Godzilla Singular Point Pro and Con

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Godzilla Singular Point Pro and Con

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Basically what it says. What are your Pro and Con with Godzilla Singular Point

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla Singular Point Pro and Con

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Pros:
-Fantastic visuals and 2-D animation

-Great redesigns for Angurius, Gabara/Sarunga, Jet Jaguar, and the other Godzilla monsters. Controversial, but I like the Rodan designs.

-Interesting and unique vibe, certainly feels mysterious and watching a slow-burn apocalypse play out from the first few episodes.

-Cool visuals/special environments: Red Encrusted Cities, Godzilla skeletons that communicate, the giant pit where Sarunga was etc…

-Memorable and likeable characters, and specific moments where they do cool things

-Fantastic action, when the series wants to: Pretty much everything with JJ vs Rodan, Angurius, Kumonga and Godzilla.

-Great music: the opening, the ending, the JJ/Ootaki theme, the haunting Alu pala theme, etc…

-Nice structure/pace: the series has an “A”-plot of Godzilla appearing, but then many little sub-arcs within that: Rodans first attack, Sarunga and BB, Angurius, and the Kumonga, all with JJ developing. It all then concludes nicely with JJ and Godzilla. I really appreciate the balance of both.

-Great “pop-offs”: Godzilla T into Godzilla Ultima and annihilating Tokyo, JJ killing Angurius, JJ vs Godzilla, BB vs Sarunga, etc…

Cons:
-A general feeling of no resolutions towards mysteries, which may or may not be explained. Where did the monsters originate? This may all clear up if/when there’s a season 2.

-Introducing a lot of cool monster designs and powers that don’t get utilized. Godzilla Terrestrius having his super-cell mutation tentacles being barely used, despite it being super cool and unique.

-Squandering/too short fights: Godzilla T vs the Big Rodan, and Godzilla vs Manda. The fights don’t need to be multi-episode bangers, but it felt ridiculously short.

-In addition to above, all the Godzilla forms should’ve been given additional screen time.

-Overreliance on borrowing iconography from previous entries, that remove some of its more unique elements. See all the borrowed imagery from Shin and the Monsterverse.

-Poor balance of action and long exposition: I like all the science stuff, and dialogue, but sometimes it feels like there’s a poor balance between the two which can make it feel less natural.

-Despite the animation being overall good, there are a few brief moments

-Bad Editing: my worst problem in the series is editing that makes it very unclear what’s actually happening. People thought that Lee didn’t die (and that whole scene was super contrived) as well as other things that could have used a few more seconds of focus on.

Segmenting things into “before the opening” and “after the opening”. A lot of Godzilla scenes happened before the opening, and then felt incessantly rushed as a result.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Pros:
1. Best Godzilla content past few years not counting shorts. Sadly.
2. Amazing Anguirus design.
3. A truly spectacular and triumphant return of Jet Jaguar.

Cons:
1. Godzilla was truly just a small footnote in this.
2. Too much sci-fi babble.
3. The male lead was kinda meh.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Con
It's really not my thing. At all.

Pro
No one says I HAVE to watch it.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Pros:

Some cool kaiju redesigns

Great action sequences

Animation is great with a couple exceptions

Jet Jaguar

Cons:

Exposition dumps are way too long and boring as hell

Characters are super flat

Wastes the animation medium with shit like text message exposition

Remaking scenes from other Godzilla entries like Shin and KoTM

Godzilla’s forms do nothing for the most part and either should have been cut or made to do more

Godzilla ultima looks like cookie monster

Mysteries just sorta get brought up and left behind, you apparently need a guidebook to solve them which is just terrible

Things tend to happen with no explanation and it’s jarring

Frequently sets up things that have no payoff or has things happen with no set up

TLDR: the series has pretty visuals, but the writing and pacing are so jarringly bad that the series is a huge chore to sit through.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Pros:
– Good female lead character that isn't stuffed in the fridge (anime trilogy) or overly sexualized (just about every other anime ever).
– Good music, and a great revamped Godzilla march.
– The 2D animation was decent.

Cons:
- Everything else.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

+ Great character designs
+ Excellent animation, both 2D and 3D
+ Some amazing kaiju designs
+ Characters that aren't boring blank slates for once
+ My favorite OST of the whole franchise
+ An intriguing story
- The middle third gets a bit sloppy, I think
- Godzilla Ultima's lower jaw will never not look bad

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I'm not going to fully expound on the pros and cons, I largely agree with most of what has been put here, but because of who I am, I'd just like to type out one facet of the show that I am exceptionally amazed by. The treatment of Jet Jaguar.

I know I was blown away when I learned that Jet Jaguar was going to be in the series, but held my reservations that he might only make a brief cameo, maybe be the focus of an episode or two. Wow was I wrong :D .

But not only was Jet Jaguar the center of the show, they managed to meaningfully reinvent the character in a way I never really thought imaginable. Perhaps I'm over reacting, but I really do see this show as more of a Jet Jaguar anime than full on Godzilla affair, and honestly this show really feels like it transformed the character the way "Heart of Ice" transformed mr. Freeze in BAS.

Despite my blatant love for the character, he very much is a product of its time. Prior to the anime, it seemed almost impossible to separate him from the rise of television tokusatsu and the Kyodai Hero archetype. The best any media could do in my mind would either have to double down on the character's role in the larger toku environment, almost being a meta work/pastiche (I was a big proponent of LSD's salary-man JJ prompt), or simply revel in the aesthetic absurdity the character brings in what effectively amounting to an extended cameo and nothing more (a la IDW).

And yet Singular Point not only manages to flesh out Jet Jaguar as a character, but does so with (imho) a largely successful emotional/narrative arch, and still retains core aesthetic characteristics of the character, all the while separating JJ from simply being a not Ultra hero. Hell, in the last episode they literally make the show's climax
Spoiler:
Jet Jaguar reprogramming himself to change size.
And for this, I am thankful :lol:
He Jock it Made of Steel

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Pros:
- Unique premise and concept that further showcases how Toho is willing to diversify the franchise these days.
- Great animation and visual style.
- Cool and unique monster redesigns/reimaginings.
- Enjoyable and diverse assortment of characters.
- Fantastic music including the best recording of the Godzilla March to date.

Cons:
- Overly complex narrative.
- Rapid/extensive dialogue that can be missed if watching subbed.
- Expansive cast means some characters end up feeling underutilized.
- Very little resolution to some of the series' set-ups, which might be remedied with a second season but as of right now this counts.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:14 pm Pros:
- Unique premise and concept that further showcases how Toho is willing to diversify the franchise these days.
- Great animation and visual style.
- Cool and unique monster redesigns/reimaginings.
- Enjoyable and diverse assortment of characters.
- Fantastic music including the best recording of the Godzilla March to date.

Cons:
- Overly complex narrative.
- Rapid/extensive dialogue that can be missed if watching subbed.
- Expansive cast means some characters end up feeling underutilized.
- Very little resolution to some of the series' set-ups, which might be remedied with a second season but as of right now this counts.
This is like 99% same as my view that I got goosebumps a little.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I just rewatched the show recently so here are my thoughts on it
Pro
-The 2-D and 3-D animation I thought were great and mixed well together
-The Fights were entertaining
-The story did keeps me intrigued for me to keep on watching
-Some of the monsters redesign were interesting, and give a nice spin on them
-Gabara I mean “Salunga”… no explanation
-this Godzilla incarnation was fantastic to watch on screen
Con
- The science stuff was so confusing and very hard to understand
-Some of the redesign are very “very” questionable, like why make a design that is very similar Titanosaurus and not make that a Titanosaurus incarnation
-The some Fights scenes are too quick, like Godzilla vs Manda, that fight scenes had about 10 seconds of sceen time.
-The ending felt unfulfilled and didn’t answer the question that was given to us and if it had my little monkey brain couldn’t understand it due to how “smart” it is

GoKelley85
Yojimbo

Post by GoKelley85 »

The animation quality and Monster action are superb. Simply wonderful all around.

The major con is in the handling of exposition which involves a TON of mathematical technobabble.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I have been trying to say this before, but upon finishing season one, but I wholeheartedly and unapologetically hate this show. Too drunk on mathematical gobbledygook, uninteresting characters and I mostly hate the kaiju designs.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Con: technobabble maximus
Pro: Everything else
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

There wasn't much I enjoyed about it. The monsters are my biggest thumbs up, but I couldn't have really cared for the characters. My biggest gripe overall is the vagueness of the scientific terminology used.

I shouldn't have to research quantum physics or wrap my head around some vague rubix cube point to understand what is going on. It was explained poorly.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

The fact that it's been about a year and a half, and I can barely remember this show, says just about everything I think. There were some neat ideas for sure but nothing that "WOW"-ed me. At least it was a lot more watchable than the anime trilogy. That being said, it suffers from the same core problems: an over-complicated storyline and, as several people have aptly put in this thread, way the hell too much "technobabble."

Why have both recent Godzilla anime releases felt the need to be Evangelion-esq, "you need a PhD in pseudoscience to understand this shit," exposition-dump-driven, tedious slogs that drown in their own pretentiousness? Why, why, why, why can we not just get a goddamn good animated kaiju fight? I'm not asking for that to be every episode, either, because that would be fucking tedious, too. Just one good fight spanning the last episode would've done it for me. All I want out of a Godzilla anime is an engaging but simple-to-follow storyline, some decent human characters and a few cool action scenes. I'll never understand why both the anime trilogy and this show tried (and failed) to be highbrow sci-fi dramas which barely even feature Godzilla.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Why do people keep saying pseudo science, when Time Crystals, the concept that the weird materials is based off of in this anime, is in fact R E A L.

https://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/Time_crystal

EDIT: Great I can't even link Wikipedia here. COME ON FOLKS!

taken to their next larger and logical step, time crystals could provide infinite or near infinite energy. This show had a few issues, "making shit up" is not one of them.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:26 pm Why do people keep saying pseudo science, when Time Crystals, the concept that the weird materials is based off of in this anime, is in fact R E A L.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_crystal

EDIT: Great I can't even link Wikipedia here. COME ON FOLKS!

taken to their next larger and logical step, time crystals could provide infinite or near infinite energy. This show had a few issues, "making shit up" is not one of them.
Fixed the link for you.

And I don’t understand the general aggression of this post? Criticism of Singular Point ain’t that serious.
For Emperor and Empire!

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

Pros:
Ultima
A new feel for a Godzilla show
Manda has a decent design
3rd form Rodan looks awesome
The mid-credit cutscene in the final episode was awesome

Cons:
1st form Rodan
Angy's lack of screen time
We have no idea what happened to Ultima or JJ or Salunga (We don't know if Gabara's cooler cousin is alive or not, because that guy can take some hits)

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Sorry. I get really annoyed a year in, about the stuff going on in Singular Point is dismissed as pseudo science. Technobabble? Sure, pseudo science? Absolutely not. The guy who wrote the show is an actual science writer and took into account how such creatures could exist (they are made of materials that break the laws of physics). Time traveling quantum computer? That absolutely happened. For a split second of a split second.

https://www. nytimes. com/2019/05/08/science/quantum-physics-time.html

EDIT: great, I can't even link the NYT here either. Tho, to be fair, that jerk Thomas Friedman cheerleaded us into war almost 20 years ago, so I suppose that's fair.

Just because it's weird doesn't mean its pseudo science.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.