Original monsters in the Reiwa era

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Original monsters in the Reiwa era

Post by LegendZilla »

I am aware that I may have spread this idea around in the past, but I'd just thought I'd give it another shot. Everyone in the fandom loves to see their favorite monsters return every now and then right? However, we can't let said monsters to all the heavy lifting, otherwise things will go stale pretty quickly. That is why with every new era of Godzilla films, Toho like to introduce us to whole-new kaiju when they feel the time has come to do so. Anyways, what ideas for original monsters do you have for when Toho decides to make Godzilla films again? What will they be like? Where does their inspiration draw from? Most importantly, how will they tie into the plot of each film? My Ideas include :

1. A Giant Centipede Kaiju made from mixing Godzilla's DNA with a centipede's,
2. A Trilobyte kaiju that would serve as a good nod to the 1954 original. However, I think such a kaiju would be best fit for canon-fodder.
3. A Giant, mutated-virus kaiju which of course will be made to reflect on what the world is going through right now.
4. A Computer-Virus kaiju that sucks its victims into the digital world. The idea draws from Tsuburaya Production's Denko Choujin Gridman
5. Mecha Mothra. I believe no explanation is needed for this one.

Anyways, that's my share of ideas. I would appreciate feedback very much.

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Original monsters in the Reiwa era

Post by Gigantis »

I'm pretty sure this thread already exists.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

A trilobite kaiju in film would be cool, although we did get IDW's Trilopods already.

Mechamothra is basically obligatory. There are a lot of potentially interesting possibilities that could be played with.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:20 am I'm pretty sure this thread already exists.
Albeit for an earlier and now-defunct version of this sub-forum.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

How about a Lamprey based kaiju? It fed on Godzilla, and has mutated over time into a giant terror.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:41 pm How about a Lamprey based kaiju? It fed on Godzilla, and has mutated over time into a giant terror.
A later day Shockilus.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

They should make some Kaiju based on spirits, monsters and yokai from all across Japanese mythologies.

Added in 24 seconds:
Maybe make even Godzilla himself such a being.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:12 pm They should make some Kaiju based on spirits, monsters and yokai from all across Japanese mythologies.

Added in 24 seconds:
GMK says hi.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:06 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:12 pm They should make some Kaiju based on spirits, monsters and yokai from all across Japanese mythologies.

Added in 24 seconds:
GMK says hi.
But Godzilla's not a creature or spirit from actual Japanese mythology in that film, or even based on it. He's still more grounded towards real-world events and problems. I'm saying make Kaiju that are actually based on mythological creatures in Japanese folklore such as the Jorogumo, a shape-shifting female demon/yokai that takes the form of a spider with a woman's face.

Or alternatively, make Godzilla a very similar type of folklorish demon/yokai/oni.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:22 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:06 pm

Added in 24 seconds:
GMK says hi.
But Godzilla's not a creature or spirit from actual Japanese mythology in that film, or even based on it. He's still more grounded towards real-world events and problems. I'm saying make Kaiju that are actually based on mythological creatures in Japanese folklore such as the Jorogumo, a shape-shifting female demon/yokai that takes the form of a spider with a woman's face.

Or alternatively, make Godzilla a very similar type of folklorish demon/yokai/oni.
If Toho decided to go with an Elseworlds-type route with Godzilla, then I can totally see that happening

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

A kaiju with ice powers would be cool.

I would love a bipedal kaiju with Iris and Monster X vibes.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:20 am A kaiju with ice powers would be cool.

I would love a bipedal kaiju with Iris and Monster X vibes.
Actually, in the first one, Toei did that first (I think) with Icelar/Igganog in Giant Robo/Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot.

UPDATE: I stand corrected; Daiei did that first with Barugon, then came Icelar/Igganog.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^More Quadraped Kaiju would be a warm welcome

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

A Frog/Toad monster.
For Emperor and Empire!

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Voyager wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:02 am A Frog/Toad monster.
I'm really coming around to the idea of a frog/toad monster.

I can imagine:
- The frog using its tongue to grab a bunch of people in the crowd as they're running away
- It grabbing buildings, monuments, and trains with its tongue, and throwing them back at Godzilla with it
- It being an absolute tank when it comes to tackling
- Poisoning monsters to wear out their stamina
- It being a natural predator to kumonga, kamacarus, mothra/battra larva, the praying mantises, and other insect kaiju
- Powerful, but agile jumps
- a loud croaking sounding roar

Added in 8 minutes 19 seconds:
And Godzilla vs. The Frog Monster as a title. :D
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

An armadillo or anteater monster. I can just visualize a giant creature using its huge claws to tear away the sides of buildings and using its long sticky tongue to lap up the juicy human morsels inside. A human POV shot of the tongue darting through hallways as people try to escape could make for a suspenseful and disturbing sequence.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I think we could benefit from more kaiju that designs generally fall into the category of "weird". Kaiju like Iris usually get a lot of fans because of having unique designs like that, and the Godzilla franchise itself doesn't really have a lot of kaiju that can fall into the category.. well, besides Biollante lol

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:02 am

I can imagine:
- The frog using its tongue to grab a bunch of people in the crowd as they're running away
- It grabbing buildings, monuments, and trains with its tongue, and throwing them back at Godzilla with it
- It being a natural predator to kumonga, kamacarus, mothra/battra larva, the praying mantises, and other insect kaiju

Great minds think alike, clearly. I came up with a similar concept for the Emergence: Kaiju Invasion RPG a few years back (spoiler'd for length):
Spoiler:
Name: The Kroaken

Height: 280 feet on hind legs.

Physical description: Essentially a gigantic frog, but with some important differences. Her head is proportionally smaller than a standard frog's, and sits on a short but flexible neck; this allows for the head to easily face forward or look down when she is standing erect. Her eyes, yellow-green with black pupils, are set a bit lower on the sides of her head than a standard frog, and a horned ridge of bone protrudes from head above each eye; a spiky boss of bone runs between the ridges across the top of the head, good for ramming enemies. Wide mouth is filled with short but sharp teeth, and powered by jaw muscles that can deliver a vicious bite and maintain a strong grip. Legs are arranged so that bipedal locomotion is possible, if a bit slow and ungainly; webbed toes are tipped with sharp, curved claws useful in combat. Slimy, warty skin is mostly bright yellow in color, with large, irregularly-shaped, black-outlined purple patches scattered across body; one covers much of right side of face, including area around right eye.

Emergence: The amphibious monster the media would dub "The Kroaken" was one of the first kaiju to appear, rising suddenly out of Lake Erie and ravaging the Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio on a crowded afternoon. Hundreds were killed, many of those eaten alive by the voracious predator, and hundreds more injured in the chaos. The park itself was left in total ruins, nearly every large ride and building smashed to pieces before the Kroaken tired of her rampage. She returned to the lake and has yet to make landfall again.

Personality: This froglike brute is very aggressively territorial, staking out a large home range for herself (much of the Great Lakes region, currently) and holding it stubbornly against anything that even might be a threat; several hapless ships and boats have already been sent to the lake's bottom in pieces for daring to cross her path. Humans on foot aren't generally large enough to be treated as a threat, but make up for that by being highly edible.

Powers/Abilities:

- Hind legs allow for leaps of up to twelve hundred feet, roughly four times the monster's body length. This may pale in comparison to the relative leaping ability of many smaller frogs, but is impressive enough considering the Kroaken's massive size.

- Sticky, prehensile tongue is about 350 feet long, can be fired out at high speed to catch prey or wrap around enemy kaiju to trip them or pull them closer.

- Bold coloration warns of lethal toxins contained within skin. Any attempt to bite into skin will kill a 'normal' animal within seconds, seriously debilitate or potentially kill most kaiju within minutes.

- Throat sac can amplify croaks to dangerous volumes, deafening to nearby small creatures and painful to kaiju. The sheer sonic force of the sound can rattle surrounding buildings and moderately stun kaiju.

- Amphibious; excellent swimmer and perfectly at home in both fresh or salt water.

- If sufficiently enraged, enters a Battle Mode like some of her fellow kaiju. This increases general strength and ferocity, doubles leaping range, equips tip of tongue with spiked club (hard plates protect inside of Kroaken's mouth), increases sonic croak power to something capable of bowling a kaiju off its feet, and most importantly, allows blue beams of pure kinetic energy to be emitted from brow ridges, powerful enough to punch through a mountain or send most kaiju sprawling.

- Asexual reproduction. Lays large numbers of eggs in water, protected by surprisingly durable masses of gelatinous material. Kroaken will protect these eggs to the death. Eggs hatch within a few days, releasing human-sized tadpoles that are already self-sufficient, dangerous predators comparable to sharks. Parental care ends here; tadpoles disperse and metamorphose into adult form within a few weeks. (Or so; I'll have to see what kind of timeframe is actually practical when the time comes.)

Weaknesses: Doesn't do well outside of water for long periods, and must hydrate frequently to avoid drying out. Capable of substantial bursts of activity, but tires fairly quickly; Battle Mode burns through energy very quickly, and can't be sustained for more than a few minutes.
I still wish that game hadn't fizzled out before it ever really got anywhere...

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:50 am
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:02 am

I can imagine:

Great minds think alike, clearly. I came up with a similar concept for the Emergence: Kaiju Invasion RPG a few years back (spoiler'd for length):
Spoiler:
Name: The Kroaken

Height: 280 feet on hind legs.

Physical description: Essentially a gigantic frog, but with some important differences. Her head is proportionally smaller than a standard frog's, and sits on a short but flexible neck; this allows for the head to easily face forward or look down when she is standing erect. Her eyes, yellow-green with black pupils, are set a bit lower on the sides of her head than a standard frog, and a horned ridge of bone protrudes from head above each eye; a spiky boss of bone runs between the ridges across the top of the head, good for ramming enemies. Wide mouth is filled with short but sharp teeth, and powered by jaw muscles that can deliver a vicious bite and maintain a strong grip. Legs are arranged so that bipedal locomotion is possible, if a bit slow and ungainly; webbed toes are tipped with sharp, curved claws useful in combat. Slimy, warty skin is mostly bright yellow in color, with large, irregularly-shaped, black-outlined purple patches scattered across body; one covers much of right side of face, including area around right eye.

Emergence: The amphibious monster the media would dub "The Kroaken" was one of the first kaiju to appear, rising suddenly out of Lake Erie and ravaging the Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio on a crowded afternoon. Hundreds were killed, many of those eaten alive by the voracious predator, and hundreds more injured in the chaos. The park itself was left in total ruins, nearly every large ride and building smashed to pieces before the Kroaken tired of her rampage. She returned to the lake and has yet to make landfall again.

Personality: This froglike brute is very aggressively territorial, staking out a large home range for herself (much of the Great Lakes region, currently) and holding it stubbornly against anything that even might be a threat; several hapless ships and boats have already been sent to the lake's bottom in pieces for daring to cross her path. Humans on foot aren't generally large enough to be treated as a threat, but make up for that by being highly edible.

Powers/Abilities:

- Hind legs allow for leaps of up to twelve hundred feet, roughly four times the monster's body length. This may pale in comparison to the relative leaping ability of many smaller frogs, but is impressive enough considering the Kroaken's massive size.

- Sticky, prehensile tongue is about 350 feet long, can be fired out at high speed to catch prey or wrap around enemy kaiju to trip them or pull them closer.

- Bold coloration warns of lethal toxins contained within skin. Any attempt to bite into skin will kill a 'normal' animal within seconds, seriously debilitate or potentially kill most kaiju within minutes.

- Throat sac can amplify croaks to dangerous volumes, deafening to nearby small creatures and painful to kaiju. The sheer sonic force of the sound can rattle surrounding buildings and moderately stun kaiju.

- Amphibious; excellent swimmer and perfectly at home in both fresh or salt water.

- If sufficiently enraged, enters a Battle Mode like some of her fellow kaiju. This increases general strength and ferocity, doubles leaping range, equips tip of tongue with spiked club (hard plates protect inside of Kroaken's mouth), increases sonic croak power to something capable of bowling a kaiju off its feet, and most importantly, allows blue beams of pure kinetic energy to be emitted from brow ridges, powerful enough to punch through a mountain or send most kaiju sprawling.

- Asexual reproduction. Lays large numbers of eggs in water, protected by surprisingly durable masses of gelatinous material. Kroaken will protect these eggs to the death. Eggs hatch within a few days, releasing human-sized tadpoles that are already self-sufficient, dangerous predators comparable to sharks. Parental care ends here; tadpoles disperse and metamorphose into adult form within a few weeks. (Or so; I'll have to see what kind of timeframe is actually practical when the time comes.)

Weaknesses: Doesn't do well outside of water for long periods, and must hydrate frequently to avoid drying out. Capable of substantial bursts of activity, but tires fairly quickly; Battle Mode burns through energy very quickly, and can't be sustained for more than a few minutes.
I still wish that game hadn't fizzled out before it ever really got anywhere...
Nice concept :)

Do you think a frog kaiju would be a predator to kumonga, kamacarus, the praying mantis's, mothra, megaguirus, and the dragonflies from the rodan movie?

And would its tadpoles attack humans?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Kumonga has the size and power to hold his own as a fellow apex predator, so he would be more of a rival than a prey item. Otherwise, yeah, small and weak kaiju would have to watch their backs.

And yes, the tadpoles would absolutely be sharklike predators of humans and anything similarly sized.