Is the 2nd Showa Godzilla the older brother?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Re: Is the 2nd Showa Godzilla the older brother?

Post by KingKong2005 »

Wait, so Godzilla 1985 is NOT the 1954 Godzilla, right?
Image Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

KingKong2005 wrote:Wait, so Godzilla 1985 is NOT the 1954 Godzilla, right?
It’s uncertain, at least in the context of that film. Later Heisei movies would make it clear it’s a second Godzilla.

In Godzilla 1985 (the American version) it’s implied that it could be the first Godzilla. (“Thirty years ago they never found any corpse.”)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

miguelnuva wrote:
JesstrK wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote:

So perhaps Godzilla was decimated by the Oxygen destroyer, and the cells or pieces of them remained and regenerated.
Well it happened with GMK Godzilla and apparently GvMegaguirus Godzilla as well, so it's not all that far fetched. Really the only thing keeping it from being canon in the Showaverse is the fact that characters in Godzilla Raids Again explicitly state it's a different Godzilla. However, they never provide any proof of this other than their say-so...so my head canon is that maybe Showa Godzilla is the original Godzilla regenerated, and that the the military and scientists in Raids Again are either ignorant of the regeneration ability and assume it's a different one or...they simply tell themselves and others that it must be a different creature, because they can't bring themselves to acknowledge that, after all of their best efforts and sacrifices, even with the Oxygen Destroyer, the deadliest weapon conceived by man, humanity still couldn't put this beast down for good. That thought is just too horrifying to even consider, therefore it has to be a new Godzilla.
Serizawa never confronted GxM Godzilla and Gmk had supernatural powers helping him regenerate/reincarnate.
Sorry to bump this, but I just came across the codex entry for GxM Godzilla from Godzilla Defense Force, which, as far as I can tell, is supposed to be based on canon information, and it says this is incorrect, GxM Godzilla is the same Godzilla from 1954, he was confronted by the oxygen destroyer, and survived it.
"Godzilla ('00)

From a reimagined sequel to the original Godzilla (1954) where the Oxygen Destroyer failed to kill Godzilla, instead sending the kaiju into decades of hibernation. When Japan began to utilize nuclear energy sources for the nation's power grid, Godzilla returned."

https://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/godzilla ... godzilla00

Seems pretty straightforward to me.
Last edited by JesstrK on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JesstrK wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
JesstrK wrote:
Well it happened with GMK Godzilla and apparently GvMegaguirus Godzilla as well, so it's not all that far fetched. Really the only thing keeping it from being canon in the Showaverse is the fact that characters in Godzilla Raids Again explicitly state it's a different Godzilla. However, they never provide any proof of this other than their say-so...so my head canon is that maybe Showa Godzilla is the original Godzilla regenerated, and that the the military and scientists in Raids Again are either ignorant of the regeneration ability and assume it's a different one or...they simply tell themselves and others that it must be a different creature, because they can't bring themselves to acknowledge that, after all of their best efforts and sacrifices, even with the Oxygen Destroyer, the deadliest weapon conceived by man, humanity still couldn't put this beast down for good. That thought is just too horrifying to even consider, therefore it has to be a new Godzilla.
Serizawa never confronted GxM Godzilla and Gmk had supernatural powers helping him regenerate/reincarnate.
Sorry to bump this, but I just came across the codex entry for GxM Godzilla from Godzilla Defense Force, which, as far as I can tell, is supposed to be based on canon information, and it says this is incorrect, GxM Godzilla is the same Godzilla from 1954, he was confronted by the oxygen destroyer, and survived it.
"Godzilla ('00)

From a reimagined sequel to the original Godzilla (1954) where the Oxygen Destroyer failed to kill Godzilla, instead sending the kaiju into decades of hibernation. When Japan began to utilize nuclear energy sources for the nation's power grid, Godzilla returned."

https://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/godzilla ... godzilla00

Seems pretty straightforward to me.
That's a retcon then. In film it says Godzilla left after the 1954 attack and then reappeared in the 66 and 96 before showing back up in 2000.

That bio makes me feel like whoever wrote had him disappear in 54 and not show back up till the megaguirus film.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I think they're the exact same character honestly.

A tonal shift and regeneration makes sense in the context of Showa. Angurius and Kumonga came back despite "dying." We could accept it because they were children movies.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Older brother? Pfft, everyone knows it was the younger brother.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Showa always came off as the "younger,yet more jokey brother"trope while 54 was the serious more older one so i agree with Corpse that he's the younger of the two.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I actually like to think Showa is Shodai’s younger, irresponsible, more brash brother who “grows up” and matures through the Showa series.
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I agree with Jermo on this one.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:46 am I actually like to think Showa is Shodai’s younger, irresponsible, more brash brother who “grows up” and matures through the Showa series.
Yep. That's what I like to imagine.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

tlyon2
Yojimbo

Post by tlyon2 »

I always thought he was the younger brother of G54' simply because G54 had ears and the younger brother through out the rest of the series did not, that's always been my take away from it.

Edit: I just had to look to see if the 2nd Godzilla from Godzilla Raids again had the ears or not and it looks like he does. But from King Kong vs Godzilla onward they don't seem to be there anymore' I guess we could say they froze off while he was chilling in the ice for seven years.

But I still see G55' as the younger brother regardless if he always had ears or not.
Last edited by tlyon2 on Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Certainly could be the case. One alternative I like is something of a 'Split Timeline' idea that the Showa Timeline and Heisei Timeline are both essentially the same world or at the very least, some similar events happened. The time travel the Futurians pulled caused the two to split in such a way, a lot of things wound up very different and fate itself altered reality like ripples in a pond. So in one timeline, both Godzillasaurs were irradiated at the same time in 1954. In another, one was removed from Lagos island in the 1940s and moved to the Bering Sea; leaving one other individual behind. The left behind individual became the 1954 Godzilla whereas the removed individual, obviously, became the Heisei Godzilla. This means the Heisei Godzilla and Showa Godzilla are essentially alternate versions of the same individual. This idea of time travel warping reality and rewriting history beyond the intended, shaking up the pond, also explains why plenty of Showa kaiju have Heisei counterparts; and some events of the original timeline survived into the Heisei timeline (1954 and, according to some material, The Mysterians still happened I believe).

Why was Japan such a superpower in the Futurian timeline? It was the future Showa era and not only was that Godzilla protecting it from outside monster threats, but all the advanced science we saw in the Showa films gave it an economic booster shot.

In theory this could mean the original 2 Godzilla were brothers or father and son, split by decades as they were but still having the same fate.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Desghidorah wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:54 pm Certainly could be the case. One alternative I like is something of a 'Split Timeline' idea that the Showa Timeline and Heisei Timeline are both essentially the same world or at the very least, some similar events happened. The time travel the Futurians pulled caused the two to split in such a way, a lot of things wound up very different and fate itself altered reality like ripples in a pond. So in one timeline, both Godzillasaurs were irradiated at the same time in 1954. In another, one was removed from Lagos island in the 1940s and moved to the Bering Sea; leaving one other individual behind. The left behind individual became the 1954 Godzilla whereas the removed individual, obviously, became the Heisei Godzilla. This means the Heisei Godzilla and Showa Godzilla are essentially alternate versions of the same individual. This idea of time travel warping reality and rewriting history beyond the intended, shaking up the pond, also explains why plenty of Showa kaiju have Heisei counterparts; and some events of the original timeline survived into the Heisei timeline (1954 and, according to some material, The Mysterians still happened I believe).

Why was Japan such a superpower in the Futurian timeline? It was the future Showa era and not only was that Godzilla protecting it from outside monster threats, but all the advanced science we saw in the Showa films gave it an economic booster shot.

In theory this could mean the original 2 Godzilla were brothers or father and son, split by decades as they were but still having the same fate.
54 and showa were never Godzillasaurs however. Even in the Heisei timeline the 54 Godzilla was always Godzilla and the Heisei was mutated into one. That could be an explanation from why Heisei is so different from Showa Gojis especially since Shodai Goji doesn't have an atomic breath according to Toho.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:35 pm
Desghidorah wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:54 pm Certainly could be the case. One alternative I like is something of a 'Split Timeline' idea that the Showa Timeline and Heisei Timeline are both essentially the same world or at the very least, some similar events happened. The time travel the Futurians pulled caused the two to split in such a way, a lot of things wound up very different and fate itself altered reality like ripples in a pond. So in one timeline, both Godzillasaurs were irradiated at the same time in 1954. In another, one was removed from Lagos island in the 1940s and moved to the Bering Sea; leaving one other individual behind. The left behind individual became the 1954 Godzilla whereas the removed individual, obviously, became the Heisei Godzilla. This means the Heisei Godzilla and Showa Godzilla are essentially alternate versions of the same individual. This idea of time travel warping reality and rewriting history beyond the intended, shaking up the pond, also explains why plenty of Showa kaiju have Heisei counterparts; and some events of the original timeline survived into the Heisei timeline (1954 and, according to some material, The Mysterians still happened I believe).

54 and showa were never Godzillasaurs however. Even in the Heisei timeline the 54 Godzilla was always Godzilla and the Heisei was mutated into one. That could be an explanation from why Heisei is so different from Showa Gojis especially since Shodai Goji doesn't have an atomic breath according to Toho.
Was there some extra material that said Shodai Goji was never the same species? Possibility was always present but I am ignorant if a guide book might have said so. It just seemed to me, the way the Futurians would most easily grab the wrong animal was if they were both the same species; just two different individuals. Otherwise it is a touch odd a dinosaur just happened to mutate to heavily resemble something else entirely.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Desghidorah wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:46 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:35 pm

Was there some extra material that said Shodai Goji was never the same species? Possibility was always present but I am ignorant if a guide book might have said so. It just seemed to me, the way the Futurians would most easily grab the wrong animal was if they were both the same species; just two different individuals. Otherwise it is a touch odd a dinosaur just happened to mutate to heavily resemble something else entirely.
Yes, Shodai Goji has backstory that showed his family and himself being hit by the atomic bomb. The movie itself says he was irradiated and woken by the bomb. Heisei's origins without retconing 54's origins are very confusing.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image