Talkback: Rodan (1956)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: Talkback: Rodan (1956)

Post by Pkmatrix »

Count me as another fan of this movie! Rodan is easily one of my favorite Toho sci-fi films. :)

As for the wires vs. no wires argument...honestly I see the merits of both, and wouldn't mind if a future Blu-Ray had showing or hiding the wires an option in the menu. Seems like a simple enough thing, the former to please purists and the latter who want something closer to what the filmmakers intended.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Watched this for the first time in its entirety today and it's fantastic. I love the way that the scale of the movie gradually gets bigger in each act, it starts as a murder mystery in the first act, becomes a giant bug movie in the movie second act, and a kaiju movie by the third act. The characters and plot are simple but that's not a bad thing and I feel like it works in the movie's favor. The special effects sequences and miniatures are just amazing. This is my favorite Rodan design also, he's never looked better.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

The ending is so good. It's amazing to see a kaiju couple care for each other so much that when one dies the other would rather die with it than live on. It's probably the only scene I prefer from the American version, because the narration is incredible. Much like the Godzilla 1985 speech at the end by Raymond Burr.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

The missile sequence in the Japanese version of the ending is way too drawn out.

I don't see a lot of people talk about the cinematography in it, but man this movie is really well shot.

Kino....
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I don't see a lot of people talk about the cinematography in it, but man this movie is really well shot.
Agreed. It has a very warm, saturated look, that almost looks more like Technicolor to me than it does Eastmancolor.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don’t trust Toho’s color grading. I imagine the original color pallette was more natural looking than the current HD master. Still a great looking film and probably Honda’s best use of color in a giant monster film. I’ve always loved the green hills and red soil in Tsuburaya’s miniature landscapes.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

But the warmth and saturation was somewhat noticeable even on US SP VHS versions.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I was watching this movie last night, and it is one of the best kaiju films made by Toho.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

This is about the only Volcano/Magma takes care of the DaiKaiju problem ending I really like. Mainly because the bombardment help create the Volcanic activity even if wasn't on purpose, and the second Rodan could have escaped but choose to stay with it's mate. Over all it is a great building mystery kaiju plot that is paced very well and doesn't leave me bored waiting for the big pay off moments.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

This was one of the better Showa era movies (that wasn't Godzilla related). I liked the atmosphere of a threat yet to come and the appearance of this Rodan was my favorite of them all.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

What I really enjoy about Rodan is that he's one of the more realistic kaiju that required no heat rays or psychic powers, it's just his speed and massive wingspan that prove to be both intimidating and impressive at the same time.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:What I really enjoy about Rodan is that he's one of the more realistic kaiju that required no heat rays or psychic powers, it's just his speed and massive wingspan that prove to be both intimidating and impressive at the same time.
Me too, I've always been drawn to kaiju without any special powers.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I really love how much the film plays out as a traditional horror film both in themes and the execution of the film itself.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I don't see a lot of people talk about the cinematography in it, but man this movie is really well shot.

Kino....
The miniature work is stunning as well. Counting only his work on monster films, Rodan (1956) and Mothra (1961) might be Tsubaraya's best efforts in the miniature effects department.

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:What I really enjoy about Rodan is that he's one of the more realistic kaiju that required no heat rays or psychic powers, it's just his speed and massive wingspan that prove to be both intimidating and impressive at the same time.
There is one twist to that. One two occasions in Rodan '56...there are closeups of Rodan breathing out what is reminiscent of the flame effect from Godzilla '54. They do not show destruction as a result. Anyone else notice this?
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote: There is one twist to that. One two occasions in Rodan '56...there are closeups of Rodan breathing out what is reminiscent of the flame effect from Godzilla '54. They do not show destruction as a result. Anyone else notice this?
Indeed I did notice that. Never understood what the intention was, other than perhaps some sort of supersonic breath similar to what Anguirus had in the Pipeworks video games?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

Maritonic wrote:
Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote: There is one twist to that. One two occasions in Rodan '56...there are closeups of Rodan breathing out what is reminiscent of the flame effect from Godzilla '54. They do not show destruction as a result. Anyone else notice this?
Indeed I did notice that. Never understood what the intention was, other than perhaps some sort of supersonic breath similar to what Anguirus had in the Pipeworks video games?
Oh yeah...Anguirus breath. I remember that.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I always viewed the scene as a directed hard breath at some target. I don't think it was meant to be a weapon per se, but does make a good visual.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I figure it was wind. That's Rodan's element after all.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

It was probably just a burp, nothing more, nothing less.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking