2024 - Godzilla's 70th, what do you expect/hope for?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: 2024 - Godzilla's 70th, what do you expect/hope for?

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

At least for now it doesn't seem like Toho is in too big of a hurry to announce anything.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

They probably are gonna promote the heck outta Shin Ultraman first
Last edited by imposterzilla on Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:24 pm At least for now it doesn't seem like Toho is in too big of a hurry to announce anything.
They'll probably wait until after Shin Ultraman is released.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

vastatosaurus wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:37 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:53 pm Someone brought to my attention Legendary is making a lot of hints that something is coming atleast comic wise so pay attention to them as well.
For example? And the comics seems to be related to the Netflix anime. Becasue Pacific rim: The black also got its tie-in issue from Legendary comics.
Legendary comics posted a messge saying time to get back to work and had a picture of the Kong skull crawler war.

A second post was somone holding Godzilla Dominion and when a fan asked for more Monsterverse comics they responded we're working on it.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:23 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:53 pm Someone brought to my attention Legendary is making a lot of hints that something is coming atleast comic wise so pay attention to them as well.
For example? And the comics seems to be related to the Netflix anime. Becasue Pacific rim: The black also got its tie-in issue from Legendary comics.
Legendary comics posted a messge saying time to get back to work and had a picture of the Kong skull crawler war.

A second post was somone holding Godzilla Dominion and when a fan asked for more Monsterverse comics they responded we're working on it.
Yeap. I assume those are about the Netflix Anime.

Added in 2 hours 50 minutes 13 seconds:
Oh, and I think I heard rumors from you that Dominion's sequel comics might come out.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:23 am

Oh, and I think I heard rumors from you that Dominion's sequel comics might come out.
👁👁

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:23 am

I got told yes Dominion is getting a sequel but too be fair Dominion does end with to be continued.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

imposterzilla wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:54 am They probably are gonna promote the heck outta Shin Ultraman first
An event of which I cannot WAIT for. :huge:
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Cross promotion would be epic

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I plan on making my first trip to Japan for the 70th, so I hope its something big. Either way, I'm there will be a ton of awesome merchandise. But it would be really cool to attend an anniversary event.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I think Toho has something in the works. We know Warner announced a MonsterVerse series and only briefly mentioned a possible GvK follow-up that might not even feature Godzilla. I think that shows Toho has something up their sleeve. If WB had another film to make it for 2024 it would probably have been announced already. There's just not enough time for Warner to prep something that soon. It could be done but I can't see it especially with Covid slowing everything down.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:47 pm I think Toho has something in the works. We know Warner announced a MonsterVerse series and only briefly mentioned a possible GvK follow-up that might not even feature Godzilla. I think that shows Toho has something up their sleeve. If WB had another film to make it for 2024 it would probably have been announced already. There's just not enough time for Warner to prep something that soon. It could be done but I can't see it especially with Covid slowing everything down.
A Godzilla movie would have to start filming this summer to make a 2024 release, maybe this fall but they would have to have a script and a director on board.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I really don't think that there'll be a movie in 2024. Another season of Singular Point maybe. Possibly a short film. Definitely something. But not a movie.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:35 pm I really don't think that there'll be a movie in 2024. Another season of Singular Point maybe. Possibly a short film. Definitely something. But not a movie.
Why do you think so? They have never skipped every 10th anniversary. And as MV is now catching its breath by streaming contents, this is the perfect time for Toho to step in. Like Shin Godzilla suddenly came out.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The Apple TV series just might be the anniversary production.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

vastatosaurus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:25 pm
Vakanai wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:35 pm I really don't think that there'll be a movie in 2024. Another season of Singular Point maybe. Possibly a short film. Definitely something. But not a movie.
Why do you think so? They have never skipped every 10th anniversary.
The Toho of 2022 is very different in the way it handles Godzilla than the Toho of 1984, 1994, 2004 and even 2014.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^Yeah, Toho is totally different and not celebrating anniversaries like they used to. It’s not like they made a short film last year to celebrate a 50th anniversary of Hedorah and continually sell merchandise with anniversary labeling.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I'd argue Toho now is even more aware of anniversaries than ever before.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

vastatosaurus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:25 pm
Why do you think so? They have never skipped every 10th anniversary. And as MV is now catching its breath by streaming contents, this is the perfect time for Toho to step in. Like Shin Godzilla suddenly came out.
Because I don't think they feel the need exactly because of the MV. Because they have been letting other studios like Polygon and Bones and Orange make the anime versions. Because they've never made a sequel to Shin despite the wild success. Because they keep making smaller stuff like Goji-ban, the Hedorah short film. Because they do rides. Because they make cameos like that Snow Godzilla thing. Because every day that passes there's less time to make one. Because it's harder to film cause covid.

We have more Godzilla content than ever, but Toho seems content to make very few feature length films themselves. They've found ways to make cash of Godzilla with very little or no effort on their part. They'll make short films and rides and plan little cameos and cross promotions, and they'll let Legendary make most of the films, and other studios to make anime stuff, and they'll only do like one film a decade, and not always on an anniversary, just to show they still can.

That's my fear. They'll make something for 2024, I just don't think it'll be a theatrical film.
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:32 pm The Apple TV series just might be the anniversary production.
What Apple TV series? I haven't heard of one. Sure you don't mean Netflix's Singular Point series?
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:59 pm ^Yeah, Toho is totally different and not celebrating anniversaries like they used to. It’s not like they made a short film last year to celebrate a 50th anniversary of Hedorah and continually sell merchandise with anniversary labeling.
I said that I expect a short film or something, and a ton of merchandise. I'm sure that they will celebrate the anniversary. I just don't think that celebration will include a feature length film. They seem to be doing everything but.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:33 pm
What Apple TV series? I haven't heard of one. Sure you don't mean Netflix's Singular Point series?
Legendary Pictures is working with Apple TV+ to produce a Live-action series based in the Monsterverse. Haven’t you heard?