SP Season 2 Speculation Thread: Full Spoilers Ahead

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla: Singular Point... Season 2? What Would You Want To See?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^There’s loose implications that the SP world sets the ground work for all the Godzilla entries tangentially existing with one another. However, there’s no point and I’d actually be upset if it crosses over. Keeping it vague like that is a win win.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

Perhaps not a sequel, but a midquel? Monsters seem to be spread all around the world, another story taking place in another place could work.

Erimaki Anguirus
Ronin

Post by Erimaki Anguirus »

Moguera and Ebirah. Singular Point is a chance to make uncool monsters like Ebirah and Orga actually cool. Singular Point made a lot of fans hold Kumonga and Manda in higher regards. It was also cool seeing Godzilla looking like some of the old monsters which makes fans remember them fondly. In season 2, I do not want Ghidorah or Mothra or anything like that. The whole reason I like Singular Point is that it is giving less-appreciated monsters their time to shine. I also don't want them to explain the origin of the kaiju, I think part of the fun is that fans can come up with there own origin for the Kaiju. But in short, I want Moguera, Ebirah, Orga and Baragon. The big bad monster could be Megaguirus and her swarm of Meganulon and Meganula...

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I'd love to see Baragon in a Season 2. I'm suprised it wasn't one of Godzilla's forms.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Erimaki Anguirus wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:57 am MogueraIn season 2, I do not want Ghidorah or Mothra or anything like that.
Spoiler:
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I have not yet even seen the show yet. Frankly, I dread what season 2 has in store.

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:48 pm I have not yet even seen the show yet. Frankly, I dread what season 2 has in store.
Why is that? I don't mean to be "that guy" but shouldn't you watch atleast a bit of the show before you make an opinion? I'm not trying to throw any shade.
Last edited by phillipw1954 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Spoiler:
I wanna see Megalon appear and look like a bipedal Kumonga but with Megalon's colors and horns

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:49 pm
Spoiler:
I wanna see Megalon appear and look like a bipedal Kumonga but with Megalon's colors and horns
I could see that really easily actually. Wouldn't be a bad design in the end. Hey, we still might already get that!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Biollante because of the plants, Baragon, Maguma, Dagarah

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

A monster that actually resembles what it’s supposed to represent would be a nice surprise for once...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Spuro wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:01 am A monster that actually resembles what it’s supposed to represent would be a nice surprise for once...
You already said this

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:17 am
Spuro wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:01 am A monster that actually resembles what it’s supposed to represent would be a nice surprise for once...
You already said this
That, and how do the monster designs REEEEAAALLY differ from their previous ones? The ONLY ones that I see as super different are the "Kumongas".
While the Rodans are kinda just pterosaurs, their color schemes are very reminiscent of past incarnations of Rodan, the second forms have the two crests, and they all have past roars. The first version of Rodan is decently different, and lacks alot of aspects from past incarnations besides the fact that it's pterosaur-esk. That being said, the series quickly switches to, and heavily features the second form.
The Mandas also have very similar color schemes and silhouettes. The only big difference is the bug-like aspects of the SP design.
The Kumongas are SUPER different... no hiding that.
Anguirus is essentially Anguirus but in the style of the show.
Salunga is a new creature so it gets a pass.
Godzilla is VERY similar when comparing it to past incarnations. Sure the first three forms are super different, yet core Godzilla (Ultima) looks very similar to Shin and 54. We even got the blue atomic breath back for this design, past roars, and a familiar color scheme. The only new addition is basically the fangs, and those are just an enlarged detail that was featured on other designs where they were more or less just teeth. Also, even if the first few forms of Godzilla resemble old monsters, they're not meant to be those old monsters. They're new creations. So, like Salunga, I feel that we should give them a pass. While it may be disappointing for some to see that these monsters aren't actually Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorosaurus, they're not meant to be those creatures. Also, making the Godzilla forms look like Shin's probably wouldn't fit the series as this Godzilla isn't the organic-abomination that Shin is mean to represent.
I think that saying the designs do not resemble what they are supposed to represent is an overstatement...
Last edited by phillipw1954 on Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:17 am
You already said this
I did?

-looks at the previous page-

... I did. :lol:
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

phillipw1954 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:25 am That, and how do the monster designs REEEEAAALLY differ from their previous ones? The ONLY ones that I see as super different are the "Kumongas".
While the Rodans are kinda just pterosaurs, their color schemes are very reminiscent of past incarnations of Rodan, the second forms have the two crests, and they all have past roars. The first version of Rodan is decently different, and lacks alot of aspects from past incarnations besides the fact that it's pterosaur-esk. That being said, the series quickly switches to, and heavily features the second form.
Rodan, to my eyes, looks as much like Rodan as GINO looks like Godzilla. Even the second form. Sure, the basic bare bones similarities are there. GINO and RINO both resemble a dinosaur and pterosaur, like Godzilla and Rodan. GINO and RINO have a similar color scheme to Godzilla and Rodan. GINO/RINO both have back spines/two crests, like Godzilla/Rodan. GINO and RINO both have their past roars. But in both cases those similarities are outweighed by how drastically different they are, to the point that GINO and RINO may as well be completely separate characters (narratively speaking) to Godzilla and Rodan.
The Mandas also have very similar color schemes and silhouettes. The only big difference is the bug-like aspects of the SP design.
They changed an explicitly mythical monster (a Japanese dragon) into a centipede. By that logic we should change King Caeser into an elephant while we're at it. Makes about as much sense.

You know what's sad/hilarious? Tiamat from the god damn Monsterverse comics is a better Manda than Singular Point's Manda. You know you fucked up when an unrelated character resembles the original character more than that original character's redesign.

And before you ask, no, I'm not overly fond that DAM turned Manda into a big snake with legs either, but that's a lot more forgivable than a fucking centipede.
Anguirus is essentially Anguirus but in the style of the show.

Anguirus and Stage 2 Jet Jaguar are the only ones I don't mind, for that reason exactly. I really wish the other redesigns looked like them.
Salunga is a new creature so it gets a pass.
This I can agree with.
Godzilla is VERY similar when comparing it to past incarnations.
I can also agree with... most of this. My issue with Godzilla (aside from thinking the design is ugly) lies with its previous forms. Speaking of which...
Also, even if the first few forms of Godzilla resemble old monsters, they're not meant to be those old monsters. They're new creations. So, like Salunga, I feel that we should give them a pass. While it may be disappointing for some to see that these monsters aren't actually Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorosaurus, they're not meant to be those creatures.

This is where you lose me. If they're meant to be new creatures, then why do they share blatant design similarities to Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorosaurus? Are they saying that from now on Titanosaurus, Varan and Gorosaurus no longer exist and are now considered variations of Godzilla? Because that's just as disrespectful to fans of those characters as outright GINO-fying them would be. If that's not the case then... what the hell is the point in giving them design similarities to those three? Why not make them new creatures?

And more importantly... why are these three considered Godzilla? If we give them a pass for not being faithful redesigns of Titanosaurus, Varan and Gorosaurus, then why are we giving them a pass for being Godzilla? They look nothing like Godzilla. I've never liked Shin Godzilla's shapeshifting either, but at least they knew to make those previous forms actually resemble Godzilla somewhat. There was a distinct evolutionary stage in each form leading up to Godzilla's final shape. I don't see that here. It's just Not!Titanosaurus, Not!Varan, and Not!Gorosaurus, and then suddenly Godzilla.
Also, making the Godzilla forms look like Shin's probably wouldn't fit the series as this Godzilla isn't the organic-abomination that Shin is mean to represent.
I agree that this isn't the organic-abomination that Shin is supposed to represent, which leads me to my biggest grevious with Singular Point's take on Godzilla. They blatantly ripped off Shin Godzilla's shapeshifting abilities and adapted them into this anime for no other reason than "Shin Godzilla was popular and made money, let's copy what it did!." There's no artistic integrity in that, and the shapeshifting really only fits an "organic-abomination" Godzilla, as you described. It feels out of place and lazily tacked on in Singular Point.

This is a matter of personal opinion, but Shin Godzilla worked best as a one-off concept. I'm not exactly pleased that Singular Point is trying to make "Godzilla the Hedorah/Destoroyah-style shapeshifting abomination" the tradition going forward.

I think that saying the designs do not resemble what they are supposed to represent is an overstatement...
You may feel that way, but I stand by what I said.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Spuro wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:51 am
They changed an explicitly mythical monster (a Japanese dragon) into a centipede. By that logic we should change King Caeser into an elephant while we're at it. Makes about as much sense.

You know what's sad/hilarious? Tiamat from the god damn Monsterverse comics is a better Manda than Singular Point's Manda. You know you fucked up when an unrelated character resembles the original character more than that original character's redesign.

And before you ask, no, I'm not overly fond that DAM turned Manda into a big snake with legs either, but that's a lot more forgivable than a fucking centipede.
Is this a bit? This is a bit, right? SP Manda isn't a centipede, dude.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

NSZ wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:17 am
Spuro wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:51 am

You know what's sad/hilarious? Tiamat from the god damn Monsterverse comics is a better Manda than Singular Point's Manda. You know you skreeonked up when an unrelated character resembles the original character more than that original character's redesign.

And before you ask, no, I'm not overly fond that DAM turned Manda into a big snake with legs either, but that's a lot more forgivable than a skreeonking centipede.
Is this a bit? This is a bit, right? SP Manda isn't a centipede, dude.
Well, it has praying mantis calws up front so it's OK to lump it into a centipede, right? Right?
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

It's more of a shark, snake thing? With stylized dragon arms?
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Moth wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:54 pm It's more of a shark, snake thing? With stylized dragon arms?
I mean he has fins/hair along his side but in the end he does look like an eastern dragon with the horns and nostril tentacles.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

this guy said "Rodan in Name Only"
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!