Talkback: The War of the Gargantuas (1966)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Re: Talkback: The War of the Gargantuas (1966)

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Sorry for the bump, but I'm curious what the titles and credits look like for the International cut of the film. Thanks!
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:Sorry for the bump, but I'm curious what the titles and credits look like for the International cut of the film. Thanks!
Rest of credits

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Space Hunter M wrote:
GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:Sorry for the bump, but I'm curious what the titles and credits look like for the International cut of the film. Thanks!
http://s17.postimg.org/6ycs2ukan/vlcsna ... 13s112.png
Rest of credits
Cool! Thank you so much!
HayesAJones wrote:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

This is a favorite of mine, and has been for a long time.
I'm a big fan of the eerie atmosphere in some scenes, and Sanda just has this soft side you can't help but feel sorry for. And it's even cooler with its connection to Frankenstein vs. Baragon.
Also the debut of the maser tanks is a badass feats.
Also cool to know this movies part of the Godzilla Millennium timeline.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

The first time I knew about the movie was because of GxMG. It was really exciting to see one of the Gargantuans in a small but important part of the plot of a Godzilla movie in that way. Even if it the particular Gargantua was known on it as "Big Foot Gaira" it was pretty cool.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

One of my favorite kaiju films. Personally I prefer the American cut since I think that it being a sequel to FCTW is one of the weaker aspects of the film.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Godzillian wrote:I think that it being a sequel to FCTW is one of the weaker aspects of the film.

I disagree with that but I'm genuinely curious as to why you feel that way...?
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Captain Aktion wrote:
Godzillian wrote:I think that it being a sequel to FCTW is one of the weaker aspects of the film.

I disagree with that but I'm genuinely curious as to why you feel that way...?
I'm curious too, I thought it was cool to see them connect the two films
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I only saw this for the first time 2 or so years back. It was okay. Nice to finally see the movie where the Masers made their debut. Actually can I say the masers had great "personality" here? Yes I said the masers are great "characters", you see them move a lot more in this movie than most of the Godzilla films, they really brought them to life so they actually looked like weapons being controlled by humans instead of stiff props. Also it's intresting we remember Rodan and Mothra had their own films before crossing over into Godzilla films, but I think people forget that the same is true with the masers, we are so used to them being in Godzilla films (12 so far, I think) that we forget they first appeared in a movie that had nothing to do with them

As for the Gargantuas, mammal monsters are rare, so it's nice to get a movie where we have two of them. And it's an interesting concept that one is technically a sea monster. It's nice to get fast paced fights where the actors could run, since the suits weren't bulky and we can also see them emote through their faces as well as their body language instead of only their body language.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Agreed. Sanda's backstory is just a retcon of Frankenstein's anyway, so there's no actual connection.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Well it's used more as just an easy way to explain the gargantuas that they are the spawn of Frankenstein. It takes away from the uniqueness of the kaiju and film.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

It does give the movie some sense though. With the Gargantuans being able to regenarate and such.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

I like to think of WotG taking a significant jump forward in time between the films. Sure, it doesn't look that far in the future, but let's say...ten years?

It helps explain the retreading of the backstory and Kumi Mizuno being two different characters who are exactly the same a little better; they really are two separate stories, and it makes all the tech that gets brought out understandable. I dunno though, it's just something I kind of keep in the back of my head that doesn't hurt or mess with anything but helps soften some of the rough edges regarding its own timeline.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I like that WOG is a sequel, it weirdly becomes a mini kaiju universe seperate from Godzilla cannon(though of course Baragon shows up later).

But like all of these monsters share the small universe and it's cool:
Frankenstien
Gaira
Sanda
Oodako
Baragon
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Just finished watching a cut of the International Dub. It's quite an interesting find. I was shocked how much the American version re-arranged the opening scene, with Dr Stewart showing up much later in the International cut. Also, the Operation L March fits well with the military scenes, something which I didn't think it would do. I always thought it would sound to slow or unengergetic, but it fits rather well. One thing that surprised me was how much of Russ Tamblyns seemingly offhand remarks, like how he tried to call the SPCA, were kept in the International cut. Overall, a very cool copy of the film!
HayesAJones wrote:

Reverse-Flash
Yojimbo

Post by Reverse-Flash »

So I've noticed that Gaira seems to be the more popular of the two Gargantuas. Why do you guys think Gaira is more popular than Sanda? We don't seem to have too many Toho monsters that are usually compassionate and helpful towards humanity. Any ideas on how you would make Sanda a more popular and interesting character?
#Reverse-Flash for Mod

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Reverse-Flash wrote:So I've noticed that Gaira seems to be the more popular of the two Gargantuas. Why do you guys think Gaira is more popular than Sanda? We don't seem to have too many Toho monsters that are usually compassionate and helpful towards humanity. Any ideas on how you would make Sanda a more popular and interesting character?
You're not the only one that noticed that. I also too believe he is more popular by many factors depending on the person.

Maybe because of who portrays him (Same suit actor as Godzilla and other kaiju from the series), is the most-monstrous of the two Gargantuas (a true monster), has more importance (debatable, but still) in the plot, is the more appealing to just watch because of the destruction scenes, the one that interacts with the most of humans in terms of action, etc.

Not that Sanda is not popular/good, but Gaira is just that much memorable.

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

Giga Kaiju wrote:
Reverse-Flash wrote:So I've noticed that Gaira seems to be the more popular of the two Gargantuas. Why do you guys think Gaira is more popular than Sanda? We don't seem to have too many Toho monsters that are usually compassionate and helpful towards humanity. Any ideas on how you would make Sanda a more popular and interesting character?
You're not the only one that noticed that. I also too believe he is more popular by many factors depending on the person.

Maybe because of who portrays him (Same suit actor as Godzilla and other kaiju from the series), is the most-monstrous of the two Gargantuas (a true monster), has more importance (debatable, but still) in the plot, is the more appealing to just watch because of the destruction scenes, the one that interacts with the most of humans in terms of action, etc.

Not that Sanda is not popular/good, but Gaira is just that much memorable.
I like Gaira more because he had the most memorable scenes, he was a great villain! Between him grabbing the "Words get stuck in my Throat Girl" and the absolutely gorgeous Haneda Airport scene he really stuck out!

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Dannybeane wrote: I like Gaira more because he had the most memorable scenes, he was a great villain! Between him grabbing the "Words get stuck in my Throat Girl" and the absolutely gorgeous Haneda Airport scene he really stuck out!
Those moments two, yeah. Two of the most recognizable, indeed.
No I have not. I'd have to give it a shot, though. ;)