Monster Discussion #38: Titanosaurus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
The One and Only
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion #38: Titanosaurus

Post by The One and Only »

Always thought Titano was just concussed from both the supersonic oscillator ,and the Big-G's last big blasted before he went over the cliffside. And swam off to quiter pastures.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Yeah, I always just assumed he was like, "Holy shit! Where am I? Why is this guy beating the crap out of me? Shit, I'm getting out of here!"

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

It's not specifically mentioned whether he died or was merely unconscious. However, I get the feeling the intention was that he was killed.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Godzilla's breath did kinda' shoot and explode out his back. I've no idea what kind of damage that entails, but considering he wasn't in Monsterland and how much of an effective monster he would be to the Kilaak's, I'd imagine he's dead.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

TokyoVigilante wrote:Godzilla's breath did kinda' shoot and explode out his back. I've no idea what kind of damage that entails, but considering he wasn't in Monsterland and how much of an effective monster he would be to the Kilaak's, I'd imagine he's dead.
Well to be fair, I'm sure TOHO hadn't thought of Titanosaurus at the time of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS. I never thought he was dead, should have appeared in a film after TOM.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Destroyer wrote:
TokyoVigilante wrote:Godzilla's breath did kinda' shoot and explode out his back. I've no idea what kind of damage that entails, but considering he wasn't in Monsterland and how much of an effective monster he would be to the Kilaak's, I'd imagine he's dead.
Well to be fair, I'm sure TOHO hadn't thought of Titanosaurus at the time of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS. I never thought he was dead, should have appeared in a film after TOM.
Regardless of the continuity/DAM taking place in the future bit, you have to work with what is presented. In ToMG we see Titanosaurus being dealt probably mortal wounds and some twenty-five years later, he is nowhere to be found on Monsterland.

It's also noteworthy that Dr. Mafune had found Titanosaurus in underwater trenches off the coast of Ogasawara Island (the location of Monsterland) while researching ways of growing sustainable crops underwater, which was an element of the DAM screenplay that didn't make it to screen for budgeting reasons. If Titanosaurus was alive and anywhere, it'd be in Monsterland.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

SCI-FI FANZ wrote:The monster Titanosaurus is female. The monsters combining becoming "Titans" is demonstrated in Katsura Mifune (female and cyborg).
The hell are you talking about? The "Titans" idea was scrapped before the film even went into production.

There is also nothing in the film that suggest Titanosaurs is female.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

i never viewed the year for DAM as canon for the latter showa era.
i would assume Jet Jaguar would be around and Megalon would have been on Monsterland too
You have your fear which might become reality. And you have Godzilla, which *is* reality.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

gojimantis wrote:
i never viewed the year for DAM as canon for the latter showa era.
i would assume Jet Jaguar would be around and Megalon would have been on Monsterland too
it's kinda' pointless to seriously talk about Showa continuity and decide that you want to ignore one of the few instances where we get a solid, concrete date and setting. Any of the other films could pretty much take place in any order (despite that the release order is generally the easiest and most sensible), but DAM as being in 1999 and Godzilla first appearing in 1954 are the beginnings and endings you have to play with. Not only does it fit technologically (if DAM didn't take place as the last event, why was Tokyo no longer an automated fortress?) but just looking at the Showa era thematically; it's poetic and great that this series ends with a world where monsters and man co-exist in peace and the monsters are studied to give back to the world that they caused so much destruction in (and finally were able to vanquish King Ghidorah once and for all).

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Post by Patrick Alan »

When I was little, I used to think he was a giant seahorse dinosaur! I like Titanosaurus
The world would be so much nicer if people only used guns on themselves.

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

Yeah, I know what you mean, a lot of folks I've come across said he looked like a sea horse on crack, but hey, he's still an awesome monster.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

Llante
Monsterland Worker

Post by Llante »

Titanosaurus is a pretty neat monster.

For most of the 70s, we had been getting oddity after oddity when it comes to kaiju, people,and plot. Gigan the space chicken, cockroaches from outer space, a cockroach god, a creepily smirking robot, and a pile of sludge were some of the strange creations that populated the 1970s. Even the 'normal' kaiju were not quite so normal. Godzilla got stranger and more goofy with each movie while King Caeser's interior was made of stone. In fact, the only truly normal kaiju in the period was Anguirus (Rodan doesn't count and King Ghidorah was always a strange creature).

That's not to say that I dislike these films or creations, I actually like them a lot for how creative and energized the movies of the time were. However, Titanosaurus was a nice break from the strangeness. He got more in touch with the 60s Godzilla films by being a monster that was just a simple, tooth and claw reliant, tragic, and dinosaur-like kaiju.

However, he wasn't totally an early, down to earth kaiju. This monster also had a dash of the strangeness that really characterizes this era. He had his elephant like roar, his seahorse appearance, and don't forget the pepperoni skin.

In fact, what made Titanosaurus the perfect villain (alongside Mechagodzilla) for the end of the Showa era was how he seemed like the strangeness and the tragedy of the Showa films coming together into this unique creation. Combine that with the recurring, invincible juggernaut, hi tech aspects of Mechagodzilla, back them up with the mad scientist, tragic heroine, and the best alien race of the Showa era and you have a recipe for a decent cast of villains to end such a great age on. It feels really satisfying.

Even though we never really got to see Titanosaurus' personality because of the constant mind control he was under, we still got a good sense of the tragedy behind his character and that he is a unique character, not just a pawn. Talk about unique, he is maybe the third totally peaceful kaiju after Mothra and Gamera.

However, he wasn't just a great and endearing character, his fight scenes kicked ass. Every time Titanosaurus came out to play, an excellent fight scene ensued. For example, I found it pretty neat when Dr. Mafune let his anger get the best of him and let Titanosaurus loose which
resulted in the awesome scene where he is stomping through the city at night. Especially cool is when he jumps into the planes. Not fly into it, not shoot it down with a beam, not confuse it, he actually jumps high and fast enough to take down military jets. And, how could I forget his tail fin. That was a neat long range ability that wasn't just a beam or stock footage, it was a new and interesting ability.

The best fight scene of all and what cements Titanosaurus as one of the greats is when he just gives Godzilla an absolute beat down. Even though Godzilla did put up a decent fight and Titanosaurus had Mechagodzilla providing the occasional missile barrage, it was mostly the red dino who was giving Godzilla a good fight, even tougher than Kong, Ghidorah, or Gigan's respective fights.

What helps Titanosaurus is that he had a decent movie, but he doesn't solely rely on the movie to be cool. He is in his own right a cool monster. Definitely a monster I would want to see again in a movie.

devingodzilla
Yojimbo

Post by devingodzilla »

i dont want to see titanasaurus in another movie they will just f*ck up his design like they did with mechagodzilla. I only like the 1974-1975 mechagodzilla suits.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Tyler wrote:This would make for a good slight redesign of him
The face kinda reminds me of Perfect Chaos from Sonic Adventure.

Titanomajin
Samurai

Post by Titanomajin »

I love Titanosaurus, he would have been a great addition to the Versus and Millenium series.

Titanomajin
Samurai

Post by Titanomajin »

NSZ wrote:
Titanomajin wrote:I love Titanosaurus, he would have been a great addition to the Versus and Millenium series.
Titanosaurus as a small armed, thunder thighed, beam spammer with a recycled Rodan roar? No thanks.
Titanosaurus is a beam spammer? With what beam?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Tyler wrote:This would make for a good slight redesign of him.
*Art Adams illustration*
Actually, I disagree. Adams' design looks too hefty. I prefer Titanosaurus being leaner in build.

Titanomajin
Samurai

Post by Titanomajin »

Ohhh ahritey.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

I always like titanasauarus, as a kid it was kinda
For me at least, one of the cooler monsters. I don't no why tho. Maybe it was the red texture of the skin or his unusual abilities, I don't no I just liked him alot.
Resized Image

Titanomajin
Samurai

Post by Titanomajin »

Beef Bigshot wrote:I always like titanasauarus, as a kid it was kinda
For me at least, one of the cooler monsters. I don't no why tho. Maybe it was the red texture of the skin or his unusual abilities, I don't no I just liked him alot.
Same here, for whatever reason i found him fascinating and awesome.