Anime Trilogy: what went wrong?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
godjacob
Futurian

Re: Anime Trilogy: what went wrong?

Post by godjacob »

What went wrong? I'll tell you what went wrong. The anime trilogy had such an inflated ego about its "deep" and "mature" story, its detailed lore that it forgot the tiny little detail of making characters one could actually care about or putting anything worth entertainment on screen. The entire series to me just reeked of a "better than this" mindset, like it was almost ashamed to be a Kaiju series which just came off as condescending especially when the end product ends up being the letdown it was.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

"Characters one could actually care about" isn't a flaw, though, as that's not always the primary purpose of characters in a work of fiction. Good or bad, likable or otherwise, most lead characters are designed to drive their respective narratives; they make decisions that impact the course of the story and which provide drama for other characters to react or respond to. As I recall, Haruo serves that purpose here, at least in the first film. (Can't really recall too much about films 2 and 3, which I only watched once in a marathon more than two years ago, just to get them out of the way.)

And I'm not defending these movies, which I'd rank as three of the five least entertaining Godzilla movies. I'm just providing a counter to the very subjective complaint that Haruo is a bad character because he's not appealing.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

godjacob wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:31 am What went wrong? I'll tell you what went wrong. The anime trilogy had such an inflated ego about its "deep" and "mature" story, its detailed lore that it forgot the tiny little detail of making characters one could actually care about or putting anything worth entertainment on screen. The entire series to me just reeked of a "better than this" mindset, like it was almost ashamed to be a Kaiju series which just came off as condescending especially when the end product ends up being the letdown it was.
The writers got so stuck up in stroking their egos by making the story “complex” and “mature” that they didn’t bother to make the story itself good.