Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Post by Gothicserpent »

Godzillian wrote:One of the big problems for me is a lack of tension in the battles. Godzilla is far more powerful than everything in the film. Sure he had a great fight with Ebirah but the tension of him being dragged underwater doesn't really hit home for me since he is a known sea creature
I disagree on the battles being great. I think they could have used Ebirah's aquatic nature more. After he drags Godzilla under, have him overwhelm him with superior swimming skills. Sorta like in Gamera vs Zigra.

There's nothing wrong with Godzilla fighting a weaker opponent as long as the fight is good. Just look at his fight against the Kamacuras. But I feel like the Ebirah fights could have been much more unique.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

This is honestly one of my all-time favorites. I LOVE the human cast in this one, I like how each character stands out and each has at least one moment of the film to themselves. Nobody is really treated as a third/fourth/fifth wheel, everyone has a purpose and shines in their roles. This might be one of my favorite Akira Takarada roles, honestly maybe even surpassing Ogata in G54. He’s amazing as Yoshimira, he makes a great antihero and I love his resourcefulness when it comes to sneaking around Letchi Island. Akihiko Hirata and Jun Tazaki are also great to watch and the concept of the Red Bamboo is honestly really intriguing and I hope it gets revisited some day. Kumi Mizuno is pretty great here but her best role is probably still Namikawa or Sekiguchi from Matango.

I really like how the film treats Godzilla, he’s not necessarily a purely heroic figure and is seen more as a necessary evil to defeat the Red Bamboo. I like how everyone still manages to cheer for him at the end to escape the island’s destruction. I actually didn’t notice too many Kong similarities, despite that being a common criticism. The scene with Dayo isn’t really Kong-like because Godzilla doesn’t really seem infatuated with her so much as he is just curious about a human being so close to him. Even when he “saves” her from the Giant Condor, it’s portrayed more as a territorial thing more than anything.

Ebirah isn’t too bad of an opponent, even though the focus of the film isn’t really on him. I enjoyed the fights with Godzilla, the scenes with him attacking the escaped islanders, his design and the method of keeping him at bay was unique. I liked how he “turned” on the Red Bamboo at the end, it was a really clever sequence.

The music is also fantastic and this might be my favorite Masaru Sato score yet. I love the surf rock elements to it. The only score related critique I have is the track that plays during Godzilla’s assault on the jets seems a little too upbeat.

So yeah, definitely a top 10 film for me. I love it.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

^ Oooh I love the post above.

This too is one of my all time favorites, such an underrated entry in the series and it really deserves more praise than it gets.
Facts don't care about your feelings

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

One of my favorite as well.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Post by Freebleeper »

I completely agree with you UltramanGoji when talking about the role of Akria Takarada as he was superb and great all around the film.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I think Rock Lobster should be recognized as the Western World's theme of the movie.
For Emperor and Empire!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

VoyagerGoji wrote:I think Rock Lobster should be recognized as the Western World's theme of the movie.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Only if they show Godzilla being attacked by a B-52.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

edgaguirus wrote:Only if they show Godzilla being attacked by a B-52.
:lol:
For Emperor and Empire!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

As much as I love Takarada (Probably my favorite Godzilla Series role of his), can anyone else (At least the three people on here that watch stuff beyond Kaiju movies) see Makoto Sato in the part? He's definitely the one Toho "star player" I wish we saw in a Godzilla movie, and this is probably the role I could see him slipping into best.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I can see it. Imagine the intensity he would have brought to the part. He had intense physical presence and energy (at times almost like Mifune) that would have been totally different than Takarada’s kinda laid back Yoshimura. I’m not sure it would have suited the movie the way Takarada’s performance does, but it would have been fun to see something like that in the Godzilla series.

Added in 1 month 13 days 2 hours 3 minutes 27 seconds:
I posted this in the SoG thread in response to a question there, but it concerns this movie, so...

I think most fans would agree Kumi Mizuno's Dayo was an iconic character (not as much as Namikawa, but still), but she wasn't even originally cast in the part. The original Dayo was Noriko Takahashi. Unfortunately for Takahashi, however, appendicitis struck and Mizuno was cast as a replacement so shooting could continue. I wasn't aware that Takahashi had even made it in front of the cameras but sure enough she did, and there are even a couple of pictures of her in the same attire Mizuno's Dayo wore.

Resized Image

Japanese Tumblr where I found these pics.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Noriko Takahashi still sort of got her chance at playing Dayo in episode 23 of Ultra Q, where she plays a similar "island girl" (Alongside Akira Kubo, no less).
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

And she still was menaced by a sea monster; An octopus.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Just finished up watching this one for the first time in a few years and it's definitely a lot more fun than I remember. Might actually be my favorite Jun Fukuda Godzilla film now. Can't think of a single serious complaint or gripe about the movie on my end of things.

Also, Mothra's twitchy antenna when she first wakes up is really cute.
Resized Image

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

HAPPY 55th ANNIVERSARY!
This great family friendly adventure movie featuring Godzilla, Ebirah, Mothra and the giant condor is getting 55 years old. Time to rewatch it, right?
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Happy 55 to one of the best. I'll be seeing it sometime this week.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

This movie would have been better had they managed to use Kong like they wanted. Nothing against Ebirah as a character has some charm but as far as main Godzilla villains goes he has to be one of the least believable threats he's ever had. Though credit where it is due it is I believe the first time Godzilla showed an underwater fight which we need more of than we get.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

godjacob wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:28 pm This movie would have been better had they managed to use Kong like they wanted. Nothing against Ebirah as a character has some charm but as far as main Godzilla villains goes he has to be one of the least believable threats he's ever had. Though credit where it is due it is I believe the first time Godzilla showed an underwater fight which we need more of than we get.
Yes, and it's also the first film in the series where we hear Godzilla's heart beating and where we see him fall asleep (twice).

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Honestly, in the context of what came before (Anguirus, King Kong, Mothra), I don't think a giant crustacean is that unbelievable as a threat.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Anguirus was an armored dinosaur, King Kong an icon of the genre and Mothra an actual goddess. There is a bit step down from them to a giant lobster.

Though I hold the view Godzilla losing to the Mothra Larva is the most embarrassing defeat he ever had. So...