Showa Godzilla's Most Outrageous Feat

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Your options (2) are…

Shie Dance (Invasion of Astro-Monster)
11%
Backwards Flight (Godzilla vs Hedorah)
47%
Sliding Dropkick (Godzilla vs Megalon)
24%
Magnetic Powers (Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla)
18%

Total votes: 62

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Showa Godzilla's Most Outrageous Feat

Post by tbeasley »

In what is quite possibly the most important poll in the history of this site, you must choose two (2) of Showa Godzilla's most outrageous feats.

Shie Dance in Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965) -

Backwards Flight in Godzilla vs Hedorah (1971) -

Sliding Dropkick in Godzilla vs Megalon (1973) -

Magnetic Powers in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974) -

Choose wisely.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Showa Godzilla's Most Outrageous Feat

Post by Jermobooka »

How about all of them? Showa has defied the laws of physics so many times that i’m surprised we don’t count him as the strongest Godzilla :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Everybody talks about magnets and dropkicks, I wanna talk about how he learned how to box
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Magnetism, pretty easily. The tail slide isn't too big a stretch considering that Godzilla defies physics by existing, and flight... you know, he has the atomic ray to use as a rocket booster, so... that's kind of halfway understandable...

Getting struck by lightning and turning into a living magnet is about as out there as it gets, though. I know there's a half-baked justification for it based in nuclear physics or something, but still.

The shie dance doesn't belong on this list. It's a perfectly plausible thing for a giant radioactive dinosaur to do upon visiting another planet for the first time.

I love this genre.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

At least the magnetism, cheesy as it may be, was cheesy in a badass way.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Lol its got to be the flying scene. So epic and ridiculous you can't help but love it.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

I had to go with the backwards flight and the sliding tail drop kick. The flying scene doesn't need an explanation as to why I picked it :lol:, as for the tail dropkick it's the fact that he slides so damn far while he maintains the same pose before hitting Megalon. The magnetism is weird as hell but somehow it works, the drop kick is just plain silly but I love it. I love all of these moments honestly, they all add to Showa Godzilla being the best Kaiju there is! :Godzilla68:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Look, I know Godzilla dancing or sliding on his tail for a dropkick was mind-boggling, but when he uses magnetic abilities against his machine doppelgänger, something about that was more absurd to me. Especially since it’s a power he never ever displays again. The others could be written off as cheesy schlock fun, but this one was a legitimate power that never got addressed again in any media I’m aware of. That power always stuck out to me as perhaps the wildest.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Backwards Flight seems to be the winner -

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Both flight and magnetism are unbelievable feats for Godzilla. The atomic ray as propulsion is plausible, but he has no aerodynamics and is too heavy. However, it's not as surprising as Godzilla turning into an electromagnet. That came out of nowhere, but it was the only way to stop MG.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I was always under the impression that the magnetic force in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla came from a combination of the electrical energy Godzilla absorbed from the lightning bolts in the electrical storm and the nuclear radiation already in his body. Also, I thought that the first appearance ever of his nuclear pulse was where his back plates were seen glowing extremely bright during the electrical storm after the lightning bolts struck him and he had absorbed the electricity.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue May 11, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I know a feat you forgot to put in: the talking between Godzilla and Anguirus in Godzilla vs. Gigan. That way, you'd have four of the five 1970s films, mainly because Terror of Mechagodzilla didn't have anything.

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

Of those technically flight and magnetism. But I voted for the dance just for sheer silliness.

One of my favorite things kind of like this is where the fairy twins are trying to convince Godzilla & Rodan to help fight Ghidorah and they are translating the monster-speak and say (in the dub) something like "my Godzilla such language." Because, of course, you know the Big G swears up a storm. :-)

- Michael

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Nobody but me thinks it's whacky that Godzilla can float like a butterfly and sting like a bee? I'm not complaining mind you. I just wanna know when he took time to train with Ali! :lol:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

I chose flying because you'd think it'd have pretty significant implications later on considering; 1: He uses his atomic breath so often, why hasn't it propelled him before? 2. He would surely use it against future enemy flying monsters right? (he doesn't) 3. It makes him seem like Gamera.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

My choice didn't show up from Godzilla vs Hedorah : Somehow grasping the physics behind electricity and engineering so well that he was able to make a beam that could power human equipment he'd never used before and get the voltage JUST RIGHT to not cause it to burn out, or fail to operate. Didn't even use a multimeter...

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Showa G has clearly mastered the arts of civil, chemical, mechanical and electrical engineering.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Wouldn't doubt it
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

2021, 22 years after the final defeat of hostile aliens in the galaxy... Godzilla and his pals become official, law-abiding citizens of Japan, and Godzilla is running for governor of Tokyo.
For Emperor and Empire!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Voyager wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:54 am 2021, 22 years after the final defeat of hostile aliens in the galaxy... Godzilla and his pals become official, law-abiding citizens of Japan, and Godzilla is running for governor of Tokyo.
Isn't this basically Tarantino's Godzilla pitch?