Gojira 1954 Concept Art. girl in claw photo?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Gojira 1954 Concept Art. girl in claw photo?

Post by Bluezilla »

https://godzilla.fandom.com/wiki/Godzil ... m)/Gallery

This concept art has fascinated me since I first saw it in Famous Monsters #114 in 74. I’ve come across it numerous times and have never seen it explained. Anyone have an idea if it’s officially a Toho publicity shot or did it come from the American distribution. The woman appears to be Asian but the still is just so odd. I tried to find it on site but failed.
Last edited by Bluezilla on Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Gojira 1954 Concept Art.

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Whast are you referrin g to

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:48 am Whast are you referrin g to
If you examine it. It looks like a photo of the Godzilla concept statue that’s been cutout. A photo of a girl cutout and inserted in Godzilla’s claw and all composited with a destroyed city background. It’s just a weird publicity still that doesn’t go with any other 54-56 photos I know of.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Bluezilla wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:03 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:48 am Whast are you referrin g to
If you examine it. It looks like a photo of the Godzilla concept statue that’s been cutout. A photo of a girl cutout and inserted in Godzilla’s claw and all composited with a destroyed city background. It’s just a weird publicity still that doesn’t go with any other 54-56 photos I know of.
Okay, I see it now. Very strange and awfully B-movie-esque so maybe it's a publicity still for Godzilla, King of the Monsters?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gojira 1954 Concept Art. girl in claw photo?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It's in the japanese poster too:

What probably happened is that they realized having a woman in his hand like that wouldn't make sense in scale.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Nice find Jelly. I’d never seen that poster. Your probably right. Surprised it even got to the production of a poster stage.
Here is a link to the poster. It isn’t showing in your post https://images.app.goo.gl/uTRHkM4RD6ab3iL56

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Bluezilla wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:07 am Nice find Jelly. I’d never seen that poster. Your probably right. Surprised it even got to the production of a poster stage.
Here is a link to the poster. It isn’t showing in your post https://images.app.goo.gl/uTRHkM4RD6ab3iL56
Also interesting here is the depiction of Serizawa on the left, bearing some horrific looking scars. It creates this impression of parallel universe's version of G'54 that is similar but oh-so-different in a few details like these.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Pkmatrix wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:06 am
Bluezilla wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:07 am Nice find Jelly. I’d never seen that poster. Your probably right. Surprised it even got to the production of a poster stage.
Also interesting here is the depiction of Serizawa on the left, bearing some horrific looking scars. It creates this impression of parallel universe's version of G'54 that is similar but oh-so-different in a few details like these.
Your right. I know I have read descriptions of Serizawa as being heavily scarred but I just thought it meant emotionally from the war. This and description must have been all early production material.