Showa Series: Head Canon & Theories

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Showa Series: Head Canon & Theories

Post by Jermobooka »

Denis wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:56 pm
The origin of Mothra and the lore about Infant Island is the exact same as in the novel “The Luminous Fairies and Mothra”, the inspiration for the 1961 film
What was the origin and lore to the novel, just asking. Never heard much about it.
The basic gist of it is that there were two gods, a light sister and a dark brother. One day the dark bother god wanted to do something (forgot what exactly it was) and the light sister god didn’t. So, the light sister god killed herself, in which light moths flew out of her body, which is how Mothra was born

Mothra’s island also has a connection to the two gods, if I remember correctly
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:59 am
The origin of Mothra and the lore about Infant Island is the exact same as in the novel “The Luminous Fairies and Mothra”, the inspiration for the 1961 film
What was the origin and lore to the novel, just asking. Never heard much about it.
The basic gist of it is that there were two gods, a light sister and a dark brother. One day the dark bother god wanted to do something (forgot what exactly it was) and the light sister god didn’t. So, the light sister god killed herself, in which light moths flew out of her body, which is how Mothra was born

Ah interesting.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

A light sister and a dark brother. Sounds almost like Mothra and Battra the Black Mothra from the Heisei series, which is interesting, because I always thought Battra was Mothra's mate turned evil. I never even considered they might've been siblings and not a mated pair. If they were the latter, maybe Mothra mated with Battra before he became evil and from that point on, Mothra was able to lay her first egg and thus start her ongoing life cycle without needing to mate again.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Anyways, I also have another headcanon that 2nd Gen Godzilla is not related to 1st Gen Godzilla, and like some others, he was more of a loner and preferred living alone, either that or I theorize he wasn’t an alpha male or something.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

The Universal cut of King Kong vs Godzilla is set in the same universe as Brave New World.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:27 am The Universal cut of King Kong vs Godzilla is set in the same universe as Brave New World.
Why not set the Beck cut of KKVG in the "Universal Verse" established in Jeff Rovin's Return of the Wolfman, which established nearly all of Universal's horror outputs from the 30s - 50s as being set in the same crapsack universe?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:01 am
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:27 am The Universal cut of King Kong vs Godzilla is set in the same universe as Brave New World.
Why not set the Beck cut of KKVG in the "Universal Verse" established in Jeff Rovin's Return of the Wolfman, which established nearly all of Universal's horror outputs from the 30s - 50s as being set in the same crapsack universe?
Coming soon- Abbot and Costello meet Oodako
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I think someone said this before but Gojira is the real events of 1954 happening. Kotm is Steve Martin telling his version of the events so some things are changed by his understanding of things.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Probably not a unique head-canon by any means, but I think the Maser Tanks were derived from the same technology as the Atomic Heat Guns from Mothra (1961), essentially making them the prototype of the Masers.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:36 pm Probably not a unique head-canon by any means, but I think the Maser Tanks were derived from the same technology as the Atomic Heat Guns from Mothra (1961), essentially making them the prototype of the Masers.
And they derive from the Markalite F.A.H.P.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

1. Gorosaurus is a Carcharodontosaurid, judging by the opal-shaped profile of his skull.
2. The Rodan that showed up in 1964 is the son of the first two.
3. The Natives of Infant Island had encounters with Christian sailors over 200 years ago and they adopted the Christian cross to represent everything sacred for them.
4. The Simeons are a military dictatorship run by a supreme leader.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:23 pm 1. Gorosaurus is a Carcharodontosaurid, judging by the opal-shaped profile of his skull.
2. The Rodan that showed up in 1964 is the son of the first two.
3. The Natives of Infant Island had encounters with Christian sailors over 200 years ago and they adopted the Christian cross to represent everything sacred for them.
4. The Simeons are a military dictatorship run by a supreme leader.
1. Probably. Wasn’t he specifically stated to be an Allosaur(us) though? Allosaurids and Carcharodontosaurids are close enough through.
2. Can work. I personally think it’s the male from ‘56.
3. Like this, it could very well have been that way.
4. ^
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Many of those who survived the 1954 Godzilla’s rampage lost their jobs and turned to mining in Mt. Aso as the only alternative—which subsequently set up the events of Giant Monster of the Sky: Rodan.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

There were also two sequel novels by David Jacobs, which were two halves of one story.

The series was:

*Return of the Wolf Man (1998 (Jeff Rovin)),
*The Devil's Brood (2000 (David Jacobs)),
*The Devil's Night (2001 (David Jacobs)).

In addition, the Universal Abbott and Costello films are probably included here, too, because in the first novel, Talbot wonders what happened to Chick Young and Wilbur Gray from Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. A sentence in the novel says that some said they went to Africa and some said they joined the Foreign Legion. I don't think I need to say more. Also, in the same novel and at the end of it, Klaris from Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy is mentioned as a cousin of Kharis from the Universal Mummy series.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:46 am
There were also two sequel novels by David Jacobs, which were two halves of one story.

The series was:

*Return of the Wolf Man (1998 (Jeff Rovin)),
*The Devil's Brood (2000 (David Jacobs)),
*The Devil's Night (2001 (David Jacobs)).
Beck's cut of King Kong vs Godzilla sets itself up so differently it could be the universal verses introduction to Godzilla and King. Kong

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

For some reason, I can't help but think of the Daughter and Son of Mortis from Clone Wars when reading this, it's eerily similar.

And here's a few of my head canons:

- The Simeons are actually apes from our Earth that were sent by NASA to space, but they went through a time loop which sent them all the way back and into a different world, thus they become very advanced and humanoid after spending billions of years on that planet.

- I may have mentioned this one before, but KKvG Kong and KKE Kong are the same individual; the berry juice did in fact make the Faroh Island creatures larger and by the time KKE happens, Kong is back to his natural size from no longer consuming berry juice. King Kong and Godzilla have a rematch at some point after TOMG, but they gain respect for each other and become allies and Kong decides to lead a new island for himself somewhere farther away from Monster Island; this island Kong now spends his life in contains many prehistoric remnants and life, it is a giant land mass shaped like a skull.

- If Rampage (2018) is not in the Monsterverse, it could very well be in the present day of the Showa timeline. You could also put Love and Monsters into the farther future if you wanted to, perhaps Godzilla and the other kaiju didn't interfere with the film's main conflict because they were too busy fighting off other monsters in their respective lands.

- At some point in the future, Godzilla's DNA was being used for experimentation such as medicine and super soldier programs, this however backfired and myths and legends about "Goji-Men", which have not been publicly proven to be true.

- The old Universal monster films take place in the Showa universe, cause why not?

- Baragon and Anguirus are distantly related species, however Baragon is slightly more related to Ceratopsians, which explains the more extragant horns and the ears used to be like a ceratopsian's frill.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

AllosaurHell wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:08 am
- If Rampage (2018) is not in the Monsterverse, it could very well be in the present day of the Showa timeline. You could also put Love and Monsters into the farther future if you wanted to, perhaps Godzilla and the other kaiju didn't interfere with the film's main conflict because they were too busy fighting off other monsters in their respective lands.

- The old Universal monster films take place in the Showa universe, cause why not?
1. If this was in the Showa timeline… why do people act like monsters are this out of the ordinary thing that’s never happened before, especially in such a timeline where in the 60s and 70s, Monsters were a yearly occurrence.

2. I’ve actually made a whole timeline based off of this premise, but it also includes other monster films of the 50s and 60s. I’ll put it below.

Feudal Times:

The Three Treasures (???)
Pulgasari (???)
Daimajin (???)
Return of Daimajin (???)
Daimajin Strikes Again (???)

1930s-1940s:

Dracula (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
The Mummy (1932)
King Kong (1933)
Son of Kong (1933)
The Invisible Man (1933)
The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Werewolf of London (1935)
The Invisible Woman (1940)
The Mummy’s Hand (1940)
The Wolf Man (1941)
The Mummy’s Tomb (1942)
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)
Son of Dracula (1943)
The Mummy’s Ghost (1944)

1950s:

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms! (1953)
Creature From the Black Lagoon (Early 1954)
Them! (Mid 1954)
Godzilla (Late 1954)
Godzilla Raids Again (Early 1955)
Revenge of the Creature (Mid 1955)
It Came From Beneath The Sea (Mid 1955)
Rodan (1956)
The Beast From Hollow Mountain (1956)
The Mysterians (1957)
20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)
The Black Scorpion (1957)
The Deadly Mantis (1957)
Varan (1958)
The Fly (1958)
The Giant Gila Monster (1959)
The Giant Behemoth (1959)

1960s:

Frankenstein vs Baragon (1960)
Mothra (1961)
Reptilicus (1961)
Gorgo (1961)
The Day of the Triffids (1962)
King Kong vs Godzilla (1962)
Matango (1963)
Atragon (1963)
Mothra vs Godzilla (1964)
Dogora (1964)
Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster (1964)
Battle in Outer Space (1965)
Invasion of Astro Monster (1965)
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)
War of the Gargantuas (1966)
Son of Godzilla (1967)
King Kong Escapes (1967)
Latitude Zero (1969)

1970s:

Space Amoeba (1970)
Godzilla vs Hedorah (1971)
Godzilla vs Gigan (1972)
Godzilla vs Megalon (1973)
Zone Fighter (1973)
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974)
Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

1988:

War in Space (1988)

1999:

Destroy All Monsters (1999)

Gorath ('79-'80): If you want to include it for completion you can, but it's too incompatible.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Voyager wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:20 pm

1. If this was in the Showa timeline… why do people act like monsters are this out of the ordinary thing that’s never happened before, especially in such a timeline where in the 60s and 70s, Monsters were a yearly occurrence.

2. I’ve actually made a whole timeline based off of this premise, but it also includes other monster films of the 50s and 60s. I’ll put it below.

Feudal Times:

Pulgasari (???)
Daimajin (???)
Return of Daimajin (???)

1930s-1940s:

Dracula (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
The Mummy (1932)
King Kong (1933)
Son of Kong (1933)
The Invisible Man (1933)
The Mummy’s Hand (1940)
The Wolf Man (1941)
The Mummy’s Tomb (1942)
Son of Dracula (1943)
The Mummy’s Ghost (1944)

1950s:

Them! (Mid 1954)
Godzilla (Late 1954)
Rodan (1956)
The Mysterians (1957)
The Deadly Mantis (1957)
Varan (1958)
The Fly (1958)

1960s:

Mothra (1961)
Reptilicus (1961)
Gorgo (1961)
Matango (1963)
Atragon (1963)
Dogora (1964)
Son of Godzilla (1967)
King Kong Escapes (1967)
Latitude Zero (1969)

1970s:

Space Amoeba (1970)
Godzilla vs Gigan (1972)
Zone Fighter (1973)

1988:

War in Space (1988)

1999:

Gorath ('79-'80): If you want to include it for completion you can, but it's too incompatible.
While these are all Head canons if you place the American cut of KKvsG into the universal monster verse it actually fits with little to problem.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Feudal Times:

Pulgasari (???)
Daimajin (???)
Return of Daimajin (???)

1930s-1940s:

Dracula (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
The Mummy (1932)
King Kong (1933)
Son of Kong (1933)
The Invisible Man (1933)
The Mummy’s Hand (1940)
The Wolf Man (1941)
The Mummy’s Tomb (1942)
Son of Dracula (1943)
The Mummy’s Ghost (1944)

1950s:

Them! (Mid 1954)
Godzilla (Late 1954)
Rodan (1956)
The Mysterians (1957)
The Deadly Mantis (1957)
Varan (1958)
The Fly (1958)

1960s:

Mothra (1961)
Reptilicus (1961)
Gorgo (1961)
Matango (1963)
Atragon (1963)
Dogora (1964)
Son of Godzilla (1967)
King Kong Escapes (1967)
Latitude Zero (1969)

1970s:

Space Amoeba (1970)
Godzilla vs Gigan (1972)
Zone Fighter (1973)

1988:

War in Space (1988)

1999:

I've got a few possible additions to this list, if you want to consider them:

*Half Human (1955; released in Japan after Godzilla Raids Again)
*Tarantula (1955)
*Return of the Fly (1959)
*Konga (1961)
*The Curse of the Fly (1965)
*The Vampire Doll (1970; released in Japan after Space Amoeba)
*Lake of Dracula (1971; released in Japan after Godzilla vs. Hedorah)
*Evil of Dracula (1974; released in Japan before Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla)

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:00 pm

Feudal Times:

Pulgasari (???)
Daimajin (???)
Return of Daimajin (???)

1930s-1940s:

Dracula (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
The Mummy (1932)
King Kong (1933)
Son of Kong (1933)
The Invisible Man (1933)
The Mummy’s Hand (1940)
The Wolf Man (1941)
The Mummy’s Tomb (1942)
Son of Dracula (1943)
The Mummy’s Ghost (1944)

1950s:

Them! (Mid 1954)
Godzilla (Late 1954)
Rodan (1956)
The Mysterians (1957)
The Deadly Mantis (1957)
Varan (1958)
The Fly (1958)

1960s:

Mothra (1961)
Reptilicus (1961)
Gorgo (1961)
Matango (1963)
Atragon (1963)
Dogora (1964)
Son of Godzilla (1967)
King Kong Escapes (1967)
Latitude Zero (1969)

1970s:

Space Amoeba (1970)
Godzilla vs Gigan (1972)
Zone Fighter (1973)

1988:

War in Space (1988)

1999:

I've got a few possible additions to this list, if you want to consider them:

*Half Human (1955; released in Japan after Godzilla Raids Again)
*Tarantula (1955)
*Return of the Fly (1959)
*Konga (1961)
*The Curse of the Fly (1965)
*The Vampire Doll (1970; released in Japan after Space Amoeba)
*Lake of Dracula (1971; released in Japan after Godzilla vs. Hedorah)
*Evil of Dracula (1974; released in Japan before Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla)
Something about Konga being here is kind of funny to me.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse