Monster Discussion #32: Gigan (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Monster Discussion #32: Gigan (Showa)

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I love both versions of Gigan equally!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Still waiting for someone to help me out...
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I remember somewhere actually explaining what that weird flash coming from Gigan's forehead was after he was smacked in the head with that boulder... anyone have a link?
It was a laser that was suppost to come from his head, but due to the budget it was cut. http://www.tohokingdom.com/articles/ana ... gan_s.html
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:I remember somewhere actually explaining what that weird flash coming from Gigan's forehead was after he was smacked in the head with that boulder... anyone have a link?
It was a laser that was suppost to come from his head, but due to the budget it was cut. http://www.tohokingdom.com/articles/ana ... gan_s.html
The original inspiration behind the cannon was to give the monster a "third eye", a mystical and esoteric concept related to human beings with psychic powers and enlightenment in Hinduism and Buddhism beliefs. However, the director ended up getting cold feet about giving something prestigious like that to a non-human creature like Gigan and decided against it in the end
AHA! THIS was what I was looking for!
And it had nothing to do with the budget ;)
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Gigan is definitely a classic kaiju. His look is distinct. I just don't like his fighting style of hit and run.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Lain Of The Wired wrote: And it had nothing to do with the budget ;)
Oh forgot about that explanation. :)
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

ILL GREEN wrote:Gigan is definitely a classic kaiju. His look is distinct. I just don't like his fighting style of hit and run.
That's not really his fighting style though. He only runs away when it seems like he's losing that battle. Gigan's fighting style is to get up is his opponent's face to do as much damage as possible.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

i prefer him without the laser. it forces him to be much more versatile and to rely on intellect as opposed to a simple minded "overwhelm my foe" approach common to powerful beam fighting kaiju.

the way he throws around his weight also gives him more personality, which is again something i attribute to lack of a beam.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

What do you guys think of the scrapped idea of Gigan having a mace for one arm that could fire out as a long range weapon?

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Godzillian wrote:What do you guys think of the scrapped idea of Gigan having a mace for one arm that could fire out as a long range weapon?
absolutely stupid.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

three wrote:
Godzillian wrote:What do you guys think of the scrapped idea of Gigan having a mace for one arm that could fire out as a long range weapon?
absolutely stupid.
Wouldn't go that far but certainly to absurd even for 70s era godzilla standards.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

:shock: Wut?
Last edited by Godzilla Lover101 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

^ I'd find that pretty cool
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Rareeve6195
Monsterland Worker

Post by Rareeve6195 »

I think if he had a mace launching hand that would make him a little bit to over powered , I mean he already has a buzzsaw and hooks, even without his laser in those earlier versions he was still one of Godzillas tougher opponents
http://youtu.be/vBWniZQLhCY?t=1m24s

Resized Image

I would very much like to see Gorgo Yongary and Pulgasari: Giant Monsters all out attack

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

He's pretty awesome. I prefer his Millennium look, but I love his Showa incarnation as well. His bizarre and unnatural space chicken appearance make him an instant and memorable classic kaiju.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Did they by chance recycle some of the old Ghidorah's suit to make Gigan golden scales?
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Omegazilla wrote:He's pretty awesome. I prefer his Millennium look, but I love his Showa incarnation as well. His bizarre and unnatural space chicken appearance make him an instant and memorable classic kaiju.
i prefer the showa look. the millennium look appeared to really make him odd and more cybernetic than i had expected. i'd love to see another revamp of him, though.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

three wrote:
Omegazilla wrote:He's pretty awesome. I prefer his Millennium look, but I love his Showa incarnation as well. His bizarre and unnatural space chicken appearance make him an instant and memorable classic kaiju.
i prefer the showa look. the millennium look appeared to really make him odd and more cybernetic than i had expected. i'd love to see another revamp of him, though.
The millennium Gigan just look over done, especially the second version.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

three
Keizer

Post by three »

ScootaVaran wrote:
three wrote:
The millennium Gigan just look over done, especially the second version.
they totally lost the whole "bio - mechanic" concept and went full mechanic on him. it was kinda weird, and he seemed more like a xenomorph than Gigan. i didn't like it too much. :|