Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by Dyrakro »

Has there ever been any discussion about Shin's apparent strength? Remember the scene when the tanks attacked him and out of the dust this huge chunk of a bridge came flying out? Never understood what happened there annd somehow I never saw someone talk about it before

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

He likely just kicked the hell out of it.

#BotM

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Dramorg wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:11 pm Has there ever been any discussion about Shin's apparent strength? Remember the scene when the tanks attacked him and out of the dust this huge chunk of a bridge came flying out? Never understood what happened there annd somehow I never saw someone talk about it before
I always assumed it was his tail or leg. I wonder if not showing the kick was an intentional artistic choice, or just easier to do. I love it, but it is a bit strange how you don’t really see it. Something similar happens with Kamatakun if I recall.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:23 pm
Dramorg wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:11 pm Has there ever been any discussion about Shin's apparent strength? Remember the scene when the tanks attacked him and out of the dust this huge chunk of a bridge came flying out? Never understood what happened there annd somehow I never saw someone talk about it before
I always assumed it was his tail or leg. I wonder if not showing the kick was an intentional artistic choice, or just easier to do. I love it, but it is a bit strange how you don’t really see it. Something similar happens with Kamatakun if I recall.
Wait which scene with Kamatakun are you talking about? :thinking:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Dramorg wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:45 pm
Wait which scene with Kamatakun are you talking about? :thinking:
I might be thinking of the scene where the third form, the red one, stands up and kicks around a train.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Higuchi often hid Gamera in exhaust/steam as he was going from air to land forms, or in between cuts, so maybe it's something like that, just a stylistic choice/cheat to hide something potentially awkward or costly. That and the reveal is pretty cool and unexpected, adding to the mayhem of the scene.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:38 pm I might be thinking of the scene where the third form, the red one, stands up and kicks around a train.
Oh yeah, you're right! It was his tail that lifted the train into air. Was confused at first because of Kamatakun haha.
So Shin Godzilla's tail is indeed a quite powerful weapon. The laser beam aside.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Like my username implies, Shin Godzilla is my favorite kaiju film. Oddly enough, I avoided watching it for years, because I found Godzilla's design/multiple forms to be off-putting - "that's not Godzilla!" - which is admittedly pretty dumb, fanboyish reasoning on my part. I finally grabbed the Blu-ray in late 2019, and I was astonished by its bold vision, engaging script, thematic richness and beautiful visuals. It's a giant monster procedural, examining the nuances and minutiae of a kaiju crisis in a very believable way. It ain't perfect, and I feel that the first half of the film is better than the second half, but it's still top tier for me. It's the kind of Godzilla movie I've always wanted.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I always loved the way that was done. Up until that point Godzillas final form had only just walked forward, and while that still was the case after that scene, seeing the bridge rocket into the air out from the dust I felt gave some menace to Godzilla and that he could still do things other than walk. Also you don't really know what caused it which I think is cool. I always assumed it was the sheer strength of his leg kicking the bridge since it was in his way.

BrazilianKaiju
Samurai

Post by BrazilianKaiju »

Dramorg wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:05 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:38 pm I might be thinking of the scene where the third form, the red one, stands up and kicks around a train.
Oh yeah, you're right! It was his tail that lifted the train into air. Was confused at first because of Kamatakun haha.
So Shin Godzilla's tail is indeed a quite powerful weapon. The laser beam aside.
Man, Shin Godilla threw away the evangelions with his tail.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

"Shin kicked the bridge". He barely walked as his final form. How the hell? He smacked it with his tallywhacker, obviously. Also, the Eva thing? Didn't Asuka run into him like a spaz, he put his head down, and she smacked into him and then flailed away running like a god damn Looney Tune character?
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LamangoKaijura wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:45 pm "Shin kicked the bridge". He barely walked as his final form. How the hell? He smacked it with his tallywhacker, obviously. Also, the Eva thing? Didn't Asuka run into him like a spaz, he put his head down, and she smacked into him and then flailed away running like a god damn Looney Tune character?
Kind of close. She pulled some Spider-Man maneuvers, hopping off sides of buildings leading up to Shin's head so she could perform a spinning kick, but he kinda knocked her off balance with a headbutt. She bounces off a building or two before landing, then rolling out of the way of Unit 00's gunfire. Uses his tail surprisingly often, and even gets a bite in, but never kicks.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

How is this fellow here being vocal in disliking this movie (and GMK too) on these forums any different than complaining over anything else over this franchise? Most of you complain non-stop over The Heisei films and GINO, so why should what I do be any different?

If I were to guess, it’s not so much my opinion, but how I present myself. In the past, I have typically come across as abrasive, rude or belligerent, pushing your buttons. If any of you could give me a tip or too as to properly convey how I feel about certain things, please let me know.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

The movie is a dream come true for me, but I can definitely understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea...
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

donaldino
Yojimbo

Post by donaldino »

Shin Godzilla is amazing! It's my new favourite Godzilla movie. The lore behind Godzilla and his evolutions is so unique. My favourite parts are when Godzilla destroys almost all of Tokyo (his purple atomic breath slicing through buildings and the plume of black smoke that shoots from his mouth before igniting and engulfing the city was awe-inspiring), and the climax was a very memorable spectacle, exciting, unpredictable, and clever.
Last edited by donaldino on Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Sooo I never really paid much attention to the music in this film...most of it just blends in with the drama so well that it doesn't bring much attention to itself, even the familiar Ifukube cues. I finally listened to the soundtrack on its own, and all I gotta say is that Persecution of the Masses is one of the most epic pieces of music I've heard in any genre. It's just remarkable.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Damn, here's an irony I just noticed - the Prime Minister didn't want to leave his post in Tokyo, because he felt that he couldn't leave his people behind. He felt that evacuating was a cowardly move - now, how much of his reasoning is based on morality and how much is based on political optics is up for debate - but it's an interesting choice on his part.

He's convinced to leave, of course; mainly because his location is in Godzilla's path...but by leaving, he ensured his own death. Godzilla was done moving at that point, and if the PM decided to stay put (in what I'm assuming is an underground bunker), he would have most likely survived. But no, he and several others hopped on that helicopter, and paid the price for it. I'm wondering if there's any thematic purpose for this.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

This movie was very medium for me. It definitely isn't for everyone and I can see why some like it and some hate it. I'll focus on the positives. Godzilla is excellent in this movie and very unique. The evolution forms were very creative and interesting. Godzilla's main form in the movie is pretty cool and disgusting. It looks like he is in constant pain and suffering. Those crooked and jagged teeth are also very scary looking. Godzilla's powers are also fantastic. The beams not only look amazing but are awe inspiringly devastating. Godzilla's radar system tied into it is also awesome and of course when the tail is able to fire it. Finally, the part that seems to stick in people's heads the most are those human Godzillas. Such an awesome idea and concept! I wish they had a more significant part in this film but they were still awesome anyway.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I am not sure if I've brought it up before, but I'd like to address the main thing that bothers me about Shin as far as his design goes. What the hell is with his pointy-tipped sternum? It looks like a boat's sticking out of his chest.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

BrazilianKaiju wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:16 am
Dramorg wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:05 am
Man, Shin Godilla threw away the evangelions with his tail.
That's hardly canon though. Shin is powerful but the Evangelions have some crazy strength feats in their own movies.