Godzilla -1.0 (2023) General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: New Kaiju Movie Directed by Takashi Yamazaki in the Works

Post by JAGzilla »

At this stage, it's been six years since Shin and people are starting to get impatient for the next live action Toho Godzilla movie. More importantly, Godzilla is guaranteed money and there's an anniversary to milk. So there's virtually no way this project isn't a Godzilla movie, and frankly that's what it should be. Once this one is out of the way, assuming it makes bank, that would be the time to gamble on giving a movie to another monster.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

I don't think I have seen this discussed on here yet. Yamazaki's upcoming movie Ghost Book will have a collaboration with Godzilla.

https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/ ... 2535943168
Last edited by Gotschiller on Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi!

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

I kinda have been wanting this to be a secret Ghidorah solo movie.
Last edited by OGMechaMothra on Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I wonder if it will be a very faithful and straightforward period piece remake of the original film as some sort of way for Toho to combat aspects of the public domain situation of the original film.

I'm no expert but I am told per Japanese copyright law the original film will enter public domain in Japan in 2024. IF Toho drops a "virtually scene for scene" remake of it, then in some regards that may help them combat some of the impact of the original film going into the public domain there...as they would have an all-new, almost exact same film that they would hold copyright over.

I hear it's an interesting situation, like, in the US, if/when "Steamboat Willy" goes public domain, ONLY the elements of Mickey Mouse unique to THAT specific short go public domain...anything introduced years later would still be protected and would have to wait for those pieces to go public domain as well.

Like if the original Superman comics slip into public domain, you couldn't just freely pull from all things Superman...you would be restricted by what aspects of the character actually are public domain. Batman entering public domain wouldn't make Robin public domain as he was introduced within Batman comics years later, etc

I am not sure if the copyright laws in Japan are structured differently....but it would be interesting if the 2024 film was basically a high grade attempt to re-enshrine the original movie/plot/characters/designs/music back within copyright in an indirect and subversive way.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

A Gojira from a different POV could be an interesting concept. I mean that's basically what King of the Monsters was.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:38 pm I wonder if it will be a very faithful and straightforward period piece remake of the original film as some sort of way for Toho to combat aspects of the public domain situation of the original film.

I'm no expert but I am told per Japanese copyright law the original film will enter public domain in Japan in 2024. IF Toho drops a "virtually scene for scene" remake of it, then in some regards that may help them combat some of the impact of the original film going into the public domain there...as they would have an all-new, almost exact same film that they would hold copyright over.

I hear it's an interesting situation, like, in the US, if/when "Steamboat Willy" goes public domain, ONLY the elements of Mickey Mouse unique to THAT specific short go public domain...anything introduced years later would still be protected and would have to wait for those pieces to go public domain as well.

Like if the original Superman comics slip into public domain, you couldn't just freely pull from all things Superman...you would be restricted by what aspects of the character actually are public domain. Batman entering public domain wouldn't make Robin public domain as he was introduced within Batman comics years later, etc

I am not sure if the copyright laws in Japan are structured differently....but it would be interesting if the 2024 film was basically a high grade attempt to re-enshrine the original movie/plot/characters/designs/music back within copyright in an indirect and subversive way.
Godzilla's trademark status keeps him from entertaining public domain plus Japan has tighter copyright laws.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:10 am Godzilla's trademark status keeps him from entertaining public domain plus Japan has tighter copyright laws.
Trademark can be used (in the U.S.) to exercise some control over a property that has entered public domain, but it's not a tool to be used to skirt public domain altogether. It's discussed a little here.

I think, by the letter of the law, the original Godzilla will enter the Japanese public domain in 2024 as Chrispy said, but as with U.S. copyright law, it doesn't seem to be that simple, as examined in this lengthy editorial.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

I guess this actress is a bit famous in Japan.(and she belongs to Toho agency) There is an interesting part in this article that interviewed her.

https://www.asagei.com/excerpt/220849
とはいえ、仕事は軒並み順調の様子。先の新作映画の他に、来年3月公開の「シン・仮面ライダー」(東映)や、すでにクランクアップした「ゴジラ」の新作、そして来年春スタートのNHK朝ドラ「らんまん」のヒロイン役も控えるほどなのだ

Nonetheless, things are going well at work. In addition to the new movie mentioned above, "Shin Kamen Rider" (Toei) to be released in March next year, the new work of "Godzilla" that has already been cranked up, and the heroine role of NHK morning drama "Ranman" to start next spring.
It sounds like she has been cast in a new Godzilla film that has already been filmed.

And recently, there was news that Yamazaki's "New Kaiju Movie" was cranked up.

Of course, we can't be sure if the reporter really broke embargo or just misunderstood something. Let's see.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Will Toei be co-producing this movie?

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:48 pm ^Will Toei be co-producing this movie?
Nope. There's no such context in the article. I guess you misunderstood something.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

vastatosaurus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:53 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:48 pm ^Will Toei be co-producing this movie?
Nope. There's no such context in the article. I guess you misunderstood something.
Still it would be cool if they did one day.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

vastatosaurus wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:42 pm I guess this actress is a bit famous in Japan.(and she belongs to Toho agency) There is an interesting part in this article that interviewed her.

https://www.asagei.com/excerpt/220849
とはいえ、仕事は軒並み順調の様子。先の新作映画の他に、来年3月公開の「シン・仮面ライダー」(東映)や、すでにクランクアップした「ゴジラ」の新作、そして来年春スタートのNHK朝ドラ「らんまん」のヒロイン役も控えるほどなのだ

Nonetheless, things are going well at work. In addition to the new movie mentioned above, "Shin Kamen Rider" (Toei) to be released in March next year, the new work of "Godzilla" that has already been cranked up, and the heroine role of NHK morning drama "Ranman" to start next spring.
It sounds like she has been cast in a new Godzilla film that has already been filmed.

And recently, there was news that Yamazaki's "New Kaiju Movie" was cranked up.

Of course, we can't be sure if the reporter really broke embargo or just misunderstood something. Let's see.
That site seems mostly gossipy and not really super credible. It's possible they just broke embargo, but it's also likely they just assumed (like many of us are) that this is indeed a Godzilla film. No hard confirmation yet but hmmm.

I can also confirm that the film is finished filming, at least for all the extra stuff. They stopped sending me emails and updates about the project. :P

I'm not sure if I ever stated this publicly, but I applied for an extra role. I didn't get it or publicly announce it here. There wasn't any real info on the project, but:
Spoiler:
A lot of the extra stuff was really strict. They checked hair colors (to fit the times) and hairstyle on the app form. They'd apparently supply you with time-senisitve clothing and other costumes. You had to give them measurements.

A few of the extra casting described roles as "former military officials". I'm assuming that this will be right after WW2, and former imperial navy people will be fighting Godzilla/some other monster, or just the transition. There were also casting calls for areas involving "seedy and suspicious" people like gamblers and other things IIRC). There were many scenes taking place in various eastern Japanese ports. There's also some women only scenes (probably airons/prostitutes), and some other scenes with old women and children.
To be clear, I got most of this info from easily accessible online forms and automated emails. It's nothing secretive or really special, but I thought a few people might want to know.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

At this point, i would be shocked if it's not a Godzilla film for the 70th anniversary

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

My only suspicion is that they usually announce films well before filming. If this is a Godzilla movie why has it not been officially announced yet.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:41 pm My only suspicion is that they usually announce films well before filming. If this is a Godzilla movie why has it not been officially announced yet.
To be absolutely fair, the GvK follow-up hasn't gotten an actual announcement, either.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

I really hope this turns out to be a Big 70th-anniversary movie from TOHO

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

Any new news on this or has it gone dead for awhile?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

phillipw1954 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:09 am Any new news on this or has it gone dead for awhile?
Gone dead. We might hear something at Godzilla Fes but I doubt it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

From what we can tell, the film has finished extra-filming (who knows about prinicpal photography).

It's well into development, and no matter what it is, it' happening, so don't expect silence as a sign of something be wrong. Most likely if we start to hear about this, it'll happen at G-Fes, or around that time, but I don't think we'll get any news until next year. Assuming the film will be released in 2024, that would make a lot more sense to do.

Might sound like a weid thing to say, but I suggest forgetting that this exists, because there's a good chance we'll be waiting a while.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Nah, don't forget it exists. Just settle in for the wait, put a lid on your hype and let it simmer for now. It's good to have something out on the horizon to look forward to.

And remember that we're in the age of hype culture. When news does finally surface, you aren't going to miss it. It'll not only blow up this thread, it'll be spammed all over social media and news sites. Every kaiju-related YouTuber will be ramming "947.3 things YOU MISSED in the trailer!!1" videos down your throat.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio