Which Godzilla is the face of the Reiwa Era?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

Witch godzilla is the face of the reiwa Era

Shin Godzilla
90%
Godzilla Earth from anime trilogy
1%
Godzilla SP
4%
Other design like the godzilla ride design
1%
Future design
3%

Total votes: 93

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Which Godzilla is the face of the Reiwa Era?

Post by Vakanai »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:54 am I do appreciate that you stopped flooding those threads with negative comments. Legit.

I’m always open to different opinions but it was a buzzkill after a while so I sincerely thank you.
Please don't. I know that you mean it well, but you're basically thanking me for shutting the fck up, so don't.
Like I said, I did it for my sake not others. No one should be focused too long on shit that they really freaking hate, and since I've nothing else to say about it and don't plan to watch anything else in that series, it's just best I avoid it.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^Yeah, let's not do this^ (both of you)
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:56 pm ^Yeah, let's not do this^ (both of you)
Meant well. Didn’t see that reaction coming from a mod or Vakanai but fair enough. Dropped.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

So changing the subject....

How could a "future design" that doesnt exist yet be the face of this era?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:46 am So changing the subject....

If a new Godzilla appears and starts a series similar to Showa or Heisei it should replace Shin when we look back on the era.

Right now in the moment it's Shin undisputed.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

It’s possible it could be at some future point, but the simple fact is if we are going off of where we are now, then it’s impossible.

It pretty much has to be Shin. (Though again, if you’re not getting stuck on weird cultural lines in the sand the best answer for the Godzilla of the modern era is MV)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah I don't get that. Even if some immensely popular design pops-in, Shin Godzilla's design is very reflective of the current era's lack of conformity and experimentation with more modern themes. For the most part (by comparison), most of the Heisei and Millennium series pretty much conform to general ideas of what Godzilla is, and what he can do. Then Shin Godzilla comes along and mixes it up. Toho's most recent Godzilla production, Godzilla SP, was clearly very inspired by Shin Godzilla (and to a lesser degree the Monsterverse) and gave their Godzilla multiple forms and borrowed a lot of imagery.

I have a feeling, strong feeling, that any subsequent Godzilla films/Toho productions, will borrow and incorporate designs from Shin G.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:44 am

Yeah I don't get that. Even if some immensely popular design pops-in, Shin Godzilla's design is very reflective of the current era's lack of conformity and experimentation with more modern themes. For the most part (by comparison), most of the Heisei and Millennium series pretty much conform to general ideas of what Godzilla is, and what he can do. Then Shin Godzilla comes along and mixes it up. Toho's most recent Godzilla production, Godzilla SP, was clearly very inspired by Shin Godzilla (and to a lesser degree the Monsterverse) and gave their Godzilla multiple forms and borrowed a lot of imagery.

I have a feeling, strong feeling, that any subsequent Godzilla films/Toho productions, will borrow and incorporate designs from Shin G.
I think Toho is going to eventually move away from Shin and try a more traditional approach. Shin was lightning in a bottle and I see Toho protecting it as more of a one off.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:39 am(Though again, if you’re not getting stuck on weird cultural lines in the sand the best answer for the Godzilla of the modern era is MV)
But the question is specifically Reiwa, not modern films. Legendary Godzilla is the face of the MV, Shin is the face of Reiwa.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Smuggers wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:51 am
king_ghidorah wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:39 am(Though again, if you’re not getting stuck on weird cultural lines in the sand the best answer for the Godzilla of the modern era is MV)
But the question is specifically Reiwa, not modern films. Legendary Godzilla is the face of the MV, Shin is the face of Reiwa.
“Reiwa” is a dumb distinction….it’s literally just a span of years. Within those years are some American Godzilla movies as well.

If the question was rephrased as “what JAPANESE Godzilla is the face of the new era” it would be less silly.

As it reads now, it’s basically saying what Godzilla after the year 2016 is the face of the current era…..not including the most popular one because America bad or something.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:44 am

ESPECIALLY if things like Shin Ultraman and Shin Kamen Rider are successful.

Singular Point and the anime trilogy aren't even a pimple on Shin Godzilla's ass.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Mon May 16, 2022 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:28 am
Smuggers wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:51 am
“Reiwa” is a dumb distinction….it’s literally just a span of years. Within those years are some American Godzilla movies as well.

If the question was rephrased as “what JAPANESE Godzilla is the face of the new era” it would be less silly.

As it reads now, it’s basically saying what Godzilla after the year 2016 is the face of the current era…..not including the most popular one because America bad or something.
"Reiwa" is literally just a span of years... which have a particular significance, under that label, to Japanese culture, and not to mainstream American culture. And the Japanese studio which produces Japanese Godzilla properties has chosen to label a particular phase in their production history the "Reiwa" era; that phase in their production history roughly corresponds to the timing of the MonsterVerse, but the two not part of the same development/production initiative.

"America bad" doesn't enter into it. This isn't a value judgment. It's a distinction between two completely different faces of the character's current licensing, production and distribution.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Hell, even TK makes a distinction. Reiwa and MV get their own separate subsections. Then again, G98 is lumped in with the Heisei series so I can see how that would get confusing.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:43 am Hell, even TK makes a distinction. Reiwa and MV get their own separate subsections. Then again, G98 is lumped in with the Heisei series so I can see how that would get confusing.
I mean, to be fair, the TriStar canon is just one film and a cartoon series. The MV has multiple films, comic books, novels and an upcoming television series. Just more content to justify its own section apart from being a Western creation unrelated to Toho's Reiwa projects.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Still, G98 and the Monstervese are American movies, and absolutely fall outside the era naming convention of the Toho films.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:28 amnot including the most popular one because America bad or something.
lmao what, nobody is saying that
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:49 am Still, G98 and the Monstervese are American movies, and absolutely fall outside the era naming convention of the Toho films.
Perhaps their should be just an “American G movies section” then.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:07 am
Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:49 am Still, G98 and the Monstervese are American movies, and absolutely fall outside the era naming convention of the Toho films.
Perhaps their should be just an “American G movies section” then.
And of course the catch 22 is that the MV is too big a deal to not have it's own subforum.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Mon May 16, 2022 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Shin Ultraman is the face of the Reiwa Era now for Toho.
#UltramanSweep
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Moth wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:27 pm Shin Ultraman is the face of the Reiwa Era now for Toho.
#UltramanSweep
Shin Goji would smash that Super hero, stack him and ship him back to Tsuburaya.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image