Showa Series: Head Canon & Theories

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Showa Series: Head Canon & Theories

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Erimaki Anguirus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 am - M Space Hunter Nebula is a giant hive of Giant Cockroaches like the ones in Godzilla vs Gigan. They were sent by the Queen Cockroach who is a Cockroach kaiju.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

I have another theory that 1st Gen King Ghidorah was actually part of a species of three headed dragons. Living on his home planet, whatever name it is, before being forced out after losing the battle to win as the king of his species, as a result he began destroying planets, letting out his rage.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I'm sure other people have guessed this one, and it might be true, but I thought it was something to bring up.
That being how the Mothra larva in DAM is the offspring of the Mothra imago from E,HotD, who herself is the larva from G,TTHM.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:00 am I'm sure other people have guessed this one, and it might be true, but I thought it was something to bring up.
That being how the Mothra larva in DAM is the offspring of the Mothra imago from E,HotD, who herself is the larva from G,TTHM.
This is canon as far as I knew.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:30 pm
SonOfGorgo wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:00 am I'm sure other people have guessed this one, and it might be true, but I thought it was something to bring up.
Fair enough
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:15 am
Fair enough
Since there's a great gap between 1966 and 1999/2000, I'd say there had to be at least a few more incarnations of Mothra between those two years. Maybe a lot more.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:13 pm

Fair enough
Since there's a great gap between 1966 and 1999/2000, I'd say there had to be at least a few more incarnations of Mothra between those two years. Maybe a lot more.
Toho says 3rd generation so I guess 2nd gen Mothra just lived much longer than her Mother.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:48 pm
mikelcho wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:13 pm

Fair enough
Toho says 3rd generation so I guess 2nd gen Mothra just lived much longer than her Mother.
Okay, I get it. Thanks. Toho has spoken, and if they say it's so, it's so.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I think this was already said but to me Gojira and Kotm are both canon. Gojira is the events of the film told from a netural point. We are seeing the 1954 film almost as if we are a God watching the event happen.

Kotm is Raymond Burr telling the stroy with his bais and his understanding of what's going on.

Both movies are telling the same even but Burr is not an omnipotent narrator like on the events of Gojira.

Added in 1 minute 28 seconds:
This one isn't mine but I talked to a fan once that in their head Canon Gigantis the Fire Monster is canon to the showa Gamera series.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Logan268
G-Grasper

Post by Logan268 »

Showa head canon
An alternate version of the events of Mothra (1961) happen in the Showa Godzilla universe with The Adult Mothra foiling Nelson's attempted kidnapping of the Shobijin. It happens off screen

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Each Showa film exist in its own continuity, a previous movie may of happened, but it happened with altered events. So using some of the Godzilla films as an examples

"Godzilla Raids Again" the altered event is the Oxygen Destroyer didn’t kill Godzilla, it just drove him from Tokyo bay back into the Pacific.
"King Kong Vs Godzilla" the altered event is Godzilla was trapped in an iceberg the previous film.
"Invasion of the Astro Monster" the altered event is only Godzilla and Rodan fought against King Ghidorah.
"Godzilla Vs Hedorah" the altered event is Godzilla had always been a protector of Earth and not considered a threat by the military.
"Terror of Mechagodzilla" the altered events are the aliens from the 3rd Planet of the Black Hole are no longer apelike, they are disguised because of radiation burns. King Ceaser did not help Godzilla defeat Mechagodzilla.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Don't they outright say in "Godzilla Raids Again" that the first Godzilla was killed by the Oxygen Destroyer?

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:29 am Don't they outright say in "Godzilla Raids Again" that the first Godzilla was killed by the Oxygen Destroyer?
They could of thought he was, but the characters only saw him raise up out of the water and go down again. A search afterwards would have found nothing, if Godzilla had just left or been completely disintegrated. Remember they thought the depth-charges took care of Godzilla till he showed up in Tokyo bay.
Last edited by szmigiel on Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Only problem with this is that it was said the Showa Godzilla following 1954 was the second one in more than one film.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

godjacob wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:08 am Only problem with this is that it was said the Showa Godzilla following 1954 was the second one in more than one film.
Which films?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

szmigiel wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:38 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:29 am Don't they outright say in "Godzilla Raids Again" that the first Godzilla was killed by the Oxygen Destroyer?
They could of thought he was, but the characters only saw him raise up out of the water and go down again. A search afterwards would have found nothing, if Godzilla had just left or been completely disintegrated. Remember they thought the depth-charges took care of Godzilla till he showed up in Tokyo bay.
We are shown Godzilla's bones dissolving in the first film and in the second one they say the monster is dead and they reference the oxygen destroyer.

I always thought head canon was something that existed to exercise your imagination to fill in the gaps for things that were never explained. In this case, there really isnt anything that's up for debate or justifies head Canon. It's a second Godzilla.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Yes the audience sees Godzilla, then the bones, dissolving till nothing is left. But none of the actual people involved see theses events, it all happen underwater. So with my head cannon the 1st movie, and G:KOTM with Raymond Burr, Godzilla is killed by the oxygen destroyer. But as Mr. Martin says in G 1985 the body is never found, because it was completely disintegrated, so it is unknown by the characters if it was or Godzilla escaped under the waves.

But as the head cannon theory states in GRA the ending is altered and Godziila did survive leaving Tokyo Bay and healing out in the Pacific and eventually is discovered again while battling Anguirus.

Really the only films that follow each other pretty neatly is Mothra Vs Godzilla and Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster. Then Ebirah the Horror of the Deep and Son of Godzilla. Finally Godzilla Vs Gigan and Godzilla Vs Megalon. The rest pretty much alter the events of previous movies in someway or another.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

szmigiel wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:19 am Each Showa film exist in its own continuity, a previous movie may of happened, but it happened with altered events. So using some of the Godzilla films as an examples

"Godzilla Raids Again" the altered event is the Oxygen Destroyer didn’t kill Godzilla, it just drove him from Tokyo bay back into the Pacific.
"King Kong Vs Godzilla" the altered event is Godzilla was trapped in an iceberg the previous film.
"Invasion of the Astro Monster" the altered event is only Godzilla and Rodan fought against King Ghidorah.
"Godzilla Vs Hedorah" the altered event is Godzilla had always been a protector of Earth and not considered a threat by the military.
"Terror of Mechagodzilla" the altered events are the aliens from the 3rd Planet of the Black Hole are no longer apelike, they are disguised because of radiation burns. King Ceaser did not help Godzilla defeat Mechagodzilla.
1. This has been discussed by the others.
2. Godzilla was trapped in ice at the end of GRA… it doesn’t alter any events.
3. Xiliens didn’t get Mothra because she was hiding out somewhere in her cocoon, transforming into the Imago from Godzilla vs The Sea Monster.
4. The military is still very much scared of Godzilla in vs Hedorah, they were just fighting a mutual enemy.
5. Why are they no longer ape like? And, I might be misremembering, but wasn’t King Caesar mentioned in the opening as part of the GvMG recap?
For Emperor and Empire!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Voyager wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:52 pm 1. This has been discussed by the others.
Nice to know others had similar ideas
Voyager wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:52 pm 2. Godzilla was trapped in ice at the end of GRA… it doesn’t alter any events.
Trapped in ice inland on an island, not an iceberg floating in the Pacific, that is an alteration.
Voyager wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:52 pm 3. Xiliens didn’t get Mothra because she was hiding out somewhere in her cocoon, transforming into the Imago from Godzilla vs The Sea Monster.
Even Glenn and Fuji don't bring up Mothra in the movie a very strange omission.
Voyager wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:52 pm 4. The military is still very much scared of Godzilla in vs Hedorah, they were just fighting a mutual enemy.
Doesn't appear that way when I watch the film at all.
Voyager wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:52 pm 5. Why are they no longer ape like? And, I might be misremembering, but wasn’t King Caesar mentioned in the opening as part of the GvMG recap?
No King Caesar is completely cut out of all the footage shown at the beginning of TOMG. Also during the end battle when Tsuda, Black Hole Alien lieutenant, dies he rips off his mask shown his radiation scars.

It also covers Godzilla's changing appearances between movies, changing sizes of some of the kaiju, why some kaiju appear to be living after they were killed. It is just my head cannon, but as a theory it works better than any other I have seen trying to link Showa movies into a coherent continuity.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I don't like to down play others head canons but no your theory does not work. The showa films do a better job of connecting than most. The outside films like Rodan and Mothra need some jigsawing in but the Godzilla movies don't.

Showa Godzilla is stated to be the second Godzilla.
The iceberg Godzilla is trapped in broke apart in KK vs Godzilla

Mothra is not mentioned because she was irrelevant. Godzilla, Rodan and Ghidorah were the power in that fight, Mothra was the tipping point and by the time of MZ they were the three greatest weapons you could have.

MZ even has a quick scene that shows Mothra was critical to beating Ghidorah.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image