Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Guardian7 wrote:I love the fights with Gabara (both the Kaiju and the bully).
Pft..sorry, but Ichiro's "fight" with the bully is anything but.

I love this movie, though. It was my sixth Godzilla movie. People can say what they want about All Monsters Attack, but I loved this movie as a child. Most of the time, movies I loved as a child are still loved 10+ years later.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I hated this movie as a kid, and I still hate it. I didn't want to follow some stupid kid's story. It made me so angry the first time I watched it. I wanted to see Godzilla fight other monsters or destroy things. This is the only Godzilla film that I will flat out refuse to watch. I gave it a chance again last year... still sucked.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

It's not a Godzilla film, at least not in the traditional sense. Do you judge Son of Rambow on its merits as a Rambo film?
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

You make some good points I will admit... but not strong enough for me to think still that it couldn't still be possible for AMA to still be a piece of Godzilla Canon.
The Science Fiction world of these Gigantic Monsters, Aliens, Strange Technology and such still to me allows room for a child to do the impossible.

Because in the end. It is all impossible...

*wink*
G7

P.S. Sorry been gone for a few days... otherwise I would have hit this sooner. I will likely get back on that imaginary plane trip of my own and discuss it more.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Mini-Godzilla wrote:It's not a Godzilla film, at least not in the traditional sense. Do you judge Son of Rambow on its merits as a Rambo film?
I may have judged the film that way as a child. But like I said, I watched it again last year and it even fails as a movie in general... shameless stock footage, ridiculous and annoying characters, mediocre acting. It disappoints me in just about every possible way. I loathe this film. That's just how I am.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Legion1979 wrote:
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote: I may have judged the film that way as a child. But like I said, I watched it again last year and it even fails as a movie in general... shameless stock footage, ridiculous and annoying characters, mediocre acting. It disappoints me in just about every possible way. I loathe this film. That's just how I am.
The stock footage may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's far from shameless. You want shameless? How about Gamera vs Viras and it's 25 minute stock footage sequence disguised as Gamera's memories, followed by a black and white sequence from the first Gamera passed off as new footage. That's shameless.

And mediocre acting? In a Japanese film where the characters speak a language you don't even understand? Really now.

One day you'll embrace your inner child, my friend. And then you'll love this film.
Point one: TOUCHE
Point two: What I should have said was mediocre acting by Toho standards... most of those films have atrocious acting by film standards in general yet I still love them.
Point three: But... when I was a child I didn't like it. Perhaps one day I'll like it, I won't limit myself. But, for the time being (and for a while to come) I can't stand the film. :/

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

A question: was there only one English dub of Godzilla's Revenge?

I ask because it's sandwiched between films that I know had different AIP and International dubs (Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, & Destroy All Monsters before and Space Amoeba & Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster after) and because... well, I'm watching the movie for the first time since I was a kid, and I don't remember the dubbing being this BAD.
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Yes, apparently Toho had a falling out with Bill Ross, the head man at Frontier Enterprises (who did the International dubs for EBIRAH, SON OF G, and DAM). DAM was the last Godzilla film that was dubbed by Frontier, before Toho began having their films dubbed in Hong Kong by CCL (Corporate Communications Ltd). They've dubbed every Godzilla film since HEDORAH, except for GODZILLA 1985 (which was done by Ryder sound, where MONSTER ZERO was dubbed) RETURN OF GODZILLA (84'), and Sony's dub for GODZILLA 2000.

Here's a topic a while back at the MZ boards regarding you're exact question.

http://www.clubtokyo.org/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=16709
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

^ Thanks!

I'm not sure how I feel about the movie as a whole, but I still liked the fights with Gabara, gigantic pussy though he is. I also totally forgot about the funky intro music until it started up; it's much better than the song from the Japanese version.
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."

godzillafan
Samurai

Post by godzillafan »

its just spoilers to son of godzilla and godzilla vs the sea monster
kaiju fan for life

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

JVM wrote:Grossly overrated and IMHO the worst of the Japanese Godzilla films because it really has little to offer besides it's lesson. Ichiro and the other children are pretty weird, the lesson is poorly shown, stock footage is grossly overused, Minilla sounds like Barney the Dinosaur and Gabara comes out looking like a pickle with hair.
I...love.....you! :huge:
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Kubo
Sazer

All Monsters Attack: Bad, Badder, or Best?

Post by Kubo »

What's your take on All Monsters Attack (Godzilla's Revenge [on who I have no idea])?
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Mr. Clean
Yojimbo

Re: All Monsters Attack: Bad, Badder, or Best?

Post by Mr. Clean »

A really fine film that often gets unfairly trashed for being SO different than the rest. I actually think the stock footage since, youn know, it's a boy's dream, so of course he's just remembering his favorite GOdzilla moments and prjecting himself in the middle. It makes sense. It's not my favorite by any means, but I appreciate it as a unique stand alone. Also, I just LOVED this film when I was younger.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I think a misconception is that because some of us defend the film means we think it's good, or that we even like the film. I think there is far to much hate for it; the film is a D+ at best, but people go around bashing it likes it an F. It should get the credit it deserves.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Ultraman Omega
Monsterland Worker

Post by Ultraman Omega »

It's really not a great movie. But, like most bad films, it does have a few redeeming qualities.

1. It's fun to watch, as long as you don't think about it too much.

2. Has some awesomely bizarre quotes and scenes (Gabara catapult, anyone?)

3. This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjcfiYH38pA

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Can't stand it. Never could. Please not the opinion is not based on the film's merits, or lack thereof depending on your opinion. It just bored me to tears. The only scenes I actually enjoyed were the Gabara scenes. The rest of it, while it may make sense being as how it's a boy's dream, was mostly just the stock footage which I'd already seen a million times. If I wanted to watch those movies, I'd have watched those movies.

I do believe it's a garbage film and one of the worst of the series, but, taking all things into account, it could've been a lot worse than it was. The only reason I actually rank this film lower than Megalon is because Megalon is one of my type five favorite Showa monsters.
Proud father, husband, and son.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Love it, hilariously weird and charming. Not a classic film, but ridiculously fun and watchable. It's become a favorite among my friends too.
Haters gonna hate

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

I think Revenge is an okay film that gets attacked a lot more than it should. Is it my favorite, or even in my top ten? No. Do I think it's one of the best? No. Do I think it's a great film? Again, no. But it's certainly not the absolute worst of the Godzilla franchise like it's made out to be. It's just a short, entertaining film that makes the best out of what it has. There are a lot of Godzilla films I'd rather watch over it, but I'd also take it over several others.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

i already said what i think about this movie hundreds of times and i say that it is my least favorite Godzilla movie.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I'm pretty neutral on this film. I guess that's because there's some much stock footage, it doesn't feel distinct to me. Gabara's interesting for his role as a kaiju-sized bully though.

But actually, this is my kid cousin's favorite Godzilla movie. Not sure why.