Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Dr. Professor »

Terasawa wrote:As I watched this tonight I caught a nice little bit of visually symmetry I've never noticed before:

Katsura has just plummeted off a cliff and is presumed dead. Ichinose and Yamamoto are arguing about whether or not she sabotaged the supersonic device. Angered, Ichinose storms out. Yamamoto, who is apparently romantically interested in Ichinose, starts to chase after him, but Murakoshi stops her. He pats her on the shoulder twice, somewhat condescendingly, and tells her to leave him alone. "He'll be all right." (Of course, anyone watching the movie knows Ichinose will not be all right.)

Then Honda cuts to Katsura's surgery. Here, presumably, her remaining human organs ⁠—including possibly her heart⁠— are being removed and replaced with fully cybernetic components. The aliens are also placing the Mechagodzilla control device inside her. The camera pans up to Dr. Mafune watching over her shoulder, visibly very upset. Mugal twice pats him on the shoulder in the same exaggeratedly patronizing manner as in the last scene. Although his actions suggest he's trying to reassure Mafune that it's all right, they and the audience know that, like Ichinose, Katsura will not be OK.

God damn it I just love this fucking movie.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Thanks gents! It's always nice to find new details that add to the depth of these movies.

Another detail I like, which I think is mentioned in the Classic Media commentary track, is that in the final shot of the human cast, all are standing together but there's a visible gap between Ichinose and Yamamoto, perhaps symbolizing Katsura having come between them. As much as I love the three Fukuda films that preceded this movie, it's stuff like this that makes me glad that Honda was able to return for one last film.
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

is it true that the "hillside" Godzilla, Titanosaurus and MechaG fight on is actually where a city used to be? if so, wow... this film really did get dark.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

tyrantgoji wrote:is it true that the "hillside" Godzilla, Titanosaurus and MechaG fight on is actually where a city used to be? if so, wow... this film really did get dark.
Only at the very beginning of the fight. It gradually moves into the country.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

It is absolutely amazing that I grew up with the heavily edited version released on VHS and how that cut was ever allowed to be released.

So much of the ending of the movie is lost with all the cuts made. In the version I knew, they made it look like Katsura was saved by the power of love and that stopped Mechagodzilla. (BTW, whenever Love is the answer to saving the day, I jokingly yell "Foiled by the Power of Love! NOOOOOO!". Terror of MG might have been the first time I did that). They also made it look like Dr. Mafune fell down and hurt his tummy, but is probably okay.

Having both of them die? Now that works a lot better, specifically having Katsura sacrifice herself to stop Mechagodzilla. That is way more emotionally satisfying and tragic than the heavily edited cut.

And why were these cuts even made? So kiddies wouldn't be upset that people died? Weak.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It was definitely done as a matter of censorship, to get a "G" from the MPAA, which would have been more important to the distributor than presenting the film as intended.

A TV version (the version with the prologue on the Classic Media DVD) that was released concurrently was uncut except for the two shots of Katsura's (fake) boobs and the addition of said prologue.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

The Terror Of Godzilla cut is such a gem in the franchise I always thought :lol:
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Terasawa wrote:It was definitely done as a matter of censorship, to get a "G" from the MPAA, which would have been more important to the distributor than presenting the film as intended.

A TV version (the version with the prologue on the Classic Media DVD) that was released concurrently was uncut except for the two shots of Katsura's (fake) boobs and the addition of said prologue.
Yeah that's so weird. Nowadays, you'd expect the TV version to be the censored one.
Last edited by GojiDog on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I saw the final 20 minutes or so of this movie yesterday via Encore Classics and I have to ask this.

When Godzilla fights both Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus, why don't the two immediately double team him instead of MG letting Titanosaurus get the first shot by himself?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

When Mafune sent Titanosaurus to attack without permission, the aliens didn't mind. Mugal decided it would wound Godzilla and make it easier to deal with him. That could be the same strategy here. Titanosaurus softens up Godzilla, and MG finishes him off.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Kaijuzone
Young Farmer

Post by Kaijuzone »

Favorite lines (from the dub):

"Sea animals, crustacea and of course all manner of fish."

"I see, thank you. I'm sorry to have troubled you."

"Katsura, we have gone too far. There's no return for us anymore!"

"As an earthling city, it's typified by its pollution and confusion. In spite of their attempts to control it, the earthlings don't know what to do. They're so ignorant."

"That's strange. A gentle dinosaur."

"Come on and shoot. You can't kill me anyways. So what do your bullets matter? HAHAHAHAHA."

"Don't try to escape earthling, or you will force us to kill you."

"AND THEN WE'LL DESTROY IT UTTERLY!"

"Even if you're a cyborg, Katsura i still love you."

"...and Mechagodzilla is just a machine."

"it's no good! The circuits have been cut loose! GODDAMN IT!"

and last but not least

"And with a parabolic LENS!"
Last edited by Kaijuzone on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^To add to this:

Tsuda: Your heart is frozen and dry. Who’d love a cyborg, a person who is not a person? So remember, forget about earthlings. They’re no concern of yours. There is only one emotion that controls your mind. What emotion is that? What controls you?

Katsura: Vengeance and hate. Revenge. [That's two emotions. Close enough.]

&

"Your entreaties fall on deaf ears. It’s too late, the die is cast!"
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

At that post with the comforting shoulder grab I actually never got the impression Yamamoto had a crush on
Terasawa wrote:As I watched this tonight I caught a nice little bit of visually symmetry I've never noticed before:

Katsura has just plummeted off a cliff and is presumed dead. Ichinose and Yamamoto are arguing about whether or not she sabotaged the supersonic device. Angered, Ichinose storms out. Yamamoto, who is apparently romantically interested in Ichinose, starts to chase after him, but Murakoshi stops her. He pats her on the shoulder twice, somewhat condescendingly, and tells her to leave him alone. "He'll be all right." (Of course, anyone watching the movie knows Ichinose will not be all right.)

Then Honda cuts to Katsura's surgery. Here, presumably, her remaining human organs ⁠—including possibly her heart⁠— are being removed and replaced with fully cybernetic components. The aliens are also placing the Mechagodzilla control device inside her. The camera pans up to Dr. Mafune watching over her shoulder, visibly very upset. Mugal twice pats him on the shoulder in the same exaggeratedly patronizing manner as in the last scene. Although his actions suggest he's trying to reassure Mafune that it's all right, they and the audience know that, like Ichinose, Katsura will not be OK.

Minor minor thing but I never got the impression Yamamoto had a crush on Ichinose. Why? I could be dead wrong but she's at the cafe she spots Ichinose and Katsura at another table and she starts to sneak closer grinning...she only seems to get crestfallen not when she sees Ichinose with another woman but when he starts blabbing about the super sonic radar or an upcoming mission. So I figured maybe she was just a bit gossipy or she's a friend of his and is happy he's dating.
I guess it isn't impossible but it seems more like it stems from genuinely being concerned she's a spy, industrial or something more war-like, than simply being jealous of Katsura.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

daveblackeye15 wrote:I never got the impression Yamamoto had a crush on Ichinose.
It's not very obvious in the film but I think the best indication that she likes him that we get is from the scene I mentioned. She's clearly upset when Ichinose storms off after she upsets him.

Also, as noted by Peter H. Brothers in his book on Honda, in the final "curtain call," Yamamoto and Ichinose stand next to each other but there is a very sizable gap between them, which he believes symbolizes the chasm between them caused by Katsura. I think that's a pretty valid reading of that staging since that's the only huge space between the assembled characters. Interestingly, Katsura's (uncovered) head occupies part of the space between them.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Never realized she was at the end.
Mind you me not seeing anything between them or from her to him is really funny since this is coming from me where I ship Mark and Chen from King of the Monsters because she grabbed his hand suddenly in the sub.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I saw the Sony release DVD of Terror Of Mechagodzilla yesterday and a few months before, I saw it on El Ray. It's interesting to see how some of the footage is cut from the Sony version a la how Mafume's daughter finishes herself off. And if I'm not mistaken, Mafume himself was fairly riddled with bullets in the El Ray version. In any case. Brandon Tenold made an interesting point about how this movie does its best to pretend like the first version never happened and it's pretty visable. Heck, even when it gives you the rundown of the first, you don't see King Ceasar, which I found odd.

I do like some of the shots, like how you see the torsos of both Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus, which is one of the best in the Showa series since it gives you a scale of how big they are. I think that it's a solid movie, but I still think it was the wrong one to end the Showa series on.

I like the first movie better, which is ironic since this was one of the first Godzilla movies I saw as a kid. It was at Thanksgiving day back in 1995 and again in 1996.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I have one question between both movies, why the hell do these aliens seem to know so little about their own creation? They rely on a human to fix their own machine on two occasions and even let the doctor's daughter have full control over it here.
Last edited by godjacob on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote:I have one question between both movies, why the hell do these aliens seem to know so little about their own creation? They rely on a human to fix their own machine on two occasions and even let the doctor's daughter have full control over it here.
At least in the first one, part of the reason is that Kuronuma doesn't want headquarters to know that they bungled their initial attack, so he uses a human scientist to avoid having to report back.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote:
godjacob wrote:I have one question between both movies, why the hell do these aliens seem to know so little about their own creation? They rely on a human to fix their own machine on two occasions and even let the doctor's daughter have full control over it here.
At least in the first one, part of the reason is that Kuronuma doesn't want headquarters to know that they bungled their initial attack, so he uses a human scientist to avoid having to report back.
Couldn't they just fix it and not report back? I figure if evil aliens are willing to have someone do labor to avoid reporting a boo boo they wouldn't be above just lying about its status or just not mentioning it got damaged.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don't have an exact reason for GvMG, but in the context of TOMG, placing the control of MG inside Katsura actually made a lot of sense. Often I forget it, but it was them responding to the issues with MG in the previous film. Having a base where they were stuck to made them vulnerable. During the climax of the film, a big plot point is interpol entering a deserted base, only to find that it's an elaborate trap. Another big part of Dr. Mafune, and why Katsura was chosen, was because of Titanosaurus. It gave Mafune an explicit reason to not betray the aliens. First, they "saved her", and second if Mafune wanted to disable MechaGodzilla he would have to kill his own daughter. Titanosaurus was an instrumental part of their plan to kill Godzilla, as Titanosaurus works well as a partner to MG as it compensates for some of it's weaknesses.

Katsura being chosen as a vessel to control MG2 might seem convoluted, and it is, but in the context of the film it makes a lot of sense. What they didn't expect, was for Katsura and Dr. Ichinose to fall in love. It's great IMO.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.