Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by LegendZilla »

^Seeing that list makes me wonder what a Shin James Bond will be like.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:35 pm The Hideaki Anno Exhibition is going on right now at Tokyo's National Art Center. There's a huge section devoted to his childhood influences; part of that includes a graphic (which is going around social media) listing specific films that influenced him. The list is:
Spoiler:
Seeing the 1940s animated serial there, can't help but still wonder if that one episode ever had anything to do with the inspiration for Godzilla. I mean, it feels so much like a spoof of Goji despite predating him.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The design of Godzilla in this film looks like a mix of Shodai, ‘62 and Heisei.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:19 pm The design of Godzilla in this film looks like a mix of Shodai, ‘62 and Heisei.
Don't really see the similarities besides them all being Godzilla. Shin looks entirely like its own thing.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Smuggers wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:26 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:19 pm The design of Godzilla in this film looks like a mix of Shodai, ‘62 and Heisei.
Don't really see the similarities besides them all being Godzilla. Shin looks entirely like its own thing.
He has the expression of Shodai, the facial features and head-shape of '62 and the rest of his body is akin to the Heisei Goji, especially with the ludicrously long tail.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:30 pm He has the expression of Shodai, the facial features and head-shape of '62 and the rest of his body is akin to the Heisei Goji, especially with the ludicrously long tail.
Yeah sorry but I just can't see any of these
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I can't see that at all....

To me, it's just a more "realistic" version of the 54 and that's about it.....

Or put another way, it's the 54 filtered through Cronnenberg

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I see him as Hedorah in Godzilla's clothing.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:35 pm The Hideaki Anno Exhibition is going on right now at Tokyo's National Art Center. There's a huge section devoted to his childhood influences; part of that includes a graphic (which is going around social media) listing specific films that influenced him. The list is:
Spoiler:
There's a suprising amount of Bond films in there

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:29 am
Spoiler:
There's a suprising amount of Bond films in there
Makes me wonder what a Shin James Bond will be like.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:03 pm ^Seeing that list makes me wonder what a Shin James Bond will be like.
He just silently strolls around London without a care in the world until a stray bullet catches him in the shoulder. He draws his firearm and goes to town on the bad guys while the soundtrack plays a mournful song about how the life of a secret agent means nobody will remember his name after he dies. The scene ends with an exhausted Bond collapsing into bed with a woman as London burns in the background.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Spuro wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:01 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:03 pm ^Seeing that list makes me wonder what a Shin James Bond will be like.
He just silently strolls around London without a care in the world until a stray bullet catches him in the shoulder. He draws his firearm and goes to town on the bad guys while the soundtrack plays a mournful song about how the life of a secret agent means nobody will remember his name after he dies. The scene ends with an exhausted Bond collapsing into bed with a woman as London burns in the background.
I imagine that appearance-wise James Bond will be like his original literary incarnation, only amped up to 11. He would not only be covered from head to toe in scars, but physically disfigured and ugly from all the STDs he received from years of sleeping with every woman he could seduce.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Spuro wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:01 pm
10/10

Would watch at least once a month.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Spuro wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:01 pm the life of a secret agent means nobody will remember his name after he dies
More or less the basis for Melville's Le Samourai
He Jock it Made of Steel

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Watched Shin for the first time in a while today. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the characters. Some argue there is no depth to the characters in this film but I disagree. Each has their own individual quirks and motivations that make them likeable, even if they're only on screen for a short period of time.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

There's definitely some KingGoji in Shin in an aggerated/grotesque way.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Thinking back to how well this did in 2016 with critics and in Japan I'm suprised it wasn't at least nominated for heat foreign film at the Oscars.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:30 pm Thinking back to how well this did in 2016 with critics and in Japan I'm suprised it wasn't at least nominated for heat foreign film at the Oscars.
While I disagree the notion that people don't like giant monsters and believe that people use it as a strawman to counter or defend Godzilla films from performing amazing world wide, I think it reflects on the fact that a lot of the oscars people have a very particular taste of what they like/don't like, and Shin Godzilla doesn't fit into that mold nicely. It's clearly important, to both culturally and socially to Japan, but doesn't fit nicely into the types of dramas that typically get nominated/win these awards.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:39 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:30 pm Thinking back to how well this did in 2016 with critics and in Japan I'm suprised it wasn't at least nominated for heat foreign film at the Oscars.
While I disagree the notion that people don't like giant monsters and believe that people use it as a strawman to counter or defend Godzilla films from performing amazing world wide, I think it reflects on the fact that a lot of the oscars people have a very particular taste of what they like/don't like, and Shin Godzilla doesn't fit into that mold nicely. It's clearly important, to both culturally and socially to Japan, but doesn't fit nicely into the types of dramas that typically get nominated/win these awards.
That makes sense. Shin to me doesn't feel like a Godzilla film where it's just fun watching monsters fight. Shin like Gojira tries to tell a serious stroy with a Giant monster being the vehicle.

I always felt if Oscar critics laughed at the Godzilla series that would look differently at Gojira.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:03 am I can't see that at all....

To me, it's just a more "realistic" version of the 54 and that's about it.....

Or put another way, it's the 54 filtered through Cronnenberg
Just my personal opinion but I think 54 feels alot more "realistic" looking than Shin does. 54 looks in many ways what I think a dinosaur thing would look like if much of its skin & back got blown off by a bomb.
Shin on the other hand, while I love everything about his design, I could argue has "trying too hard" features all over him. Built in Villian smile, the glowing red patches & his "super long tail with a friggin face at the end of it"! Yeah as a design I think Shin is many times more outlandish. :Spacegodzilla: