Short film: Godzilla vs Gigan Rex (2022)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Re: Short film: Godzilla vs Gigan Rex (2022)

Post by imposterzilla »

Plasma grenade or hard light weapons

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:47 am
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:53 am ^Who says the buzzsaw can't be retractable?
That's also an option. It feels kind of pointless, though. Taking the usual saw and just making it retractable isn't a particularly interesting gimmick, you know? But I guess we'll see.
Plus, the normal Gigans in this duology already have retractable saws yet they're still visible at all times.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigan's buzzsaw being retractable makes practical. Always having a metallic object exposed leaves it vulnerable to the elements.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Last edited by kaijukurt on Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I like how bold of a redesign of Gigan it is, with still being recognizable as Gigan. Really cool concept imo. This feels really weird though, getting a new design of Gigan like this, in a short film. This better not disappoint!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm not sure about the hooks, but Gigan Rex is pretty great, otherwise. Godzilla looks like a zombie grandpa.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I understand some people don't like this design, and I get it. It does feel like a bizarre color switch, and a bit too "fleshy". I do also think the head is a bit small. However, I like this because it isn't just trying to copy GFW's Gigan design. Where that took Gigan in a direction of making it an all-out busy melee beast of iron and spikes. the original Gigan wasn't like that, and was actually relatively simple. Sure it had it's buzzsaw, but a lot of the body was smooth blue, and that intersected with metal parts and scales, which is sort of what this is doing. GFW Gigan went left, and this Gigan Rex went right.

Seeing the figure now, I am nearly 100% that this is based on in part of the Gigan from the anime prequel novels, where Gigan eventually incporates nanometal into it's arsenal. I suspect that Gigan's front section will transform, and this his smaller scythes will be able to transform into a variety of weapons.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Can’t say I’m a fan of this Gigan design. I don’t mind the color. But the shape and design elements look too much like a modern Ultraman monster for my taste.

It feels kinda like a typical concept car, where they push design elements to their absolute extreme to see where it goes and then pull it back to something more appealing in actual production vehicles. Except they never pulled it back. They just went with the full on extreme, impractical, and maybe garish concept car.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Gigan Rex looks like a 2007-2012 era redesign of the character like you'd find on Deviant Art from artists. The Godzilla design is an okay blend of 1954, Heisei and... Shin? Face on the new MMS looks like he's a cocaine fiend though. I'm really not all that excited for the special since I really dislike the Gigan redesign in general. Mainly because it just looks bad.

And yes, I welcomed 2004 Gigan with open arms and would do so again.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

You know those Tom and Jerry cartoons where Jerry hits Tom in the face with a frying pan, his face gets smashed in and the music goes "wah waaah"? That's this Gigan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:23 pm It feels kinda like a typical concept car, where they push design elements to their absolute extreme to see where it goes and then pull it back to something more appealing in actual production vehicles. Except they never pulled it back. They just went with the full on extreme, impractical, and maybe garish concept car.
Good analogy.
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:59 pm You know those Tom and Jerry cartoons where Jerry hits Tom in the face with a frying pan, his face gets smashed in and the music goes "wah waaah"? That's this Gigan.
I can't unsee that now, thanks.

Is it the head that is giving most people the issue?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:24 pm And yes, I welcomed 2004 Gigan with open arms and would do so again.
Me too. That’s an example of a modern update to a classic done well.

I think one big contrast between this new Gigan and the ones that came before is that both Showa and GFW Gigans looked like fearsome, dangerous enemies not to be taken lightly. This new one doesn’t look fearsome or vicious or threatening at all.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Gigan Rex looks fine to me. It's a design evocative of a stylized CGI production, rather than a cinematic CGI movie (Monsterverse, Shin Godzilla). Gold claws are not something I expected. I wonder if he will be shorter than Godzilla this time around.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

The design ramps up Gigan's alien/otherworldly aspects to me, I like it.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

As a huge Gigan fan I don't like it. By the way it is definitely the head.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^What would you do to fix it?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Gigan has a nice smooth alien look that contrasts well Godzilla's rocky craggily body, and the red on Gigan Rex really helps it 'pop' and give off a sense of regality/arrogance.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't think Gigan needs to honestly look fearsome. He's never been anything but an edgy punk, and his designs, this one included, have always reflected that to me.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

kaijukurt wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:39 am Designs revealed via MMS figures:
https://twitter.com/ned_chang/status/15 ... TXxiWON9og

Why did they take his meat?
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Is this short film going to be shown on YouTube like the Hedorah one?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image