The Battle of Okinawa (1971)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Purzel2205
Samurai

The Battle of Okinawa (1971)

Post by Purzel2205 »

Has anyone seen this film? I never saw anyone talking about it (actually I barely ever see anyone talking about Toho's war movies in general), which is a shame because it's a really great war movie and also one of the only ones by Toho available on English-friendly DVD.

I thought it did a really good job at showing how the violence during the Second World War reached a new peak during its end phase and the absolute fanaticism of the Japanese generals and soldiers but also of the civilians. In a way I think this movie is a great companion piece to Downfall (2004) because of how it depicts the insanity, brutality and tragedy of the last big defensive battle of a falling empire.

Apparently there's also an English dub but like most Toho war movie dubs it hasn't been available since the VHS days and is even harder to find than any of the repressed American Godzilla dubs, even though I'm pretty sure it's a dub produced by Toho themselves.

Any thoughts on the Battle of Okinawa would be appreciated :angel:
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Battle of Okinawa (1971)

Post by Terasawa »

Purzel2205 wrote:Apparently there's also an English dub but like most Toho war movie dubs it hasn't been available since the VHS days and is even harder to find than any of the repressed American Godzilla dubs, even though I'm pretty sure it's a dub produced by Toho themselves.
Yeah, it was produced by Toho for its export version. Like most Toho dubs of this vintage, it was recorded in Hong Kong and the vocal cast is very similar to the one that later recorded Godzilla vs. Gigan. I think its lack of availability owes more to the film's general obscurity in the west more than anything else. It was released on video several times in Europe during the '80s (the source of two distinct copies I have); there's definitely an anti-dubbing bias for movies of this nature/quality in America, which might be a reason why AnimEigo's Region 1 release didn't include it.

I bought a second copy of the dubbed version last year but haven't watched it. I've only seen it once, the better part of a decade ago now. My only remaining impressions are that it's relentlessly depressing, that Masaru Sato's score belies that (note the similarity between the opening theme and his Okinawa melody in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla), and that overall it's not much like the tokusatsu war films Toho was churning out in the '60s and '70s (but, generally speaking, a superior film). I have a better appreciation for Kihachi Okamoto now so I'd like to revisit it, but with the world in such a grim situation at the moment I think I might wait.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

It is a pretty depressing movie, yes. There is no happy ending for any of the characters and while the older Toho war movies weren't always happy either it's still very different in tone compared to something like "Storm over the Pacific / I Bombed Pearl Harbor" from 1960, for example.

I should mention though that I actually haven't watched the full original Japanese cut of the movie, only a German DVD version with around half an hour missing. I'm not sure what exactly is cut but my guess is mostly dialogue since it still had very gruesome scenes that probably wouldn't be in the movie if it was cut for violence.

I just bought a Greek VHS of this movie on ebay, I'm assuming it has the English dub
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Certainly a depressing, pessimistic movie, but I feel a movie about a battle as horrific as the one depicted (One my great-grandfather served in, actually) couldn't be anything but. The scene shown in the trailer with Hideyo Amamoto (who features in nearly all of Okamoto's movies) declaring the island decimated is pretty powerful. Not among my favorite Okamoto films (Those honors go to Blue Christmas, Fort Graveyard, Japan's Longest Day, Epoch of Murder Madness and Samurai Assassin), but a solid entry in his filmography for sure. It's been a few years since I've seen it, and that was before I became too acquainted with Okamoto's work, so a rewatch is needed.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

I never knew this movie even existed. Seems neat at first glance. I doubt it will be a masterpiece but definitely seems worthy of looking further and watching it.