Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Re: Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Andagi1 »

Could anyone offer insight to a smooth-brained simpleton such as my self as to how Singular Point's characters are compelling? Having completed the series, I was generally unimpressed by its characterization. I personally feel that the main cast had fairly superficial personalities, lacking meaningful development beyond reacting to new plot developments to advance the story. This is more of a general take on the show, so I can't cite any specific examples right now. Am I alone in this sentiment? I am by no means the erudite cinephile many others on TK and the wider community are, so I feel that my opinions may be invalid rather than an instance of subjective taste. What did I miss? Should I watch the dub?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Andagi1 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:45 am Could anyone offer insight to a smooth-brained simpleton such as my self as to how Singular Point's characters are compelling? Having completed the series, I was generally unimpressed by its characterization. I personally feel that the main cast had fairly superficial personalities, lacking meaningful development beyond reacting to new plot developments to advance the story. This is more of a general take on the show, so I can't cite any specific examples right now. Am I alone in this sentiment? I am by no means the erudite cinephile many others on TK and the wider community are, so I feel that my opinions may be invalid rather than an instance of subjective taste. What did I miss? Should I watch the dub?
I've only seen the sub and yeah, there's barely character development. They're more just colorful cutout personalities to move the plot forward.

Added in 1 minute 15 seconds:
Desghidorah wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:36 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:34 am No new episode this week. Trying to find ways to cope.
We're in a new Golden Age of Godzilla content. In a year or two, something else will come. In the meantime, we got more comics inbound, SP is almost certainly getting a 2nd season, World of Godzilla incoming, and more. :)
World of Godzilla is not a new film series or cinematic universe. It is an ongoing narketing campaign that has been in affect for a few years.

donaldino
Yojimbo

Post by donaldino »

I watched Ep. 1 on Netflix this morning and loved it! My favourite characters so far are Mei and Goro. I love how they briefly explained Goro's backstory, how he used to be a conspiracy theorist and maybe still is. My favourite parts were Mei installing her AI onto her computer, when the winged-monster arrives, and the end credits sequence.
Last edited by donaldino on Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

My immediate thoughts -

Episodes 1-12 - This better lead to something cool.
Episode 13 - You crazy motherfuckers.

Some reflection -

This is basically Jet Jaguar: Singular Point, with the last half of the last episode somehow having the most exciting stuff in it. I want to say I liked it more than I did and give it the official JJ thumps up, but I can't. I also can't say if I liked it more or less than the AniGoji trilogy, which is saying something. SP at least gets points for not going over Mothra, Ghidorah and Mecha-G again (well, sort of).

So while not a glowing endorsement, it was nice seeing a more colorful, oddball take on Godzilla, even if I can't say I was entirely satisfied by it (or even hyped for another season [if that happens at all]).

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Finally finished Singular Point and... Together alone might be some of the best anime I've seen.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JNewbold54
GPN Volunteer

Post by JNewbold54 »

With the Anime now out on Netflix outside Japan, I've taken the opportunity to watch the dubbed version. It's pretty decent, it was definitely a lot easier to take in what people were saying during the science bits. I checked the voice cast list to see if there was anyone I recognized.

So far, I've spotted two Power Rangers Alumni, with Johnny Yong Bosch (Adam Park) as Yun Arikawa and Barbara Goodson (The voice of Rita Repulsa) as Tilda Mira. In addition, Jet Jaguar was voiced by Kira Buckland, who voiced 2B in Nier: Automata, and Pero 2 was voiced by Cassandra Lee Morris, who played Kyubey in Madoka Magica.

In addition, someone has found a clean version of Godzilla Ultima's theme from the end of episode 10:

BennettCommando
Monarch Researcher

Post by BennettCommando »

A Japanese fan on Twitter tried to decode the
the unknown words shown on the monitor in the post credit scene.

This is what he got so far:

Original Post:
https://twitter.com/foxy_kitsune/status ... 000406018

Looks like the Mechagodzilla was called Robogodzilla (ロボゴジラ) and the codes have Showa and Millennium references.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

BennettCommando wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:35 pm
Spoiler:

Original Post:

Looks like the Mechagodzilla was called Robogodzilla (ロボゴジラ) and the codes have Showa and Millennium references.
Robozilla is cool. I imagine it'll be the same thing as "Kiryu"; just a way to distinguish various incarnations of Mecha-Godzilla.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Yo, Toho, Bones, Orange, y'all got any more of this show in the pipeline?

Also I'm fairly certain those shadow flames on the giant Rodan were also present on JJ when they became gigantic.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

BennettCommando
Monarch Researcher

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:06 pm
Spoiler:

Original Post:

Robozilla is cool. I imagine it'll be the same thing as "Kiryu"; just a way to distinguish various incarnations of Mecha-Godzilla.
Although being a coincidence at best, but I can't help thinking that the name of this incarnation, is a callback to GVK.
In the film,when team Godzilla met Mechagodzilla for the first time. Bernie said “That...... That's a Robot Godzilla”. While the SP Mechagodzilla, although having a rather classical appearance, was called Robogodzilla in-universe, and the name itself is a combination of robot and Godzilla.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

BennettCommando wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:43 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:06 pm
Spoiler:

Original Post:

Although being a coincidence at best, but I can't help thinking that the name of this incarnation, is a callback to GVK.
In the film,when team Godzilla met Mechagodzilla for the first time. Bernie said “That...... That's a Robot Godzilla”. While the SP Mechagodzilla, although having a rather classical appearance, was called Robogodzilla in-universe, and the name itself is a combination of robot and Godzilla.
Could be, but let's remember that "Robo/Robot" is a really generic term, and Robot Godzilla isn't exactly an original, IIRC some prior unused/alternate names in dubbing for MG were Robot Godzilla or the likes.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

I prefer "Robo Godzilla". It sounds classic. :lol:

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

BennettCommando wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:35 pm A Japanese fan on Twitter tried to decode the

Original Post:

Neat catches!

I wonder what kinda powers Robogodzilla is gonna have. It’s obvious there’s gonna be a “atomic breath”-esq attack judging by that device in Robo’d mouth and also stuff like the finger, feet, and knee missiles…but there’s gotta be something else, right?
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

BennettCommando
Monarch Researcher

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:02 pm
BennettCommando wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:35 pm A Japanese fan on Twitter tried to decode the

Original Post:

Neat catches!

I wonder what kinda powers Robogodzilla is gonna have. It’s obvious there’s gonna be a “atomic breath”-esq attack judging by that device in Robo’d mouth and also stuff like the finger, feet, and knee missiles…but there’s gotta be something else, right?
https://metagross-armor.hatenablog.com/ ... 24/225611

This blog contains full decoded Robogodzilla graph:

It does have a beam weapon,claw, and rams on its knees.

Some of its parts were manufactured by “Third Planet Company” in 1975, while other parts were manufactured by “Black Hole Company” in 2002.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Singular Point: Sci-Fi plot points related to material and crystal structures
Me: Going to school studying material sciences

He Jock it Made of Steel

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

That's definitely a cool Mechagodzilla.

Some more thoughts -

There's lots of technobabble repeated throughout but with an excitable, diverse cast with strong, colorful character designs it definitely comes across better than the anime trilogy where just about every character (even the alien races) are wearing the same white spacesuit costume.

I thought it was really clever and cute to have Jet Jaguar, a character originally designed/suggested by Godzilla's child audience, to take on a developing child-like AI personality throughout the series - this is very much his show.

It was nice to see a version of the Oxygen Destroyer (well, Orthogonal Diagonalizer - there's that technobabble) depicted with a bit more thought and care than the MonsterVerse version.

Also interesting how both anime versions so far have featured their own versions of time travel.

Dust Errant
Samurai

Post by Dust Errant »

Andagi1 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:45 am Could anyone offer insight to a smooth-brained simpleton such as my self as to how Singular Point's characters are compelling? Having completed the series, I was generally unimpressed by its characterization. I personally feel that the main cast had fairly superficial personalities, lacking meaningful development beyond reacting to new plot developments to advance the story. This is more of a general take on the show, so I can't cite any specific examples right now. Am I alone in this sentiment? I am by no means the erudite cinephile many others on TK and the wider community are, so I feel that my opinions may be invalid rather than an instance of subjective taste. What did I miss? Should I watch the dub?
They aren't that compelling. Godzilla: SP is clearly a more plot driven story than a character driven story. I personally like plot-driven stories, but I understand that many people prefer character driven stories.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Dust Errant wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:13 pm
They aren't that compelling. Godzilla: SP is clearly a more plot driven story than a character driven story. I personally like plot-driven stories, but I understand that many people prefer character driven stories.
A Plot driven narrative doesn't mean that they are inherently bad characters. It's true that the series isn't a character drama, but I'm unclear what anyone was expecting.

I disagree hard. I'll elaborate later, with specific details, but all the characters are oozing with personality, not just in terms of what they say, but how they're animated and what they do. I also feel a lot of "there's no characters" is ignoring that JJ and Pelops 2, two characters with extreme development probably aren't being listed or counted as "characters" in people's minds.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JNewbold54
GPN Volunteer

Post by JNewbold54 »

While rewatching the series, I took an opportunity to take a closer look at the part where Mei flashes back to the immediate aftermath of Professor Li's death, and can confirm that it was not completely pointless, as she did manage to save the cat, which can be seen in the background being held by its owner.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'm on episode 8, and while I appreciate all the references, it feels a bit clusterfudge-y. Like they're just stating fancy quantum algorithms without much visual evidence for the creatures themselves.

Added in 1 minute 52 seconds:
Like ah yes of course!!! We can control the archetypes by flipping them within hyperspace with the Orthogonal Diagonalizer!!! Time Refraction!!
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira