Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Post Reply
User avatar
Spuro
Keizer
Posts: 8016
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: AB, Canada

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Spuro »

Maritonic wrote:
Grievous wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I don't know. I don't feel too much camp with this one. The tone has always felt dark and creepy. Mechagodzilla II literally levels city blocks. The music is slower and even eerie at times. I've never felt too conflicted with this one. Definitely one of my Top 10.
That's fair...

I just think the 70's elements (campy kaiju fights & silly costumes)
clash with the dark & creepy tone.
I don't see how the fights in Terror are campy, and the costumes are the same as the are for every other film. So.
The scene where Titanosaurus bites Godzilla's jaw and uppercuts him repeatedly, I assume.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Mosura ya Mosura
Dongan kasakuyan indo muu
Rusuto uiraandoa, hanba hanbamuyan, randa banunradan
Tounjukanraa
Kasaku yaanmu

User avatar
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: PizzaRat

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Maritonic »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Grievous wrote: That's fair...

I just think the 70's elements (campy kaiju fights & silly costumes)
clash with the dark & creepy tone.
I don't see how the fights in Terror are campy, and the costumes are the same as the are for every other film. So.
The scene where Titanosaurus bites Godzilla's jaw and uppercuts him repeatedly, I assume.
Okay, fair that one is a bit campy but it's nothing compared to what comes before it in campier films.
Resized Image

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:I don't see how the fights in Terror are campy,
Really?

Well...okay then.
Maritonic wrote:and the costumes are the same as the are for every other film.
Yeah...I don't remember seeing the silly bike handle helmets before.

:P
Maritonic wrote:So.
We clearly have a difference of opinion on this matter.

;)
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: PizzaRat

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Maritonic »

Grievous wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I don't see how the fights in Terror are campy,
Really?

Well...okay then.
Maritonic wrote:and the costumes are the same as the are for every other film.
Yeah...I don't remember seeing the silly bike handle helmets before.

:P
Maritonic wrote:So.
We clearly have a difference of opinion on this matter.

;)
So an alien's costume changes the entire tone of a film?
Resized Image

User avatar
Spuro
Keizer
Posts: 8016
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: AB, Canada

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Spuro »

I don't think the alien costumes are any sillier than the Kiilaks or Xiliens or especially the Mysterians.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Mosura ya Mosura
Dongan kasakuyan indo muu
Rusuto uiraandoa, hanba hanbamuyan, randa banunradan
Tounjukanraa
Kasaku yaanmu

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:So an alien's costume changes the entire tone of a film?
No...

As I stated earlier...I believe it is a case of "tones" clashing.

Terror Of MechaGodzilla is trying to be more serious than the 4 (5?) films
that came before it...yet their are still moments of extreme camp that
to me clash with this serious, darker tone.

Also...just because Terror of MechaGodzilla is "darker" doesn't make it
a better film.

Frankly...I think its incredibly uneven in tone, effects & editing and I
prefer vs. Hedorah, vs. Megalon & vs. MechaGodzilla to it.
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: PizzaRat

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Maritonic »

Grievous wrote:
Maritonic wrote:So an alien's costume changes the entire tone of a film?
No...

As I stated earlier...I believe it is a case of "tones" clashing.

Terror Of MechaGodzilla is trying to be more serious than the 4 (5?) films
that came before it...yet their are still moments of extreme camp that
to me clash with this serious, darker tone.

Also...just because Terror of MechaGodzilla is "darker" doesn't make it
a better film.

Frankly...I think its incredibly uneven in tone, effects & editing and I
prefer vs. Hedorah, vs. Megalon & vs. MechaGodzilla to it.
Okay, and what moments of extreme camp are there? Because I don't recall any.
Resized Image

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:Okay, and what moments of extreme camp are there? Because I don't recall any.
Honestly...I just woke up.

Can I get back to you on this?
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: PizzaRat

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Maritonic »

Grievous wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Okay, and what moments of extreme camp are there? Because I don't recall any.
Honestly...I just woke up.

Can I get back to you on this?
Sure. Especially since you claim this has an extremely uneven tone, but you'll say you prefer Hedorah which is home to some of the bleakest imagery in the franchise and some of the campiest moments as well.

I'm not saying Terror's tone is what makes it good. It's why I prefer it to it's predecessor, but not what makes the film. When I think of extreme campy moments, none of them are from this movie.
Resized Image

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:Sure.
Cheers...
Maritonic wrote:Especially since you claim this has an extremely uneven tone, but you'll say you prefer Hedorah which is home to some of the bleakest imagery in the franchise and some of the campiest moments as well.
Oh...Okay.

Yes I prefer Hedorah & for me the film is more "experimental & arty" &
therefore the "tone clashes" enhance the film.

Terror of MechaGodzilla on the other hand is a far more "normal" film...
and therefore the tone issues stick out more.

At least they do to me.
Maritonic wrote:I'm not saying Terror's tone is what makes it good.
You aren't...but many fans/defenders of this film do.
Maritonic wrote:When I think of extreme campy moments, none of them are from this movie.
As you keep saying.

And clearly I see somethings you don't.

And that's fine.
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: PizzaRat

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Maritonic »

Grievous wrote: As you keep saying.

And clearly I see somethings you don't.

And that's fine.

Hence why I keep asking you to tell me what you see.


You're starting to remind me of someone else on here...
Resized Image

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:Hence why I keep asking you to tell me what you see.
And I said I'd get back to you on the matter.
Maritonic wrote:You're starting to remind me of someone else on here...
Well...I might be offended if I knew who you were talking about...
but the truth is I'm hungry so I'm going to get some breakfast.

I'll have a list for you later.

Added in 7 hours 25 minutes 6 seconds:
Okay...so...you ready for that list?

~ Katsura's acting...especially when she "falls over"
~ Dr. Mafune's wig...
~ The bicycle handle helmets...
~ Several moments in the kaiju battle...including Titanosaurus lifting Godzilla up by
the lip/mouth, Titanosaurus "kicking" Godzilla across the country side & any time
Titanosaurus used his wind/tail/butt swing power...

All these campy elements/moments clash with the "serious" tone the film is going
for...and frankly I think most fans have a habit of overrating this one mainly because
Honda & Ifukube were back as director & composer.

While I greatly respect both men...their work doesn't get a free pass from me & I
personally believe Terror of MechaGodzilla should have been directed by Jun Fukuda
& scored by Masaru Sato & been more of a direct sequel to the first MechaGodzilla film.

It should have been way less serious & Angurius should have shown up for the final battle
to get revenge on MechaGodzilla leading to an epic 2 on 2 battle.

That is how I see Terror of MechaGodzilla.
Last edited by Grievous on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7007
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by LegendZilla »

Is it any more worth being considered overrated than Monster Zero?

User avatar
Spuro
Keizer
Posts: 8016
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: AB, Canada

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Spuro »

How is Titanosaurus's windstorm any sillier than Rodan's windstorm? Or Mothra's or Ghidorah's?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Mosura ya Mosura
Dongan kasakuyan indo muu
Rusuto uiraandoa, hanba hanbamuyan, randa banunradan
Tounjukanraa
Kasaku yaanmu

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 16289
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote:Is it any more worth being considered overrated than Monster Zero?
But Monster Zero isn't overrated.
Image

User avatar
LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7007
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Is it any more worth being considered overrated than Monster Zero?
But Monster Zero isn't overrated.
One could argue.

User avatar
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2644
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:56 pm
Location: albaquarky
Contact:

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Uh oh, Legendzilla’s starting poop for the sake of doing so again!
Ultra Q: Dark Fantasy has been funded!!
https://www.gofundme.com/f/finish-subbi ... are-flow-1
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Grievous »

LegendZilla wrote:Is it any more worth being considered overrated than Monster Zero?
Well...I actually think Monster Zero is highly overrated as well...so yes?
Kaiju-King42 wrote:How is Titanosaurus's windstorm any sillier than Rodan's windstorm? Or Mothra's or Ghidorah's?
When a monster has to wiggle/shake their butt
to use one of their powers...its silly.
UltramanGoji wrote:But Monster Zero isn't overrated.
I would argue it is...but that's just how I see the film.
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: PizzaRat

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Maritonic »

Alright so props and acting is your claim at campiness? Because...the entire franchise is plagued by weird/bad props and off-acting, even in darker entries.
Resized Image

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:Alright so props and acting is your claim at campiness? Because...the entire franchise is plagued by weird/bad props and off-acting, even in darker entries.
Yes...the entire franchise is plagued with these issues...but for
me the clash of tones is at it worst with Terror of MechaGodzilla.

Okay...so...I don't want to continue this conversation anymore...
I feel like I'm bashing my head against a brick wall.

No matter what I say or examples I give...I will clearly challenge
me on every point I try to make.

I have explained why I have the opinions I do about this film...
& clearly you disagree with my opinions/views on the matter...
& that's fine.

We can agree to disagree.

You can like/love Terror of MechaGodzilla as much as you want...
I'll just watch vs. Hedorah, vs. Megalon & vs. MechaGodzilla
instead.

:thumbsup:
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Post Reply