Will Toho ever make another DAM-type film?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Will Toho ever make another DAM-type film?

Post by LegendZilla »

Hey guys, LegendZilla here.

Twice in the past has Toho decided to go all out and produce ensemble kaiju films, namely Destroy All Monsters in 1968 and Final Wars in 2004. Both films are an often mixed bag in terms of overall reception in the fandom, with the latter being downright polarizing. Various factors do indeed hinder both films from being the ideal kaiju experience that they aspired to be. Now that were are getting close to a full 20 years with Final Wars, that makes me wonder : how long do you think it will take before Toho decides to continue the seemingly once-in-every generation all-star extravaganza of Toho's iconic creatures?

What do you think it would take for such a film to be objectively good? I think it would make sense for it to be split into two parts like many blockbusters nowadays. That way you could give more time to flesh out the human cast and it could also benefit the kaiju as well as it can give each one a good amount of screen time. Lastly, what kaiju should be included and what locations around the world do you think they should visit? Keep in mind that it won't be possible. DAM had a total of 11 Monsters and FW has 14 (not counting stock footage). So let's settle on 18 kaiju. My choices include :

1. Godzilla
2. Anguirus
3. Rodan
4. Varan
5. Mothra
6. Kong (or one of the Gargantuas as a substitute)
7. King Ghidorah (or Mecha-Ghidorah)
8. Baragon
9. Gorosaurus
10. Gezora
11. Megalon
12. Jet Jaguar
13. MechaGodzilla
14. Titanosaurus
15. Biollante
16. Battra
17. An offspring or two of Godzilla (As long as it's not Minya)
18. Bagan (or Destroyah for those of you who think Bagan should remain on the cutting room floor) as the Endgame-style final boss

Locations I think would be should be included are :

Tokyo (of course)
New York
Paris
Moscow
Rome
Rio de Janeiro
Bangkok
Cairo
Nairobi
Anywhere in New Zealand
Mt.Fuji
Osaka (Sight of the final battle)

Anyways, do you think I've provided solid ideas? If it were a two part, I think that Ghidorah should be the big bad of the first half, whereas Destoroyah will be the same for part II. My reasoning for Osaka being the site of the final battle is based on the fact that DAM had the foot of Mt Fuji as its climax, whereas FW had a meteorite-demolished Tokyo. So I just thought to keep it a tradition to have the final battle required to take place at least somewhere in Japan. Lastly, what kaiju should attack which city?

Now we get to the invaders. Like its predecessors it will no doubt have a race of aliens who come to Earth to utilize its population of monsters via mind control. Or as an alternative, perhaps the antagonists could be one of those lost civilizations of humans who reside underwater as sometimes seen in the Showa era. Examples include Mu, Latitude Zero and Seatopia. Maybe the people of said civilization will be adept in psychic powers and put the to good use as an alterative to mind-control tech. Just thinking. As for the civilization itself, should it be one of the pre-existing ones from Toho's library, or a whole new one? Preferably, I'd pick a new one, namely Zealandia. For those of you who don't know, Zealandia is an alleged submerged landmass of which New Zealand is all that remains. Like Monster Zero's Glenn And Namikawa decades ago, I would not mind seeing a romance between a person from Zealandia and the surface world as part of the plot.

Another interesting plot point I could have is like New Zealand, Monster Island (or at least the film continuity’s equivalent of it) could be a remnant of the Submerged continent and in ancient times, the Zealandians harness their psychic powers to control Kaiju as a mean to weaponize them in times of war. They see all the world’s Kaiju as rightfully their property, which could add another plot arc in the film, that being the ethics of mind-control.

Anyways, that's all I have for this post. Tell me your own ideas. ;)
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Re: Will Toho ever make another DAM-type film?

Post by darthzilla99 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:17 pm Hey guys, LegendZilla here.

Twice in the past has Toho decided to go all out and produce ensemble kaiju films, namely Destroy All Monsters in 1968 and Final Wars in 2004. Both films are an often mixed bag in terms of overall reception in the fandom, with the latter being downright polarizing. Various factors do indeed hinder both films from being the ideal kaiju experience that they aspired to be. Now that were are getting close to a full 20 years with Final Wars, that makes me wonder : how long do you think it will take before Toho decides to continue the seemingly once-in-every generation all-star extravaganza of Toho's iconic creatures?

To be fair to DAM, the mixed reception has been a relatively recent trend and is mostly the American fanbase (DAM still ranks in the top ten for Japanese polls). Up until the early 2000s, DAM was one of the most beloved films in the franchise. It also helped it's repudiation by the fact ADV was the first us company to release it on VHS in 1998, so either fans got nostalgic from seeing it on TV or those that didn't always heard about this mysterious all out monster extravaganza of a movie.

It's repudiation started to change during the time between GFW and the Legendary movies because you had alot of younger fans that grew up having easy access to DAM and no new Godzilla movies for several years so lots of people had time reviewing the movies.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I feel like they would do it for a special occasion. Maybe like for Godzilla’s or Toho’s next anniversary. If they balance the budget well, I can see it doing good financially.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

We should probably add another kaiju rally to that list: "Monster War" Parts 1, 2 and 3 from Godzilla: The Series in 1998, the 30th anniversary of DAM, which was done as a tribute to it.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:43 pm We should probably add another kaiju rally to that list: "Monster War" Parts 1, 2 and 3 from Godzilla: The Series in 1998, the 30th anniversary of DAM, which was done as a tribute to it.
Yeah, but that was a TV show, not a feature film.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:03 pm
mikelcho wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:43 pm We should probably add another kaiju rally to that list: "Monster War" Parts 1, 2 and 3 from Godzilla: The Series in 1998, the 30th anniversary of DAM, which was done as a tribute to it.
I know, I just wanted to put it out there for completion's sake.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:31 pm
Regardless, what is your own pitch for a hypothetical DAM-type film?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:31 pm
mikelcho wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:31 pm

I'd do four major things.

First, I'd make sure that Baragon, not Gorosaurus, destroyed Paris.

Second, I'd make sure Gorosaurus had his original roar from King Kong Escapes instead of Baragon's (as he did in DAM).

Third, I'd have the newscaster at least mention more monsters and cities. These would be Minilla destroying New Delhi, Anguirus either Los Angeles or San Francisco (I still can't decide which one), Kumonga Chicago, Varan Rome and Gorosaurus Berlin. I'd also have Godzilla destroy Washington, D.C., not New York, NY.

Fourth, I'd make sure Manda, Varan and Baragon took part in the fight.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:35 am
mikelcho wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:31 pm I know, I just wanted to put it out there for completion's sake.

Second, I'd make sure Gorosaurus had his original roar from King Kong Escapes instead of Baragon's (as he did in DAM).

Third, I'd have the newscaster at least mention more monsters and cities. These would be Minilla destroying New Delhi, Anguirus either Los Angeles or San Francisco (I still can't decide which one), Kumonga Chicago, Varan Rome and Gorosaurus Berlin. I'd also have Godzilla destroy Washington, D.C., not New York, NY.

This is not a thread discussing how you would re-write the 1968 film. To be more specific, my intention is to discuss an entirely new film in the same mold as DAM or GFW.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:27 am
mikelcho wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:35 am

This is not a thread discussing how you would re-write the 1968 film. To be more specific, my intention is to discuss an entirely new film in the same mold as DAM or GFW.
Sorry about that.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Here's my thought - it won't be soon. Why? Because it's too early. Sure, it's been an age since so many monsters were in the same film yeah, but Toho's only had ONE live action film since, and it featured only Godzilla himself. There's been the anime trilogy and the anime series, but I'm not sure we can count those for "how many movies do you need before the mega crossover?" we should be asking. Think about it, DAM happened towards the latter half of the Showa era - Final Wars at the end of the Millennium. Sure, it didn't use the other Millennium kaiju as all the films of that era had their own continuity, but it was still the tail end of an era after several movies - and that era was hot on the heels of the Heisei films. I honestly wouldn't expect another big all the monsters smack down again until we're a good five or six live action Reiwa era movies in.

Added in 9 minutes 12 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:17 pm15. Biollante
While I admit I'm not a huge fan of this movie, I realize its special place among most fans - including Biollante as one of many monsters in an epic brawl I think would seem cheap. Biollante should be saved for her own vs movie with Godzilla. Possibly even her own solo. Heck, I could see her working in a movie with Mothra pretty easy. But yeah, I'd say one of the few kaiju that should avoid sharing the spotlight with so many others in a DAM type film.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

The ultimate answer, I think is, does Toho think they will make money on a DAM style Kaiju fight fest. To that end, I'm going to see every Toho backed film, and anime that I can.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:39 am Here's my thought - it won't be soon. Why? Because it's too early. Sure, it's been an age since so many monsters were in the same film yeah, but Toho's only had ONE live action film since, and it featured only Godzilla himself. There's been the anime trilogy and the anime series, but I'm not sure we can count those for "how many movies do you need before the mega crossover?" we should be asking. Think about it, DAM happened towards the latter half of the Showa era - Final Wars at the end of the Millennium. Sure, it didn't use the other Millennium kaiju as all the films of that era had their own continuity, but it was still the tail end of an era after several movies - and that era was hot on the heels of the Heisei films. I honestly wouldn't expect another big all the monsters smack down again until we're a good five or six live action Reiwa era movies in.
Did I say Toho should rush a DAM-type film within the next few years? Of course not, now's too early. My point is if any of you people would be okay if it happened in our lifetime, like 10-ish years from now.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:13 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:39 am Here's my thought - it won't be soon. Why? Because it's too early. Sure, it's been an age since so many monsters were in the same film yeah, but Toho's only had ONE live action film since, and it featured only Godzilla himself. There's been the anime trilogy and the anime series, but I'm not sure we can count those for "how many movies do you need before the mega crossover?" we should be asking. Think about it, DAM happened towards the latter half of the Showa era - Final Wars at the end of the Millennium. Sure, it didn't use the other Millennium kaiju as all the films of that era had their own continuity, but it was still the tail end of an era after several movies - and that era was hot on the heels of the Heisei films. I honestly wouldn't expect another big all the monsters smack down again until we're a good five or six live action Reiwa era movies in.
Did I say Toho should rush a DAM-type film within the next few years? Of course not, now's too early. My point is if any of you people would be okay if it happened in our lifetime, like 10-ish years from now.
Well, that would depend entirely on how many, and what sort, of films Toho releases between now and then. If we get a few good movies with a few good monsters, then I'd be all for it. If we don't, then I'd probably prefer a more focused vs or even solo film. Can't really venture to say where we'll be in Toho's Godzilla content 10 years from now - I certainly didn't predict Shin or the anime projects 10 years ago. All I can say is I'm not against a DAM type movie happening again at some point, just that I want it to fit more naturally in place among the films preceding and succeeding it than to fit a specific time frame. But hopefully, whether it's a solo film, a vs film, a follow up to Shin, an original reboot, or yes a DAM style film, I hope Toho makes another live action Godzilla sooner rather than later - it's been a long 5 years.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Short answer yes, eventually there will be another DAM style movie.

But in the end most DAM style films are going to disappointing for many fans as 3/4th of the kaiju appearing are going to be no more then brief cameos or quick beatdowns. It is like the Kamen Rider or Ultraman films where the marquee stars get most of the screen time and action, the other show up briefly to pose and help a bit, but the focus is off them as quickly as they appeared.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

szmigiel wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:32 am Short answer yes, eventually there will be another DAM style movie.

But in the end most DAM style films are going to disappointing for many fans as 3/4th of the kaiju appearing are going to be no more then brief cameos or quick beatdowns. It is like the Kamen Rider or Ultraman films where the marquee stars get most of the screen time and action, the other show up briefly to pose and help a bit, but the focus is off them as quickly as they appeared.
That's why I've come up with an idea that could help around such an issue : Making said DAM-type film a two-parter.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

That runs counter to the way Toho likes to run things, which is green lighting a film in January and having a end project ready by December, then check the reception and decide if they are going to do the cycle all over again. Hopefully if Toho does plan a new run of Kaiju films in the future they will look at other successful Tokusatsu franchises and learn some lessons on planning things out more in advance. Having a road map of what they want to do, and help build the brand and the mythology for the long term. Much like how Tsuburaya Productions has done with The New Generation Ultraman. Or Toei with Kamen Rider where crossover movies feature more then just the current show and the previous show, but will often have cast and riders for several shows interacting.

Never say never, I thought I would never see a Godzilla movie that would rival the themes in the 1st movie, and got Shin Godzilla. I also never thought Kong and Godzilla would ever be in the same movie again, so things do change, it just often takes time.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Sure the Live action Attack on Titan movies may've not been the best, but they're a sign that Toho is willing to practice doing a two-part giant monster film.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:35 pm ^Sure the Live action Attack on Titan movies may've not been the best, but they're a sign that Toho is willing to practice doing a two-part giant monster film.
I don't think the AoT films are indicative of anything Toho may eventually do when back in the Godzilla business.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Eventually yes, however I don’t see them doing with without doing a shared universe