Monster Discussion #34: Megalon

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #34: Megalon

Post by edgaguirus »

His multiple weapons make him perfect for games.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

The more I hear it, the more I like his roar.

Although it has been used, somewhat with Baragon, Varan, Gorosaurus, Gaira and the original Godzilla, it is rather cool.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Aw yea
You gotta love some Megalon, although he always seemed like a monster Ultraman would have fought or something xD
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Well, considering its co-stars, is no wonder something like him didn't appear if he already didn't so.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Really wish somebody would resurrect Megalon. Or at least release more figures of him.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Really wish somebody would resurrect Megalon. Or at least release more figures of him.
I wish he'd get the SHMA treatment, rotatable drill action, sign me up!
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I doubt Megalon will get any serious consideration for a future film. It's a great design and character, but the kaiju hasn't been seen since his first film. Unless a director really likes Megalon, all Megalon may get is a figure and video game appearances.

For a figure, I was thinking a light up horn.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Ridley
Ronin

Post by Ridley »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Really wish somebody would resurrect Megalon. Or at least release more figures of him.
I wish he'd get the SHMA treatment, rotatable drill action, sign me up!
I love him, I remember being a small child and begging my parents to stay up into the night to catch reruns of all the classic Showa films. I seem to remember the more ridiculous monster suits getting me the most excited, so I would welcome a highly detailed articulated Megalon!

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Come to think of it, I think I've only seen one Megalon figure ever, that being a 90's ('92, maybe?) Bandai vinyl.

OT: I've always loved this movie as it is one of the first I remember seeing, and I still do to this day. My only gripe with it (as with Godzilla vs. Gigan) is that is uses loads of stock footage.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

edgaguirus wrote:I doubt Megalon will get any serious consideration for a future film. It's a great design and character, but the kaiju hasn't been seen since his first film. Unless a director really likes Megalon, all Megalon may get is a figure and video game appearances.

For a figure, I was thinking a light up horn.
I think most people think of him as too fantastical to add him to something. That or the fact that he comes from one of the cheesiest (debatably) movies in the entire franchise, it makes some sort of sense to see him as such.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Great kaiju, unique design and powers, and brimming with personality. Would love for him to come back some day.

I’ve always wondered how exactly he and the Seatopians came to be connected, I know supplementary material has revealed he’s actually a natural creature who originates from deep underground and is the way he is because of the core’s magnetism, but nothing’s ever been said on how the Seatopians came to view him as a god, and, more importantly, why he goes along with it.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:02 pm Great kaiju, unique design and powers, and brimming with personality. Would love for him to come back some day.

I’ve always wondered how exactly he and the Seatopians came to be connected, I know supplementary material has revealed he’s actually a natural creature who originates from deep underground and is the way he is because of the core’s magnetism, but nothing’s ever been said on how the Seatopians came to view him as a god, and, more importantly, why he goes along with it.

People have sometimes worshiped things they fear, deifying the force, animal, or such in a way to appease or harness it. It could be the case here. The Seatopians found Megalon when they went below the surface, and then began to honor the kaiju out of fear. As to why Megalon goes with it, I don't know. We never see any offerings made to Megalon.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Could just be that subservience is Megalon's natural state. He doesn't seem able to function well without Jet Jaguar or Gigan directing him.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:06 am Could just be that subservience is Megalon's natural state. He doesn't seem able to function well without Jet Jaguar or Gigan directing him.
Makes sense, the Seatopians see this awe-inspiring colossus and decide to worship it out of fear and reverence, and he goes along with it because it’s something to actually focus on for a sense of direction instead of just aimlessly wandering around the underground.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:03 am
JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:06 am Could just be that subservience is Megalon's natural state. He doesn't seem able to function well without Jet Jaguar or Gigan directing him.
Makes sense, the Seatopians see this awe-inspiring colossus and decide to worship it out of fear and reverence, and he goes along with it because it’s something to actually focus on for a sense of direction instead of just aimlessly wandering around the underground.
No… Laughs maniacally

You are all too foolish to see Megalon’s true character. Only I, a disciple of seatopia, can truly know his power. Megalon may seem clueless, but he’s, in fact, calling all the shots. Gigan thinks he’s directing Megalon, but in truth, Megalon is directing Gigan to think he’s directing him. Megalon has orchestrated every major event in world history, human and kaiju.

You need proof? Why do you think the Garogas were able to catch Gigan but not Megalon? Megalon sold Gigan off to the Garogas. Not enough? Who is the only Showa villain who doesn’t die in the end? That’s right, Megalon. Megalon is the reason why Gigan and Ghidorah met gruesome fates. He sold them off the Garogas and Xilliens, just so he could further his master plan.

Megalon, ever since 1973, has mastered inter-dimensional travel, and will be coming to a cinema near you. That’s right, Megalon is coming back with a vengeance to kill every single MV and Reiwa character, to finally proclaim his seat at the right hand of Blundergosh, so the two can finally slay Adam in a galaxy-wide nuclear war.

Trust me, I’m also an Interpol Agent.
Last edited by Voyager on Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Voyager wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:02 pm Megalon, ever since 1973, has mastered inter-dimensional travel, and will be coming to a cinema near you. That’s right, Megalon is coming back with a vengeance to kill every single MV and Reiwa character, to finally proclaim his seat at the right hand of Blundergosh, so the two can finally slay Adam in a galaxy-wide nuclear war.

Easy with the Evangelion spoilers bud!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:49 am
Voyager wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:02 pm Megalon, ever since 1973, has mastered inter-dimensional travel, and will be coming to a cinema near you. That’s right, Megalon is coming back with a vengeance to kill every single MV and Reiwa character, to finally proclaim his seat at the right hand of Blundergosh, so the two can finally slay Adam in a galaxy-wide nuclear war.

Easy with the Evangelion spoilers bud!
Spoiler:
Atleast I didn’t spoil the Dolphin Boat Eva Unit.
For Emperor and Empire!

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

Easily one of my favorite kaiju. He's got a great, varied assortment of weaponry without being a mech or even a cyborg, his roars are awesome, the suit is detailed (idk, it doesn't look like crap to me) and he's got a ton of character. His blank confusion at seeing JJ grow to human size (after which he gets pummeled) gives me a nice chuckle every time. Perhaps even better, he works great in practically any Godzilla game. This guy needs so badly to be brought back, which shouldn't even be a problem since he didn't die.
What I want to know is, how in the absolute heck does he spin his drills together?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Follinollante wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:58 am Easily one of my favorite kaiju. He's got a great, varied assortment of weaponry without being a mech or even a cyborg, his roars are awesome, the suit is detailed (idk, it doesn't look like crap to me) and he's got a ton of character. His blank confusion at seeing JJ grow to human size (after which he gets pummeled) gives me a nice chuckle every time. Perhaps even better, he works great in practically any Godzilla game. This guy needs so badly to be brought back, which shouldn't even be a problem since he didn't die.
What I want to know is, how in the absolute heck does he spin his drills together?
Never considered that Megalon has such a unique moveset, but you're right. He has melee attacks and can strike from both underground and from the air, but also has a nice amount of long range weaponry. His napalm grenade attack is really unique, I can't think of any other monsters that do something similar. And while his lightning horn beam is an excuse to reuse Ghidorah stock footage, it is powerful. Good points about Megalon being unique, despite not being a cyborg.

I personally find the Megalon suit a bit awkward. To me the head is a little too big, and sometimes the "flaps" of Megalon can flow. too much when the monster is airborne. However, I agree the back/shell is beautiful.

Megalon for some reason, sort of gets underplayed/viewed as lesser than Gigan and the other monsters of the late showa era, but he's still got a lot going for him. He's still a "super monster" -monsters that have beams, aren't frail, and can fly- alongside King Ghidorah, Hedorah, Gigan, Mechagodzilla, Spacegodzilla, and Destoroyah, but maybe out of all those he's the most underappreciated.

I don't think Megalon needs to come back, but I wouldn't be against it. He's definitely eclipsed by JJ in terms of recognizeability and popularity.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Cool new Megalon merch drawn by Christian Gonzalez (Seaguns):

https://twitter.com/seaguns_art/status/ ... 22/video/2
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Wed May 17, 2023 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)