Lost Projects: Godzilla vs. Hitodah

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Gigantis
Sazer

Lost Projects: Godzilla vs. Hitodah

Post by Gigantis »

https://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_roo ... itodah.htm

The lost film many talk about,but not much is known about the film itself. The semi-sequel to Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Banno hatched a film which featured a starfish,mutated by pollution,to come on land and challenge Godzilla himself. It sounds like a fun concept,and Hitodah itself sounds like it could have had a very unique design to him (there's not a lot of starfish themed kaiju around,but that's probably because making a suit/puppet for them would probably be a pain in the butt.) but eventually,Banno opted for a full on sequel to Godzilla vs. Hedorah instead,until Tanaka eventually pulled him entirely. Shame this got scrapped though,i would have loved to see Banno's wacky film making skills come back for another G film.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Re: Lost Projects: Godzilla vs. Hitodah

Post by GmkGoji »

Hitodah sounds like a drunken mispronunciation of Hedorah. But a starfish kaiju sounds like fun.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GmkGoji wrote:Hitodah sounds like a drunken mispronunciation of Hedorah. But a starfish kaiju sounds like fun.
Hitode or ヒトデ is just the word for starfish in Japanese.
It’s just starfish plus the common RA ending for monster names, and taking from Hedorah’s name.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

A starfish kaiju would indeed be interesting to see, but plot wise I don’t see what would have made this anything other than a retread of Godzilla vs Hedorah.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

You know as dumb and obvious as this is, I wouldn't be surprised if the Barem arised as a result of this from Mothra 2. They're awfully design wise seperate from Daghara, and we know that Toho likes incorporating and reusing scrapped ideas (Shokirus for example).
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

If Toho liked using scrapped ideas so much,Bagan would have been in a film by now. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Certain elements of Godzilla vs. Mothra (Mothra making a cocoon on the Diet Building; Mothra flying into space at the film's conclusion) came from either an early draft of Mothra (1961) or the original story the film was based on. I can't remember which one, but both are mentioned in the audio commentary on the Sony releases of the '61 movie.

Toho definitely has drawn from long-unused elements of films before, just as all long-running film studios probably have. There's precedent. I think the Barem similarity is probably coincidental though, since Banno's original starfish monster plan didn't seem to get very far.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:Certain elements of Godzilla vs. Mothra (Mothra making a cocoon on the Diet Building; Mothra flying into space at the film's conclusion) came from either an early draft of Mothra (1961) or the original story the film was based on. I can't remember which one, but both are mentioned in the audio commentary on the Sony releases of the '61 movie.

Toho definitely has drawn from long-unused elements of films before, just as all long-running film studios probably have. There's precedent. I think the Barem similarity is probably coincidental though, since Banno's original starfish monster plan didn't seem to get very far.
I didn't mean just the Barem, but also the plot elements. Prior to Dagahra appearing, the film almost feels like a set-up for a more distinct Hedorah like monster to appear. They have a lot of great imagery with red-tide.

Nothing is definite of course, but I always thought Mothra 2 was weird because it feels like a new take on Hedorah.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Having Barem or Barem like starfish show up before Hitodah does sound like a good way to create build up. A giant starfish would have been an interesting foe.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I wonder how they would've realised the Hitodah creature ub terms of practical effects. A mix of suitmation and stringed tentacles like Gezora, or full-on puppetry like Manda and Kumonga.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)