Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Jomei wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:39 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:26 am Six years ago today, this utter masterpiece of cinema was released to the world.

Happy birthday to the best Godzilla film ever made alongside the original, along with the coolest incarnation of the King of Monsters. :shingodzilla:
Based. All these years later, and still...

Shin Godzilla in the Tetons.

Resized Image
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I just finished reading Patrick Galvan's review of the movie on this site and I must say he did a better job at critiquing the film than I ever could.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

I had the utter LUCK to see this in a theater and it was one of the best theatrical experiences I've ever had - I was alone, obviously, because that's when those happen. When Godzilla strikes back in its most evolved form...

...and this track plays, I couldn't hold it and I cried. Couldn't believe that they chose that one version of the theme (which is the one that plays when Godzilla suddenly appears to stop Titanosaurus) and I was overwhelmed. It was like reconnecting with Terror of MechaGodzilla once again. And then all those classic sound effects from the Showa films. Anno is a master of recombining the old into the new and his style of doing things is so inspirational for me :shingodzillapurple:

I also remember the pre-release hype here including that one random user that said "never forget Tadpole :Godzilla68: " (forgot the specific emoticon, may have been one no longer in use) and people thought it was Anno himself. Hysterical
Last edited by Omegamorph on Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Deleted
Last edited by king_ghidorah on Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Omegamorph wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:07 am I had the utter LUCK to see this in a theater and it was one of the best theatrical experiences I've ever had - I was alone, obviously, because that's when those happen. When Godzilla strikes back in its most evolved form...

...and this track plays, I couldn't hold it and I cried. Couldn't believe that they chose that one version of the theme (which is the one that plays when Godzilla suddenly appears to stop Titanosaurus) and I was overwhelmed. It was like reconnecting with Terror of MechaGodzilla once again. And then all those classic sound effects from the Showa films. Anno is a master of recombining the old into the new and his style of doing things is so inspirational for me :shingodzillapurple:

I also remember the pre-release hype here including that one random user that said "never forget Tadpole :Godzilla68: " (forgot the specific emoticon, may have been one no longer in use) and people thought it was Anno himself. Hysterical
All of this. The only difference was that I wasn't alone; the particular theater me, my dad and brother went to was full of Godzilla fans who were absolutely ecstatic to see this film. While we were waiting for it to start, I even got to chat up with a handful of Godzilla fans sitting in front of us.

Hell, before the actual film started, the theater played a reel-rollcall of old monster movies and their respective monsters across the decades; from Dracula and Frankenstein to the Gill Man and King Kong. And then an image of Godzilla popped up and his roar played in the background, and everyone just up and cheered, like I've never heard in a theater before.

Then the masterpiece of a film played, and it was the best theater experience ever.

Totally a surreal experience, and one I hope to have someday again. :shingodzilla: :shingodzillapurple:

Added in 1 minute 29 seconds:
Some of music definitely felt louder and more powerful in the theater than it does on the Blu-Ray. A couple of the musical tracks sound a bit like they're playing on a radio in the Blu-Ray release.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just got done with my first rewatch. I don't have all that much to say, but I did enjoy the hell out of it. It's one of the best. Traditional, yet fresh and new. Incredibly unique for the genre even though it's essentially a remake. The satire was much more obvious and funny now that I was watching for it; the sequence of meetings at the beginning might look boring on the surface of it, but had me chuckling this time around. In any case, Anno clearly understood that a movie this talky wasn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, and did a good job using editing, interesting shots, and music to keep everything feeling fast and intense. The two hours clips right by.

Every moment Godzilla is on screen is a joy. Yeah, he's blank and lacks emotion compared to other incarnations, but not to a problematic extent. Jnavs compared him to a real reptile a while back, and I can see it. He does have his own subtle, animalistic sort of expressiveness. I don't mind him at all as a one-off. Anno did a fantastic job making him huge and imposing and magnificent in his own ugly way, and filming him from too many cool angles to list. As with KOTM, Higuchi made smart, effective use of CGI to do things that practical effects would struggle with, like all the boats or cars piling up against the Second Form as he swims up the river and crawls through the street. The military attack was glorious, with this cool mixture of close-ups of guns firing and big, wide, distance shots showing the scale of the force arrayed against Godzilla.

I watched it subbed this time, and Satomi Ishihara's English was worse than I expected. No offense to her; she did a decent job speaking a language she doesn't know, but she really doesn't pass for a native speaker at all. Fortunately, the actual English speaking actors weren't a lot better (surprise, surprise), so she didn't stand out too badly. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

milo bloom
Monsterland Worker

Post by milo bloom »

So, I watched this when it first came out, got lucky and found a theatrical showing near me and it was absolutely fantastic from the get-go.

I bought the Blu-ray when it was released but for some reason never got around to a rewatch until a weekend or so ago and I put it in and was immediately immersed. It absolutely holds up and is truly one of the top tier Godzilla films ever made. All the meetings and moving around to different rooms and having different teams doing different things reminded me a bit too much of work, but I guess that was the point.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I've just noticed something about this movie. Shin Godzilla has something in common with the Star Wars prequel trilogy of all things. To be specific, both follow a narrative that puts a heavy emphasis on bureaucratic ineptitude when dealing with crises. The difference is that one gets lauded for it, while the other is one reason why it's mostly criticized. Anyone care to elaborate why that's the case?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:16 pm Here's something I've just noticed about this movie. Shin Godzilla has something in common with the Star Wars prequel trilogy of all things. To be specific, both follow a narrative that puts a heavy emphasis on bureaucratic ineptitude when dealing with crises. The difference is that one gets lauded for it, while the other is one reason why it's largely hated. Why is that the case?
If I’d wager a guess, it would come down to the writing that surrounds it. Granted, I would defend the prequel bureaucracy narrative to an extent, but somehow the way Shin Godzilla manages to weave it together with an ever evolving daikaiju is more succinct. The prequels, though creative and with a good underlying story, have problems with dialogue that pervade even their better moments. Galactic politics in the story, even though they do directly impact the main characters, suffer from that constant problem.
That’s my theory, anyways. Curious to hear pushback on that and other perspectives.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I've never understood the hatred for the Prequel political scenes. I was introduced to Star Wars through novels that include lots of political stuff, and then the Prequels. That stuff is as much a part of Star Wars as Darth Vader or the Millennium Falcon, to me.

As for Shin... well, don't a lot of fans complain that the cabinet meetings are boring? They're definitely a factor in driving people away from the movie. Me, I enjoy them. They're fresh, they're smart, they're exactly the kind of social commentary Godzilla movies have always made use of. The trick is understanding what those scenes are trying to do. They aren't just exposition delivery and character development, they're also subtly comedic, mirroring and mocking the Japanese government's handling of Fukushima.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I love it because it had never been done before. It's something I had been wanting to see done in a kaiju movie in a long time and Shin delivered in spades. I believe Anno even interviewed real politicians and government workers to make it as authentic as possible.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:44 pm I love it because it had never been done before. It's something I had been wanting to see done in a kaiju movie in a long time and Shin delivered in spades. I believe Anno even interviewed real politicians and government workers to make it as authentic as possible.
Return of Godzilla says hi.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah, but that's more generalized around the Cold War and less of an interior analysis of Japan and it's political situation. Minus a few scenes with delegations discussing things in 1984, it's a very different film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It's also my favorite Godzilla movie, Shin is 3rd.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I was thinking back on human characters I adore a lot in the Godzilla franchise, and I gotta say, Rando Yaguchi is definitely in the top tier for me. After a fresh rewatch I could go into depth as to why, but nonetheless for now I'll say that I loved how Yaguchi took the role of leadership throughout the film and we get to see how much of an pragmatic and straightforward guy he is. I think his character really gets to shine after Godzilla's atomic breath scene, the part where Yaguchi gets pissed at losing the PM's cabinet and it appearing that Japan can't defend themselves after all is great drama. We even get a scene where he explains the kind of man he wants to be for the people if Japan exists after Godzilla. I believe he mentions something about his father as well?

Shin may be an assemble cast, but around this half of the film I think it does a solid job positioning Yaguchi as the leader of the rag-tag group of politicians, scientists, military officials and foreign allies.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone think Anno could do a good job at making documentaries?

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:16 pm I've just noticed something about this movie. Shin Godzilla has something in common with the Star Wars prequel trilogy of all things. To be specific, both follow a narrative that puts a heavy emphasis on bureaucratic ineptitude when dealing with crises. The difference is that one gets lauded for it, while the other is one reason why it's mostly criticized. Anyone care to elaborate why that's the case?
It's not what you say. It's how you say it.

It's not the subject that's interesting but the manner of its handling. That's why True Detective can enthrall with a car conversation but [insert your least favorite action sequence here] can bore despite having ostensibly exciting content.

Shin Godzilla isn't lauded simply for including this theme. It's lauded because of the stylish, funny way it explores bureaucratic ineptitude and how it weds that thematic content with its genre.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

https://youtu.be/99x_HWlAbb8

Thought this was intreasting for fans if Shin Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Jomei wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:41 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:16 pm I've just noticed something about this movie. Shin Godzilla has something in common with the Star Wars prequel trilogy of all things. To be specific, both follow a narrative that puts a heavy emphasis on bureaucratic ineptitude when dealing with crises. The difference is that one gets lauded for it, while the other is one reason why it's mostly criticized. Anyone care to elaborate why that's the case?
It's not what you say. It's how you say it.

It's not the subject that's interesting but the manner of its handling. That's why True Detective can enthrall with a car conversation but [insert your least favorite action sequence here] can bore despite having ostensibly exciting content.

Shin Godzilla isn't lauded simply for including this theme. It's lauded because of the stylish, funny way it explores bureaucratic ineptitude and how it weds that thematic content with its genre.
Were the scenes being as long and drawn out as possible intentional?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:32 pmWere the scenes being as long and drawn out as possible intentional?
If this is your takeaway after what Jomei said, I really don't know what to say.

It's genuinely frustrating how people equate in their minds "Many meeting scenes=bad", and don't move the needle in any productive angle in the discussion. No discussion how rapid fire the scenes are, with fantastic cinemotagraphy, editing, and music to elevate. No discussion and how new information, character development, mystery and drama intersect and disperse these scenes. No mention how it's all rooted in the backdrop of Godzilla attacking, thus providing stakes, and tension to all the scenes. No mention of what is actually being discussed.

Again, I get if people don't like Shin Godzilla, because it's not what they particularly wanted out of a new film. But I'm starting to get annoyed where how people parade it around and act like it's 2 hours of people in a conference, with neutral TV lighting, shot flatly with nothing going on. Things are ALWAYS going on in Shin Godzilla, and each moment is pretty vital in progressing the plot or character development.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.