Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla S.P. Weekly Spoiler Thread (Episode 1 to 7)

Post by Thatguy4683 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:18 pm While I'm annoyed we haven't gotten to see much of Manda, I'm a bit forgiving, as a lot of it is explicitly in reference to older Japanese Yokai and monster mythos. As a viewer, and as someone who wants to see Manda's face, and them destroy stuff, it's a bit disappointing, but okay, I respect it.

Ikuchi and Ayashi:

Similarly, the Godzilla bones are now definitely a reference to the Bake Kujirai:

However, I think it's POSSIBLE, that the bones will begin to come alive and attack. Sounds crazy, but would be neat to integrate this somehow:

Godzilla Aquatalis was the flip side of that, with the traditional painting that's modified in the anime. In both cases, the Rodan link nicely.

Pretty obvious what the Kumonga creatures are going to be referencing, the Ushi-Oni

The Kamacuras/Gigan creatures are most likely based on this, a wind spirit that uses sickles to slash, often portrayed as a weasel but in some areas by Mantis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamaitachi

Long story short, as a Godzilla fan SP can be a tad frustrating when we just want to see the monsters and them fight, as of episode 7. However, I really respect some of the integration of tying everything into a cohesive Japanese mythos, while also keeping things modern and fresh.
That idea actually sounds pretty good

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

Gigantis wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:39 am
vastatosaurus wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:26 am Godzilla Amphibia?
I'm just imagining that thing rampaging across the Amphibia tv series that's on Disney right now. :lol:
That's the real reason Disney pulled the s2 finale right before airing, didn't want to get in trouble with TOHO's lawyers lol
Last edited by GojiSquid on Thu May 06, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I am glad Varan is being honored in some form in modern Godzilla media, but a piece of me wishes it was truly Varan and not just a Godzilla form. Still, I dig the look, and I'm excited bc I love Varan no matter the form.
Also, I dig the aesthetics for the kaiju designs in this series, something about them is so so cool and esoteric and hits right for me.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

BennettCommando wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:58 pm When thinking about the reasons why the production team decided to incorporate elements of other Toho Monsters into Godzilla's evolution stage. I found out that both Varan and Titanosaurus have something in common with Godzilla.

Varan:
Both monster's debut film was black and white rather than colored.

Both are worshipped as some kind of indeginous deity or legendary beast by people in remoted areas.

Some of Varan's roars, were modified Godzilla roars.

Titanosaurus:
Both are aquatic/semi-aquatic prehistoric creatures found by humanity.

Titanosaurus was one of few monsters that went back to the Orthodox. That is, Dinosaur-like monster in the last glory of Showa Era.
That and Godzilla stock footage was used for Varan.
Oh hey look who I found in the Music Video.
Spoiler:
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Thu May 06, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I dunno if that's the same form. Something is off... Wonder what Godzilla C will look like. If it's an enemy of Ultimate make it either like Super Godzilla or a weird Orga analogue...what if it was like Dagarah with shoulder cannons?
Last edited by imposterzilla on Thu May 06, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

imposterzilla wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:01 pm I dunno if that's the same form. Something is off... Wonder what Godzilla C will look like. If it's an enemy of Ultimate make it either like Super Godzilla or a weird Orga analogue...what if it was like Dagarah with shoulder cannons?
I think I posted what Godzilla C will look like, right in the post above yours.
Spoiler:
He looks like Gorosaurus with godzilla spines.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Could be Gorosaurus. Could also be the Godzilla bones coming to life or something else.

I dig the Amphibia design. It’s obviously Varan, but it’s unique enough. I just hope it gets to actually do stuff...
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Wait, there’s gonna be another Godzilla form? Hope it’s Baragon or Gorosaurus
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Soooo, we have Godzilla Aquatilis, who's mostly based on Titanosaurus.
We have Godzilla Amphibia, who's mostly based on Varan
Godzilla C is mostly based on Gorosaurus, and considering the pattern here, it's name is probably gonna be "Godzilla A(insert rest of name here"

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Gigantis wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:52 pm Soooo, we have Godzilla Aquatilis, who's mostly based on Titanosaurus.
We have Godzilla Amphibia, who's mostly based on Varan
Godzilla C is mostly based on Gorosaurus, and considering the pattern here, it's name is probably gonna be "Godzilla A(insert rest of name here"
Never mind, just saw it
Last edited by Jermobooka on Thu May 06, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:48 pm Wait, there’s gonna be another Godzilla form? Hope it’s Baragon or Gorosaurus
Probably going to be Gorosaurus.

Godzilla has evolved from a purely Aquatic creature, to a amphibious one, and then to a purely land based creature. Then it'll evolve into Godzilla!

I don't mind Godzilla Aquatalis being shown so briefly now, I've gotten over it, and hey, at least it killed a monster and destroyed a building. Missed opportunities to destroy the tanker it leaped over, and then the bridge. However, it may be one of those things that similar to Shin it won't cause massive destruction until provoked. I have a feeling that will be just like Shin where once the military attacks it and does a little damage it'll go ape shit.I just hope Amphibia gets some time to shine. The series is definitely now purely focused on Godzilla which is neat.

What I do like about Aqutalis and Amphibia is that both would work as re-designs of Titanosaurus and Varan respectively. That's what they are essentially, minus the incorporation of the spines and the face. Varan was originally supposed to be super durable and amphibious in addition to it's gliding abilities.

Also, one thing that I think I can safely say at this point, is that SP is acting with Shin Godzilla rules. In episode 4, Yun and Havel discuss that the Rodan are rapidly evolving, and there's a discussion about changing bodies to better suit the environment. We've seen this literal thing with Aquatalis into Amphibia. I think it's been confirmed the Rodan are intrinsically tied to Godzilla, and are spawns.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu May 06, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Gotschiller wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:03 am From the website:

Added in 53 minutes 41 seconds:
And here he is!
https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/ ... 6830361603
Aquatalis looks good and Manda as I've said before is gorgeous. Also, Varan AKA "G. Amphibia" is a welcome addition!

BennettCommando
Monarch Researcher

Post by BennettCommando »

When comparing both incarnations, I think although Shin and Ultima have “evolutional stages”. They have different nuances. In Shin, its more about biological evolution, and a call back to 54's origin:A missing link between aquatic and terrestrial creatures, while the one in SP has more“All monsters lead to Godzilla” vibe.

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

So, how long you think it'll be till we see Kirby memes in reference to Ultima's ability?
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Tarbosaurus wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:24 pm So, how long you think it'll be till we see Kirby memes in reference to Ultima's ability?
The nanosecond it comes to Netflix :lol:

Added in 1 minute 1 second:
Gotschiller wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:03 am From the website:
Wow. There’s not a single SP design so far that I don’t love!

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

It's interesting how Salunga seems to have a bigger role than previously thought. He's described as a counterpart to Godzilla, or a rival. So far he's the only kaiju (alongside Godzilla) to have the unique ability to control the Red Dust, and the shady guy at the Indian facility ponders who's the 'real deal' between Godzilla and Salunga.

Never would have imagined that Gabara, of all kaiju, would be re-worked into a rival to Godzilla lol.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Vandarker wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:16 pm It's interesting how Salunga seems to have a bigger role than previously thought. He's described as a counterpart to Godzilla, or a rival. So far he's the only kaiju (alongside Godzilla) to have the unique ability to control the Red Dust, and the shady guy at the Indian facility ponders who's the 'real deal' between Godzilla and Salunga.

Never would have imagined that Gabara, of all kaiju, would be re-worked into a rival to Godzilla lol.
Plus, we see him grow in size in trailer 3, indicating he will escape and get bigger. I really do hope we get a big fight with Godzilla and Salunga. I’m sort of worried that the series, save for a few moments of Mandas being killed, will reserve the fights for the smaller monsters like Jet Jaguar.

If you don’t mind me asking, where are you getting this information? Fan subs? (I’ve been watching them without just to pick up information and practice my japanese).

Also, I’m pretty sure the facility is in Dubai. Although it might be a bit confusing.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu May 06, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BennettCommando
Monarch Researcher

Post by BennettCommando »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:19 pm
Vandarker wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:16 pm It's interesting how Salunga seems to have a bigger role than previously thought. He's described as a counterpart to Godzilla, or a rival. So far he's the only kaiju (alongside Godzilla) to have the unique ability to control the Red Dust, and the shady guy at the Indian facility ponders who's the 'real deal' between Godzilla and Salunga.

Plus, we see him grow in size in trailer 3, indicating he will escape and get bigger. I really do hope we get a big fight with Godzilla and Salunga. I’m sort of worried that the series, save for a few moments of Mandas being killed, will reserve the fights for the smaller monsters like Jet Jaguar.

If you don’t mind me asking, where are you getting this information? Fan subs? (I’ve been watching them without just to pick up information and practice my japanese).

Also, I’m pretty sure the facility is in Dubai. Although it might be a bit confusing.
According to official bio of Salunga/Sharanga, the facility is indeed in India.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

BennettCommando wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:58 pm According to official bio of Salunga/Sharanga, the facility is indeed in India.
Ah okay, here?:
https://godzilla-sp.jp/kaiju/

Sorry for being wrong then. It was confusing because Mei goes to Dubai, meets Li, and for whatever reason I assumed they were all together. Got it!

And yeah, reading the bio now, the name confusion makes sense. Shanaga is it's name in India, while Sarunga is it's Japanese name. Most likely, this was done because Sarunga sounds more like a classic monster name (animal+ga/gon/etc...) and the fact they might not have been able to copyright a monster name.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:19 pm

I speak Japanese (a bit) so I just watch the episodes on Netflix without subs. The in-depth scientific jargon is barely comprehensible, but other than that I get most of the dialogue.