Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Spuro wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:34 am
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:59 am
Spuro wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:46 am

Uh... no they didn't.
Yes they did lmao
not our problem you couldn't tell manda from ebirah somehow
If you want to revise history like that and pretend their was no speculation as to Manda’s identity back when the first trailer was released, then sure, be my guest.
Strawman

But sure, believe i'm "revising history" if that helps you
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I do recall based on the first few trailers a lot of people speculated a lot of different monsters.

-There was indeed a heated discussion over whether Godzilla Aquatalis was Titanosaurus or not. One member was pretty adamant that it wasn't Titano, and they would up being right, but it quickly became a situation where it was very clear that the monster and the subsequent forms were intentional references to the monsters so one could be forgiven for thinking it was Titano. That member does sort of deserve an apology for us, myself included, lambasting them so hard.

-When the bug monsters were unveiled many people were discussing whether they were Kumonga or Megalon, but this conversation quickly shifted into agreement that these were alamagatmations of other monsters, like Gigan and Kamacuras as well, and there was little controversy. Some, myself included, analyzed the shot of "Hedorah" far too much and assumed there was something going on with Dogora/Orga as well. We don't have enough information, but confusion of this wasn't controversial or a big debate, rather just kind speculation.

-Regarding Manda: One member, King Kaiju 42, posted about possibly seeing Ebirah in the trailers based on one of Manda's forelimbs. Admittedly it did look claw like. However, I do not recall anyone seriously ever thinking it was Ebirah, and the majority of people instantly assumed it was Manda based on the long serpentine body. The idea that people were having heated debates or seriously mixed up Manda with Ebirah never happened, and even if it did I don't understand how this would be a criticism of the series, considering it was based off of a brief shot.

A Brief History of Manda

Manda was definitely "Manda" in the Godzilla Singular Point. It's sad to say this, but Manda has always been a fodder Kaiju. Manda originally appeared in Atragon as a brief obstacle to the titular ship, that is quickly dealt with and disposed of. This Manda was thrown in the film to have a monster.

Then in Destroy All Monsters, Manda had it's arguably most substantial role. It appeared as one of the monsters that attacks Tokyo, and was shown off in full scale. However, in comparison to some of the other monsters in the film (Godzilla, Anguirus, Gorosaurus, Rodan etc...) it plays second fiddle and barely shows up in the climax. Manda would appear as stock footage twice again in the Showa series, in Godzilla's Revenge and TOMG. Both appearances do little to elevate Manda.

Manda then appears in Godzilla Final Wars. It's a random undersea monster. While it has a really cool design, it only serves as fodder to show how powerful the Gotengo is. It's the only monster in the film that never interacts with Godzilla. It's a welcome appearance but doesn't do much in the long run.

From then on, Manda in comparison to other monsters hasn't had any major integration in the extended media. Unlike monsters like Megalon or Jet Jaguar, Manda hasn't had any serious or important roles in any extended Godzilla media. The most is that it appears in a few issues of Godzilla Rulers of Earth, alongside Titanosaurus and Gezora. While it gets his moments, it's treated inferior to Titano even then, and doesn't do much. Manda doesn't appear beyond cameos in any of the other Godzilla comics. Manda, unlike many other more obscure monsters like Varan, hasn't even had any big roles in video games. Manda also hasn't had many toys, beyond some small gashapons.

To be honest, Manda has had it's best role in Godzilla media to date in Godzilla Singular Point.

While we admittedly don't get many good looks at the creature, Manda has a few full scenes devoted to it, such as it capsizing the ship in the opening of episode 4, and the military brigade firing upon it in later episodes. They're an active presence throughout the series, even if not they are not the strongest. We can complain that Godzilla Aquatalis eating the Manda is a bit short, likewise for the Godzilla Ultima vs. The Manda, but both scenes are still pretty cool, and don't really disrespect an otherwise fodder Kaiju in any major way. And hey, at least Manda briefly took a big chunk out of Godzilla and made him bleed; that's not something many other monsters ever get to do. Manda got a major role in the show and a toy. It's something to be excited about. Additionally, based on what we see in episode 13 we can surmise that this is not the end of Manda. Similar to Godzilla, we may ultimately get a Manda Ultima. Being disappointed that we didn't see more of Manda is a valid complaint.

I get complaints about Rodan, but really, the whole "That's not Manda" thing really reeks to me.

Spuro and (KK42 if you're reading this) you're entitled to your opinions on Manda. But other members are right in asking for you to back up and explain your feelings more on Manda and the other monsters. Other members are right on saying that "It's Ebirah" was never a serious discussion, but they should also stop attacking you for this belief. As an aside, this is why I hate people having strong opinions prior to watching a series or movie. People become very defensive about maintaining that belief and feel the need to reenforce it in order to confirm with themselves.

Let us continue the conversation for the series as a whole, rather than what others may have speculated or debated prior to release.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

I recorded the commemoration stream event. There were no notable announcements outside of the second volume of SP's Blu-ray cover being of Jet Jaguar fighting the Kumongas, and Jet Jaguar Beta being added to Godzilla Battle Line. However, they did show two VFX Breakdowns. One of a shot of Godzilla Terrestris, and another of Ultima firing his atomic breath. Really cool stuff. They also showed some of the merchandise and announced the winners of the figure painting competition. Wish I knew Japanese so I could've gotten something out of the talking (since I imagine there's some really cool information about the show's production in that stream).

Last edited by EvaGhidorah01 on Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

eMJayHaych
Young Farmer

Post by eMJayHaych »

imposterzilla wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:35 pm What if G is just trapped under the blue crystals? Perhaps Ashihara is working with the aliens to subjugate humanity to save them from themselves and Godzilla becomes Gojira Subterraineous...ie: Baragon dig(aha!) to escape before morphing to Ultima again
Seeing as we know Godzilla has existed twice already in this world (what with the bones and Ultima), then perhaps Ultima actually was killed or banished or something else and the next Godzilla is gonna have to evolve up from Aquatilis again? Would be a great way to show off those earlier forms more!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:53 am I recorded the commemoration stream event. There were no notable announcements outside of the second volume of SP's Blu-ray cover being of Jet Jaguar fighting the Kumongas, and Jet Jaguar Beta being added to Godzilla Battle Line. However, they did show two VFX Breakdowns. One of a shot of Godzilla Terrestris, and another of Ultima firing his atomic breath. Really cool stuff. They also showed some of the merchandise and announced the winners of the figure painting competition. Wish I knew Japanese so I could've gotten something out of the talking (since I imagine there's some really cool information about the show's production in that stream).
[]https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... height=405[/]
[]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png[/]
Looks like they have the stream archived! Toho's been getting better about that, thankfully. The different breath effects they tried for Ultima was pretty cool. (About the 1 hour 13 minute mark for Terrestris/Ultima.)

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Think we will get announcement on G's bday. Any cool merch? I really want something with Salunga. I really think he will be back.
Last edited by imposterzilla on Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

If there is a season 2, I hope it explores like the aftermath. I want it to be like the lasting impact Godzilla had on the universe.

Game2021
Young Farmer

Post by Game2021 »

If there is to be a second season announcement, it likely won't be until after the show get its Western release next week.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don't see how you could see the cliffhanger, and some unanswered questions and think "nah there's no season 2". Most anime shows and things like that are usually planned in bunches like 26 episodes or what not. It's possible that this legally is just "one season" or in other words the amount of episodes ordered spread across two "seasons".

If by someone chance we don't get season 2, it'll go down as one of the all-time worst cliffhangers in fictional history, just behind Twin Peak's Season 2's ending.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Game2021
Young Farmer

Post by Game2021 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:48 pm I don't see how you could see the cliffhanger, and some unanswered questions and think "nah there's no season 2". Most anime shows and things like that are usually planned in bunches like 26 episodes or what not. It's possible that this legally is just "one season" or in other words the amount of episodes ordered spread across two "seasons".

If by someone chance we don't get season 2, it'll go down as one of the all-time worst cliffhangers in fictional history, just behind Twin Peak's Season 2's ending.
I'm sure some people may, like, use Toko S.O.S. as example of a cliffhanger that never got resolved, but to counter that, I say that the post-credit cliffhanger in that movie came out of nowhere with no buildup whatsoever, as if it was thrown in at the last second without an afterthought or a serious decision to make a direct sequel. Whereas in Singular Point, Mechagodzilla being built using the skeleton was actually built up previously when that journalist took the bones away from the warehouse, meaning the post-credit scene is something the producers were thinking about even before finish making the final episode and therefore has a meaning and not a throwaway like in Tokyo S.OS.

From this, it is almost guaranteed that there will be a second season.

Hope you get what I mean...

JNewbold54
GPN Volunteer

Post by JNewbold54 »

So, I've been rewatching episode one, and I had to stop and pause at the bit where Mei is going through the Otaki Factory website, and we come to the pictures of the staff. One in particular:

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

JNewbold54 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:25 am So, I've been rewatching episode one, and I had to stop and pause at the bit where Mei is going through the Otaki Factory website, and we come to the pictures of the staff. One in particular:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!! That's amazing :lol: :lol: :lol:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JNewbold54 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:25 am So, I've been rewatching episode one, and I had to stop and pause at the bit where Mei is going through the Otaki Factory website, and we come to the pictures of the staff. One in particular:

I saw that, really funny Easter egg. IRRC Satomo’s is funny too. Btw all the stuff in japanese just gives brief ideas what hey specialize and actually do.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Now, did I miss something in the series... Or was the actual appearance of the kaiju completely unknown? We know/were told they are directly related to the red dust, but the Rodans, Anguirus and Manda just appeared as the threats got larger and larger and larger.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:55 pm Now, did I miss something in the series... Or was the actual appearance of the kaiju completely unknown? We know/were told they are directly related to the red dust, but the Rodans, Anguirus and Manda just appeared as the threats got larger and larger and larger.
I assume that's something that'll be further explored in season 2. I'm assuming that they're coming from another dimension based on some dialogue by Kai, and that we'll eventually see that dimension.

The one vague monster origin we get is Sarunga. It's unclear, but it seems like the super calculator in Shiva created it, or somehow inadvertently released it. However, at the same time, we're then also told that Sarunga appeared in a nearby temple.

What we do know for certain is that this started with the Godzilla Bones releasing a frequency and Shiva's own experiments. The first episode is Ootaki crew tracking a mysterious frequency, and that's originating from the Godzilla Bones. We know that it's Ala Upa, the song, based on the transmission from the crystal radio. The first Rodan emerges shortly after. It's possible that Shiva and the Godzilla Bones were also communicating and that might have triggered the events.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:47 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:55 pm Now, did I miss something in the series... Or was the actual appearance of the kaiju completely unknown? We know/were told they are directly related to the red dust, but the Rodans, Anguirus and Manda just appeared as the threats got larger and larger and larger.
I assume that's something that'll be further explored in season 2. I'm assuming that they're coming from another dimension based on some dialogue by Kai, and that we'll eventually see that dimension.
And if we don't get SpaceGodzilla from that, I will be highly disappointed. I do wonder, if/when Season 2 is made, will it be as "sciencey" at this, or will be start to venture more into your typical genre tropes. As you said, alternate dimension travels, giant mechs (MechaGodzilla confirmed... Jet Jaguar too?), etc. With Godzilla established at this point, I don't see the need to keep him in the shadows of the story until the finale, so it'd seem multiple Godzilla appearances will be a given as well.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:34 am No new episode this week. Trying to find ways to cope.
Same. Well at the very least over the next few days the floodgates will open and a lot of people who have stayed out of figuring out a way to watch it will come through the floodgates. We'll get a more accurate idea of what everything thinks of it.

I don't like rating scales, but a week later I think season 1 gets a solid 7/10. I feel like there's really big highs that are brief, that are let down by some meandering. Love the characters, world building, and for the most part animation, as well as tone, but there's still more I want to see and know.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Here's an interesting interview with the writer and director of Godzilla S.P.: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interv ... nt/.173773

Some good insight into the production and ideas that formed the basis for the show.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:34 am No new episode this week. Trying to find ways to cope.
We're in a new Golden Age of Godzilla content. In a year or two, something else will come. In the meantime, we got more comics inbound, SP is almost certainly getting a 2nd season, World of Godzilla incoming, and more. :)