SP Season 2 Speculation Thread: Full Spoilers Ahead

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Godzilla: Singular Point... Season 2? What Would You Want To See?

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:06 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:45 amIt didn't know if it wanted to be childish, or be a wild epic.

Don't get me wrong I loved Baby Tawk Jaguar and The Boss, but the little virtual cat/dog was such an oddity to jump to after seeing Godzilla annihilate the city.
That's not an uncommon trope in anime though. I don't think it's indicative of identity crisis, it's just a familiar form of comic relief in that genre, just like Pen Pen in NGE.
Yeah I should've worded it a bit differently, it just feels like a bit of tonal whiplash for me. A lot of it works, and I've even grown to enjoy the AI.

But it's hard to fully comprehend the casualties of Godzilla's wrath when they flip back and forth between him and the cute catdog snorkeling for info on the future. I prefer it when anime humor happens during the more relaxed moments. Like in Naruto or Attack on Titan. It feels more natural that way.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: SP Season 2 Speculation Thread: Full Spoilers Ahead

Post by cloverfan98 »

I want Godzilla to actually have an impact on the story and the character's and I want him to be the biggest threat in the series. It's hard for me to be worried about Godzilla leveling Tokyo when a singular point is about to consume all of reality.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

cloverfan98 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:04 pm I want Godzilla to actually have an impact on the story and the character's and I want him to be the biggest threat in the series. It's hard for me to be worried about Godzilla leveling Tokyo when a singular point is about to consume all of reality.
Godzilla was a singular point, or at least the physical manifestation in our 3d reality of a singular point. I've forgotten where that was said, but I think I remember Yun saying Godzilla was a singular point.

Edit:
As I've rewatched, I think Yun, Habero, Mei, and Dr. Li all say at some point that Godzilla is a singular point.
Last edited by JessIAm on Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

cloverfan98 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:04 pm I want Godzilla to actually have an impact on the story and the character's and I want him to be the biggest threat in the series. It's hard for me to be worried about Godzilla leveling Tokyo when a singular point is about to consume all of reality.
He WAS the singular point

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:59 pm
A friend of mine had this same problem that had to be explained to them and I thought it was a issue the subtitles didn't explain but fucking rewatching the show (watched the subs) and Mei straight up says "Godzilla is a Singular Point?" when talking to Li in episode 9.

Added in 21 seconds:
Not to mention it's the NAME of the SHOW.

RIP Evan.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I'm wondering if we'll get Baraguirus, the idea of a kaiju that looks like Baragon/Anguirus combined from scrapped Heisei era. Might as well go full shameless on the design concepts.
..oh we're probably gonna get a new Anguirus just to be killed by Mechagodzilla, aren't we?

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Im kinda surprised a season two hasn’t been announced.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cookson wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:46 am Im kinda surprised a season two hasn’t been announced.
Godzilla vs Kong just got released in Japanese theaters, and currently there’s a lot of focus on the Olympics and Corona in japan. I imagine Toho won’t want to compete with their own property, and they-like other companies right now, don’t want to plan or reveal things too far ahead.

If I had to wager, Godzilla SP Season 2 will get announced in early November to coincide with G-Fes and similar events.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:18 am Godzilla vs Kong just got released in Japanese theaters, and currently there’s a lot of focus on the Olympics and Corona in japan. I imagine Toho won’t want to compete with their own property, and they-like other companies right now, don’t want to plan or reveal things too far ahead.

If I had to wager, Godzilla SP Season 2 will get announced in early November to coincide with G-Fes and similar events.
That's possible. The studios involved (Bones and Orange) also have a bunch of other projects currently on their plates, so I wouldn't be surprised if that factored into the whole thing as well.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

JessIAm
Samurai

Re: Godzilla: Singular Point... Season 2? What Would You Want To See?

Post by JessIAm »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:23 am
Terasawa wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:06 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:45 amIt didn't know if it wanted to be childish, or be a wild epic.

Don't get me wrong I loved Baby Tawk Jaguar and The Boss, but the little virtual cat/dog was such an oddity to jump to after seeing Godzilla annihilate the city.
That's not an uncommon trope in anime though. I don't think it's indicative of identity crisis, it's just a familiar form of comic relief in that genre, just like Pen Pen in NGE.
Yeah I should've worded it a bit differently, it just feels like a bit of tonal whiplash for me. A lot of it works, and I've even grown to enjoy the AI.

But it's hard to fully comprehend the casualties of Godzilla's wrath when they flip back and forth between him and the cute catdog snorkeling for info on the future. I prefer it when anime humor happens during the more relaxed moments. Like in Naruto or Attack on Titan. It feels more natural that way.
I took it as an indication of just how important it was that Pelo II was doing the calculations.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I really hope JJ returns for Season 2. It just wouldn’t be the same without ‘em.

I want to see JJ duke it out with Robogodzilla, damnit! :mad:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

For half a second I thought you meant Abrams, and all I could think is, "Is this some Star Trek Kelvin timeline joke I'm not getting?!" :lol:

EDIT: But yes, I really hope Jet comes back in some way. I hope we get a good amount of the cast back I thought they were all pretty good characters, and I absolutely count Jet Jaguar/Jet Jaguar PP (if you consider him a separate character or not is up for debate) and Pelops II some of the best characters.
Last edited by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:33 am But yes, I really hope Jet comes back in some way. I hope we get a good amount of the cast back I thought they were all pretty good characters, and I absolutely count Jet Jaguar/Jet Jaguar PP (if you consider him a separate character or not is up for debate) and Pelops II some of the best characters.
In the final scene showing Mei Kamino, a Pelops III is standing next to her.

I'd like to see an evil Yungu controlling Mecha Godzilla! Yungu is the AI Yun wrote and released multiple instances to the Internet, and loaded another copy into Jet Jaguar.
Last edited by JessIAm on Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

I recently finished Godzilla: Singular Point and enjoyed it. I think the universe has a lot of potential for growth and I hope a second season gets announced. In particular, I liked how a lot of references to traditional Godzilla media were made and how the show "remixed" a lot of classic kaiju in interesting ways.

Given that Godzilla has already been presented (and defeated) as a world-ending threat, and the relatively light-hearted tone of the series, I think it's pretty likely that Godzilla will be turned into a hero in later seasons. With the emphasis on "controlled evolution", I think it'd be cool if Godzilla recognizes his inability to destroy humanity when he next reincarnates himself, and instead chooses to evolve into a creature with a symbiotic relationship with humanity, defending humanity from outside threats for his own benefit. Since Godzilla progressed through multiple forms, it might be cool if this new, friendlier Godzilla started out in a Minilla/Little Godzilla-esque form, and had to be protected by the protagonists/Jet Jaguar as he evolves into Godzilla Ultima again. Alternatively, with the implications of a multiverse, a Singular Point could instead generate a Showa-esque Godzilla from another universe.

I think Biollante has a lot of potential in the show's setting. You could say the groundwork has already been laid with the Red Dust-dependent plant life in the final episodes, and build off that concept in future seasons.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ghidorah in some form, but I don't want him to be the final threat of the show's run- I like how this setting has veered away from religiously sticking to the "Big 5" and instead brought back more niche kaiju. I like the idea that Spacegodzilla could be the show's final adversary, building off the crystalized form of red dust seen in the wake of the Orthagonal Diagonalizer. For Ghidorah, I think this is the right moment to bring back the Futurians, seeing as the show has already dabbled in time travel. As this show's take on the "alien invasion" plot, they arrive in a time machine built around a Singular Point, seeking to cause the creation of Ghidorah in our present because they worship him as a god in their desolate future. Maybe the plot is centered around preventing the creation/summoning of Ghidorah rather than fighting him directly? I think there's a lot of interesting potential there.

I think it'd also be cool if Spacegodzilla was instead a hyper-evolved Godzilla. Maybe if Godzilla evolves into a "friendlier" form to compensate for his defeat in Season 1, in another timeline Godzilla bounces back from his defeat by evolving to become even more hostile, incorporating the Orthagonal Diagonalizer into his DNA (Destoroyah vibes?) and becoming Spacegodzilla. He destroys his own universe, then crosses into ours to finish the job, and is opposed by our universe's version of Godzilla.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D
naw man, I can see murder in his eyes dude. I swear!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:59 pm
Wasn't the computer in India the singular point that was unraveling reality hence the time and space distoritions around it?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

cloverfan98 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:21 pm Wasn't the computer in India the singular point that was unraveling reality hence the time and space distoritions around it?
No, i'm pretty sure that was Godzilla literally becoming so powerful the universe legit could not handle it, and the Indian computer was trying to be the thing to stop him.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:44 pm
cloverfan98 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:21 pm Wasn't the computer in India the singular point that was unraveling reality hence the time and space distoritions around it?
No, i'm pretty sure that was Godzilla literally becoming so powerful the universe legit could not handle it, and the Indian computer was trying to be the thing to stop him.
They were both singular points. Godzilla was becoming one and Salungs was trying to take the one in India.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Im pretty sure with the way the pandemic is going we’ll be getting more anime Godzilla relatively soon. Much safer to do animated stuff then live action. I’d say that’s good news for a season 2 of SP. Hell I wouldn’t mind if they announced that along with a new anime movie. I just feel live action is on the back burner for now.

Side note… Got volume 1 of SP on blu ray. Completist in me has to get them.
Last edited by Cookson on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Cookson wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:15 am Im pretty sure with the way the pandemic is going we’ll be getting more anime Godzilla relatively soon. Much safer to do animated stuff then live action. I’d say that’s good news for a season 2 of SP. Hell I wouldn’t mind if they announced that along with a new anime movie. I just feel live action is on the back burner for now.

Side note… Got volume 1 of SP on blu ray. Completist in me has to get them.
Both Legendary and Toho could get live action movies out by 2024 unless the pandemic gets much worse. Legendary would need to start in 2022 and Toho I'm sure could start in early 2023 and have a good movie ready by late 2024.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

Cookson wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:15 am Side note… Got volume 1 of SP on blu ray. Completist in me has to get them.
YAY! Does this include the English dub? Does it have commentary? I'm looking forward to delving into the minds of the creators!