Could a Ghidorah Solo film work?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Could a Ghidorah Solo film work?

Post by LegendZilla »

I know this idea has been brought up many times across this forum, but I just thought I'd establish a thread dedicated to it. That is, assuming someone hasn't done so already, because If any of you already have, I apologize. Anyways, the topic of this thread regards whether or not it would be a good idea for Toho to produce a solo-film revolving around The Joker to Godzilla's Batman, King Ghidorah.

How would you do such a movie if handed the reins? I think the gist of the film will be that it will largely be a modernized re-working of GTTHM, only without Godzilla and co. They should try to stay true to the character's Showa-era background by involving the ancient Venusian civilization, or another original alien culture into the story. Maybe this time around, they could actually show what Ghidorah did to other worlds in the form of flashbacks. Most importantly, what do you think the plot should revolve around, that is obviously besides Ghidorah himself landing on Earth to take names and wreck shit up.

Feedback will be much appreciated. ;)

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: Could a Ghidorah Solo film work?

Post by Thatguy4683 »

To be honest it depends on what direction they are going. In this case Ghidorah solo movie will have many directions, he could be a good guy turn into a bad guy, genetically engineered or something else entirely as long it’s done well.
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Maybe do something like Singular Point, but have it truly be mystical (we kind of need some magic stuff since we haven't had something like that in a while since the Anime trilogy). Have something like the anime trilogy (a living apocalypse coming to the world), but without other kaiju.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

For your information, I do not envision a trilogy or anything, but rather a one-shot film.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:50 pm For your information, I do not envision a trilogy or anything, but rather a one-shot film.
Oh no, I don't mean to make a trilogy or anything like that. I meant make it like the atmosphere of the original anime trilogy (trying to make you marvel at the scale and the world, something like that).
Last edited by HillyHulk on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

HillyHulk wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:21 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:50 pm For your information, I do not envision a trilogy or anything, but rather a one-shot film.
Oh no, I don't mean to make a trilogy or anything like that. I meant make it like atmosphere of the original anime trilogy (trying to make you marvel at the scale and the world, something like that).
I get where you're coming from. Also, I think that maybe it should take place on contemporary Earth rather than the far-future.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

If I did a Ghidorah-centered film / series, i'd make it about his followers, their culture, and the general public feelings about them in the modern climate. Ghidorah would arrive at about the third act and everybody would have to deal with what he is truly like. Not a benevolent deity, but a powerful destructor.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

The thing that surprises me is people think a film about what's usually a space monster hast to take place on earth.

I say a Ghidorah film could be a sci-fi fantasy ala Dark Crystal or an anime sci-fi oneshot.

See Ghidorah destroying a world through the eyes of characters on a quest to find a solution.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:24 am If I did a Ghidorah-centered film / series, i'd make it about his followers, their culture, and the general public feelings about them in the modern climate. Ghidorah would arrive at about the third act and everybody would have to deal with what he is truly like. Not a benevolent deity, but a powerful destructor.
Not gonna lie, THIS is what we need. Make it the Showa Ghidorah, too.
For Emperor and Empire!

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

I mean it has the potential to work, just feel like a spin-off series is better

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Let him win.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

My idea for a Ghidorah solo film is to have it take place on another planet. Basically it would be like Promotheus.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

YES I've been saying for years.
Everyone who says otherwise because "boring to see him wreck earth' solo is not remembering HE IS A SPACE MONSTER. He is the perfect big name for a setting other than Earth.
Space Opera, Fantasy like the Dark Crystal...
So many genres you could fit him in.
Create beautiful worlds and the audience watch Ghidorah tear them apart.

You could have a giant space mecha concept like Gundam or Voltron where King Ghidorah is one sides superweapon.
Or a fantasy-adventure story where you play up his "alteration of environment" idea from Monsterverse as see the ecosystems change and the protagonists try to find some macguffin to stop him or let their people escape the planet.

You just need to find a good story and make it fit his themes and imagery. King Ghidorah is shiny and regal but doesn't act like it, so a perfect monster for villains that have a pretty facade.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

As much as I love King Ghidirah, he's not the kind of monster with much character. Not sure how you'd create an engaging film around him.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:14 am As much as I love King Ghidirah, he's not the kind of monster with much character. Not sure how you'd create an engaging film around him.
A space movie is something uniquely easy to Ghidorah or Gigan in Toho's gallery. Perhaps even make a film an animated space opera. And there is great symbolism possible with him as the symbol and superweapon of an evil space empire. In human folklore, many invading armies have been represented by dragons.

King Ghidorah could be like Manda is to MU in the film Atragon, but better integrated into the plot and still have agency in this setup, allying to interstellar civilizations that cause the most misery despite not being card-carrying villains and talking of things such as "peace and order".

I have for a while considered the idea of different aliens "controlling" Ghidorah in different ways, allowing an examination of
Xilians: Most direct. Would likely not end well for them in the long run, as if the control ever weakens…

Kilaaks: Like summoning and binding a demon to perform a task.

Nebulan Space Hunter M: They’re his drug dealers, er pleasure wave providers. (Ghidrah was very out of it in many scenes in Godzilla vs Gigan.)

Garoga: “Yeah , sure you “control” me. Keep giving me new toys to play with and helping me focus my powers and we’re cool."
while that was my showa headcanons, it gives an idea of possible different relationships for different villainous associates.

To quote the website HorrorFlora's section on Iconic Horror Fiction Characters
King Ghidorah himself is an imposing villain. If Mothra is what Godzilla and Rodan could be if they hadn’t been ravaged by humanity, then I think Ghidorah is the opposite – he’s what Godzilla and Rodan would be if they had been corrupted completely. The text doesn’t state this as clearly as it does with Mothra. It’s obvious that Mothra is the good example Godzilla and Rodan should follow, mainly because we see her origin. We don’t see what created King Ghidorah, but we can infer some things about him.

Godzilla and Rodan are both angry beings, and their violence is born out of that anger. All of the monsters in the Godzilla series work like this – the more they are hurt, the more they are angry, and the more they are angry, the more violent they become. Ghidorah takes his anger and violence to extremes that even Godzilla and Rodan find distasteful. Godzilla and Rodan are angry, but Ghidorah is downright hateful. His fury has become a sadistic malevolence, a desire to destroy everything.

The path of war and wickedness seems appealing, with shiny tanks and jets and brilliant, beautiful explosions. You can be tricked into thinking it is noble and, in some way, beautiful. When you see it in action, however, you realize it is worse than the more homely, honest path of the righteous. Ghidorah causes mass destruction with gaudy, revolting glee, his war cry being an insane, cackling laugh as his necks and tail flail with maniac glee and rain death haphazardly in every direction. There is nothing beautiful or noble in the way Ghidorah acts, no matter how pretty he may look. So too is the way of War. Nature and harmony, on the other hand, are more subdued. Sometimes the truth is homely or dull and lusterless, like Godzilla and Rodan. Sometimes it even looks a little unpleasant, like the repulsive look of Mothra’s larval form. Yet when you stick to the righteous path and follow through, it does reveal a beauty to you – like the colorful yet tasteful look of Mothra[showa’s] imago form. It may not shine as brightly as Ghidorah’s scales, but good is beautiful all the same when you give it time.