2024 - Godzilla's 70th, what do you expect/hope for?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2024 - Godzilla's 70th, what do you expect/hope for?

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Toho will make another live action film, and I'm positive they'll be one in time for the 70th anniversary in 2024. Remembers guys we're just about to roll into 2022, who knows what they will announce or have already been planning in the shadows.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

My guess is that Toho would consider another live-action film. No idea what direction they’d take, but I’m sure that a portion of the fan base will love it while others will undoubtedly hate it regardless of how Toho swings.

I do think it would be hard to top the coverage they got when they announced Shin Godzilla though. The benefit of having something in “hibernation” is that the comeback is more anticipated. So I don’t know what a new film would be like.

I definitely expect a lot of cool products though.
Last edited by Creature22 on Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I had an excellent idea! Let it be a movie where all Godzillas meet up and have to eventually all face the pantheon of Godzilla foes.

All Godzillas Destroy All Monsters!

Starring: G54, Showa, 98, G2K, GxM, GMK, Kiryu Saga, Final Wars, Legendary, Shin, Earth, Ultima, and hell, even cartoon Godzillas like HB, Godzilland and Chibi Godzilla.
Last edited by Voyager on Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

I expect a live action movie that will open doors to a shared universe

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Maybe a reworked version of GMK's Angiras, Baragon, Vegan plot. Mist science fictiony, but have just Anguirius and Varan, but with mysterious origins.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Nicholas Winding Refn makes a direct sequel to GFW.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:33 pm I had an excellent idea! Let it be a movie where all Godzillas meet up and have to eventually all face the pantheon of Godzilla foes.

All Godzillas Destroy All Monsters!

Starring: G54, Showa, 98, G2K, GxM, GMK, Kiryu Saga, Final Wars, Legendary, Shin, Earth, Ultima, and hell, even cartoon Godzillas like HB, Godzilland and Chibi Godzilla.
I’m an staunch advocate of seeing this franchise one day embrace the multiverse angle.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I think it's inevitable. There are a ridiculous number of Godzilla continuities available to play with at this point, with dramatic variation in their settings and inhabitants. The Monsterverse shows that Toho is willing to openly ape Marvel, who are currently raking in cash through a multiverse project. And Singular Point already dealt with the kaiju coming to Earth from another dimension, perhaps a test of the waters for a bigger interdimensional story to come. Hell, SP might be the prologue and we didn't even realize it! We have Godzilla Ultima crossing dimensional boundaries and breaking down the fabric of reality wherever he goes. What if he's the catalyst for the crossover?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

If they absolutely *had* to do the multiverse crap (I really would prefer Godzilla bucked the trend and didn't) it would be kinda neat if Ultima and like... Planet Eater Noodle Ghidorah were both some kind of Alpha and Omega duo. Both invade and consume worlds on their own, constantly inching closer to a confrontation that would end all realities.
ideally this plot would come to a head in Nicholas Winding Refn's Minya's Revenge-From the Book Of Godzilla: Final Wars
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:06 am If they absolutely *had* to do the multiverse crap (I really would prefer Godzilla bucked the trend and didn't) it would be kinda neat if Ultima and like... Planet Eater Noodle Ghidorah were both some kind of Alpha and Omega duo. Both invade and consume worlds on their own, constantly inching closer to a confrontation that would end all realities.
ideally this plot would come to a head in Nicholas Winding Refn's Minya's Revenge-From the Book Of Godzilla: Final Wars
Would’ve you preferred if the latest Spiderman film didn’t do the whole multiverse angle?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:15 pm Would’ve you preferred if the latest Spiderman film didn’t do the whole multiverse angle?
Interesting point! I guess I would have preferred they didn't, but the new Spider-Man did do a great job. It had a fantastic script that managed to juggle a lot of moving parts and (in my opinion) course correct a lot of things I didn't like about Tom Holland's tenure thusfar, not to mention fantastic cinematography.
I guess you could say I liked it in spite of the multiverse angle?
I have very different criteria for what I expect from a Sony/Disney MCU movie and a Toho-produced
Godzilla picture, to be fair. If the Legendary movies wanna trend-chase, cool, but I'd prefer Toho continue experimenting in new directions.
But, if that's what Toho absolutely set their hearts on, then that's fine, as long as it's well made and justifies the multiverse angle in it's storytelling. Just cuz I don't like it doesn't mean it's bad.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:09 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:15 pm Would’ve you preferred if the latest Spiderman film didn’t do the whole multiverse angle?
Interesting point! I guess I would have preferred they didn't, but the new Spider-Man did do a great job. It had a fantastic script that managed to juggle a lot of moving parts and (in my opinion) course correct a lot of things I didn't like about Tom Holland's tenure thusfar, not to mention fantastic cinematography.
I guess you could say I liked it in spite of the multiverse angle?
I have very different criteria for what I expect from a Sony/Disney MCU movie and a Toho-produced
Godzilla picture, to be fair. If the Legendary movies wanna trend-chase, cool, but I'd prefer Toho continue experimenting in new directions.
But, if that's what Toho absolutely set their hearts on, then that's fine, as long as it's well made and justifies the multiverse angle in it's storytelling. Just cuz I don't like it doesn't mean it's bad.
I know I’ve said this before, but before I’ve advocated the idea of a Heisei continuation taking place after the events of GvD, but now I think it would be a better idea to do something a bit different. I am thinking that they did could do a film acting as a follow up to G84 and GvB while ignoring the 90’s films. It would be a nice mesh of both old and new in terms of directions.

How do you imagine the plot would go? What kind of opponent should Godzilla face off against? For such a film to work, Toho should try to replicate the tone and style of the first two Heisei films.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

^ a Heisei continuation would be pretty cool. Maybe they could do something crazy like a The Thing/Barubaroi kind of creature.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:43 am ^ a Heisei continuation would be pretty cool. Maybe they could do something crazy like a The Thing/Barubaroi kind of creature.
Barubori is basically Hedorah minus the pollution-motif.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Fuck it.

I've wanted it for years but now that No Way Home is making ALL the money, I'm gonna say it.

Multi Godzilla era crossover. Animated, live action film, short like Godzilla vs Hedorah, whatever. Just a big meet up of all the big incarnations (Showa, Heisei, Legendary, Shin, I'd love everyone but expectations lol) teaming up against a common enemy (Likely Ghidorah or Mechagodzilla, both because they are the biggest names and it's their respective 60th and 50th.)

RIP Evan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:44 pm skreeonk it.

I've wanted it for years but now that No Way Home is making ALL the money, I'm gonna say it.

Multi Godzilla era crossover. Animated, live action film, short like Godzilla vs Hedorah, whatever. Just a big meet up of all the big incarnations (Showa, Heisei, Legendary, Shin, I'd love everyone but expectations lol) teaming up against a common enemy (Likely Ghidorah or Mechagodzilla, both because they are the biggest names and it's their respective 60th and 50th.)
It would probably work best in a TV show.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:44 pm skreeonk it.

Luckily for you:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Eh, I'd really rather not have Toho chase after the MCU.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

If Toho came to me and was like, “You’re in Charge of Godzilla’s 70th anniversary what do you want to do?” Taking entirely stateside here, although if they wanted to do this stuff everywhere, that’d be cool too.

First off, a line of Novel reprints:
The Godzilla Library
Gorgeous hardcovers containing two novels and new Covers by American and Japanese artists. Color insert pages with the original cover images. (Mostly so I can get that Eggleton goodness.)

Showa Collection:
Translations of Kaiju Godzilla and Mothra and the Luminous Fairies

Heisei collection V.1
Translations of Godzilla-Movie Novel and Return of Godzilla Novelization

V.2
Translations of Godzilla vs. Biollante and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah Novelizations

Millennium:
Godzilla (1998) Novelization and translation of Godzilla 2000 novelization

Anime Trilogy Novel Collections:

Monster Apocalypse Collection:
Translations of Monster Apocalypse and Project Mechagodzilla

Planet of the Monsters Collection:
Translations of Planet of the Monsters and The Planet Eater Novelizations

World of Monsters(? Not sure what to call these, but collects the Random House Novels) V.1
Returns, 2000, and World’s End
V.2
Robot Monsters and Lost Continent (Can market it as a “new novel” or “lost” novel.)

Junior Library:
Similar collection, but not hardcover or with the Prestige treatment as kids won’t really go for that. Instead market it as 4 books in one! With Color Pictures! Of Eggleton’s covers and promotional photos of the main Kaiju in the books
King of the Monsters
Invades America
Vs. the Space Monster
Journey to Monster Island

In addition to reprints; A collection of new short stories from Sci-Fi Authors ala the Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View or Canto Byte Collections.

Other wish list items:

4K Restoration Set
The new 4K Scans in a 6 Disc Set (or alternatively a 7 disc set with 4K Shin too!)

IDW Godzilla: Rulers of Earth Deluxe Edition Hardcover with the entire series

English Translation Godzilla Manga Collection-1954-1959

Battle History: King Ghidorah, Mothra, and Mechagodzilla manga collections translated into English-with disclaimer about offensive portrayals and the context of the time they were made in.

Complete Return of Godzilla Manga Hardcover-restored B&W ver. With new translation and Dark Horse’s Terror of Godzilla color version and that translation.

Rodan/Gargantuas Blu-Ray Release (or at least these two and Telegian and Human Vapor set from Eclipse)

Unleashed Remaster/Remake for current Gen

Godzilla PS4 release for PS5 from Limited Run games

And the centerpiece of the 70th would be:
Godzilla 7 Decades/7 Countries miniseries
A series of 30-45 minute short narratives with filmmakers from around the world adapting Godzilla into their culture.

Later they’d be released on Netflix/Blu-RY, but they could premiere alongside theatrical rereleases of 7 films from across the decades.
My picks would be:
50’s-Godzilla
60’s-Invasion of Astro Monster
70’s-Vs. Hedorah
80’s-Return of Godzilla
90’s-Vs. Destroyah
2000’s-GMK
10’s-Shin

What I think is likely/realistic: a couple IDW miniseries and a season 2 or 3 of Singular Point along with a ton merch.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I have nothing but a feeling in the back of my head but I think the silence is around the franchise right now is because Toho and Legendary are trying to do some kind of MV Godzilla vs Reiwa Godzilla project.

They've teased it indirectly at least twice.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image