the Fourth Form, would it? It'd be following the humanoid Fifth Forms, otherwise why even tease 'em, and at that point it just simply ceases to be a Godzilla film, and is now what is simply a feature-length Giant God Warrior film.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:11 pm

I mean yeah, it'll "probably" happen, because shared universes are the trend of the day. Doesn't mean we will for sure get one this decade 100%. And even if we do, I hope it's still after a few more out there takes, because no - no we will not get other Godzillas outside of a shared universe once it gets started. That's not how shared cinematic universes work. We got one standardized version of the character. At least, for live action. We still might get animated takes outside the norm, but even that becomes more doubtful. Pray SP is a success.
Well technically they did do stuff outside the main universe through films in the Showa era. All Monsters Attack doesn’t take place in the Showa era continuity even though it was only one film. There’s also a possibility we will get some animated series within the universe or even out of the universe. So far SP is looking successful, it’s trending on Japan Netflix I believe.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

NSZ wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:14 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:34 pm
I have yet to see any story idea that would justify a sequel's existence. The moment Shin becomes active again, Tokyo is instantly doomed, because the US has a loaded gun aimed at Japan's forehead, and I don't believe Anno would be able to juggle both the traumatic impact & ramifications of Tokyo being blown to Kingdom Come and whatever pseudo-philosophical mumbo jumbo he'd slap onto Godzilla in this hypothetical sequel.

And that's another thing, too. The film absolutely wouldn't be following the Fourth Form, would it? It'd be following the humanoid Fifth Forms, otherwise why even tease 'em, and at that point it just simply ceases to be a Godzilla film, and is now what is simply a feature-length Giant God Warrior film.
Justify a sequels existence? All a sequel needs to justify it's existence is an audience that wants to see it. And I disagree with you that Anno couldn't juggle that, or more likely find some way to have Tokyo not get nuked. It's been five years, deals and plans and contingencies could've been made, hell they could've found a way to move Godzilla to another location in that time. Reasons to not have Tokyo get nuked is one of the easiest things to write around after all this time, I just did it in 2 seconds and Anno is probably more talented on that front.

I'm curious to see how they'd follow up. If Anno were to have an idea, if Toho wanted to push it, I'd say let them. Could be great.

Added in 3 minutes 2 seconds:
Denis wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:07 am
Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:11 pm

Well technically they did do stuff outside the main universe through films in the Showa era. All Monsters Attack doesn’t take place in the Showa era continuity even though it was only one film. There’s also a possibility we will get some animated series within the universe or even out of the universe. So far SP is looking successful, it’s trending on Japan Netflix I believe.
Showa was decades ago. Continuities tended to be looser. And All Monsters Attack didn't contradict anything in continuity overtly - we assume it's a world where Godzilla is just fiction like our own since everything on Monster Island was that kid in the short shorts daydreaming, but it never explicitly said so. And again, this is a different era of film.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Yeeeaaah...nah. I’d rather not have a sequel to Shin. Works better as a one and done deal, just like the original does
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:45 am Yeeeaaah...nah. I’d rather not have a sequel to Shin. Works better as a one and done deal, just like the original does
Godzilla Raids Again is a direct sequel
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:45 am Yeeeaaah...nah. I’d rather not have a sequel to Shin. Works better as a one and done deal, just like the original does
The original isn’t a standalone. It had sequels, which was Godzilla Raids Again.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Cookson wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:51 pm Godzilla Raids Again is a direct sequel
Denis wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:15 pm The original isn’t a standalone. It had sequels, which was Godzilla Raids Again.
Huh??? What’s this “Godzilla Raids Again” you two are blabbering about? That movie doesn’t even exist! Hahahahahaha!

we do not, will not, and should not mention that atrocity committed upon the Godzilla franchise ever again. Forget it even happened, just like every other sane person.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Tell you what, if they do make a sequel, you can pretend it doesn't exist. ;)

Added in 2 minutes 8 seconds:
Jermobooka wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:18 pm
Cookson wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:51 pm Godzilla Raids Again is a direct sequel
Denis wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:15 pm The original isn’t a standalone. It had sequels, which was Godzilla Raids Again.
Huh??? What’s this “Godzilla Raids Again” you two are blabbering about? That movie doesn’t even exist! Hahahahahaha!

we do not, will not, and should not mention that atrocity committed upon the Godzilla franchise ever again. Forget it even happened, just like every other sane person.
See, you're already pretending! :lol:

But seriously, I really like the heck out of Raids Again and consider it to be one of the better films of the Showa era, so we clearly disagree a lot about sequels.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I remember a thread someone started around here discussing how this movie exposes a hypocrisy with this fandom. They addressed that people complained when GINO reproduced asexually in '98, yet Shin Goji does just that in the end of the movie and everyone was fine. In light of that, I want to give my two bucks in addressing a double-standard of the fandom of the fandom regarding this film.

For almost as long as I have dwelled the internet, I have seen most people zealously complain about how in the Heisei films, most kaiju, including Godzilla himself are overly bulky, immobile and constantly spam beams. Yet again, in Shin's case, those attributes apply just as much to its own version of Godzilla. Say what you will about the Heisei films, but at least in those films, Godzilla was given personality to make up for what those films' special effects which may not have aged well in your eyes.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu May 06, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I feel like that you can do a concept right or wrong.
Zilla: Director made clear he had zero love or respect for the original Godzilla. Wanted to do Jurassic Park.5 instead. Super strong atomic breathe spewing monster is made into a quick but weak monster that doesn't spit fire.
Shin Godzilla: Director clearly has respect for the past material and wants to examine that while trying to bring something new to Godzilla. Shin Godzilla is shown to be a terrifying but miraculous creature that changes its DNA to handle new threats. There is a thematic point to the tail demons because it not only is a great visual but also further shows just how close they came to losing even with this well thought out plan. It is thematic to threats evolving and changing over time.
Zilla reproduces because... Emmerich said "I WANT RAPTORS NOW!'

I think I could have accepted Zilla a lot better if they were a bit tougher and could spit fire...Oh hey I really liked Godzilla The Series!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:34 pm I feel like that you can do a concept right or wrong.
Zilla: Director made clear he had zero love or respect for the original Godzilla. Wanted to do Jurassic Park.5 instead. Super strong atomic breathe spewing monster is made into a quick but weak monster that doesn't spit fire.
Shin Godzilla: Director clearly has respect for the past material and wants to examine that while trying to bring something new to Godzilla. Shin Godzilla is shown to be a terrifying but miraculous creature that changes its DNA to handle new threats. There is a thematic point to the tail demons because it not only is a great visual but also further shows just how close they came to losing even with this well thought out plan. It is thematic to threats evolving and changing over time.
Zilla reproduces because... Emmerich said "I WANT RAPTORS NOW!'

I think I could have accepted Zilla a lot better if they were a bit tougher and could spit fire...Oh hey I really liked Godzilla The Series!
Yeah. While you make fine points Dave, I think you're arguing a "non-argument" that pretty much doesn't exist at this point in Godzilla's history.

I'm also not convinced anyone is seriously arguing that there's some sort of "hypocrisy" for liking Shin at this point over 1998. I think anyone paying attention has had ample time to say their piece and I'm pretty sure there's an overarching consensus.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Oh, you think '98 sucks but think that Shin is good, despite the fact that BOTH movies have Godzilla in them? Checkmate, Toho zealot!
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I've seen a few people try to make that point but I don't think they got very far. I respect GINO and still enjoy it till this day. It's what started it all for me. I'm grateful it was made as the film certainly impacted my life in a huge way.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:06 pm I'm also not convinced anyone is seriously arguing that there's some sort of "hypocrisy" for liking Shin at this point over 1998.
Ehh... I know a few individuals.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

KK42 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:33 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:06 pm I'm also not convinced anyone is seriously arguing that there's some sort of "hypocrisy" for liking Shin at this point over 1998.
Ehh... I know a few individuals.
There's a reason we're aware of this argument! While I agree its not prevalent, it's still anooying when it comes up. I really will never understand this fandom nitpicking. Godzilla's always been so niche for me, my grandma thought it was evil when I was young lmao! I'm not going to judge someone for liking the "lesser" films.