Monster Discussion #32: Gigan (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Monster Discussion #32: Gigan (Showa)

Post by LegendZilla »

Happy belated 50th anniversary Gigan!

Gojira 41mk11
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojira 41mk11 »

Gigan is my favorite monster, and furthermore my favorite fictional character. His design just so strange and ridiculous, but also one of the coolest out there. And his personality makes that design just so much fun to watch. Gigan is brutal, tearing his foes apart with his abundance of sharp weapons, and he’s having a great time doing it. The sheer contrast of a buzzsaw going through Anguirus’ face, blood flying everywhere, and Gigan hopping around and clapping his hooks is a sight to behold, and it works so well. He’s the best part of Godzilla vs Gigan monster-wise, admittedly mostly because his suit looks much nicer than the others and they couldn’t use stock footage for him, and watching him pal around with Megalon brings me so much joy. Even when I feel like garbage watching him makes me that much happier. Hell, even just thinking about his violent shenanigans makes me happier. I still need to watch the rest of Zone Fighter (waiting for my friends to feel up to it), but I hope he’s every bit as great in that as he is in his two movies.

TL;DR: Praise Gigan :Gigan:
Last edited by Gojira 41mk11 on Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Gigan: Gigan <3 :Gigan:
But Gigan is a villain that prove you support only villain not hero
Wrong. The current MonsterVerse films are “kaka”. At least these classic Showa kaiju films ain’t WOKE!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Gojira 41mk11 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:43 am Gigan is my favorite monster, and furthermore my favorite fictional character. His design just so strange and ridiculous, but also one of the coolest out there. And his personality makes that design just so much fun to watch. Gigan is brutal, tearing his foes apart with his abundance of sharp weapons, and he’s having a great time doing it. The sheer contrast of a buzzsaw going through Anguirus’ face, blood flying everywhere, and Gigan hopping around and clapping his hooks is a sight to behold, and it works so well. He’s the best part of Godzilla vs Gigan monster-wise, admittedly mostly because his suit looks much nicer than the others and they couldn’t use stock footage for him, and watching him pal around with Megalon brings me so much joy. Even when I feel like garbage watching him makes me that much happier. Hell, even just thinking about his violent shenanigans makes me happier. I still need to watch the rest of Zone Fighter (waiting for my friends to feel up to it), but I hope he’s every bit as great in that as he is in his two movies.

TL;DR: Praise Gigan :Gigan:
I'll drink to that, praise Gigan :Gigan: :thumbsup: What'd ya think of the two Gigan short films?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Gojira 41mk11
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojira 41mk11 »

I wasn't a fan of Godzilla vs Gigan Rex but I loved Gigan Attacks. I was smiling the whole time I watched it.
Last edited by Gojira 41mk11 on Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Gigan: Gigan <3 :Gigan:
But Gigan is a villain that prove you support only villain not hero
Wrong. The current MonsterVerse films are “kaka”. At least these classic Showa kaiju films ain’t WOKE!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Gigan is a classic monster, fun personality and an icon of the Godzilla series at this point.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Godzilla roster has some unique designs, but Gigan hammers (claw) the competition with his strange design. Gigan's rampage as he gleefully wrecks the city is one of the best parts of the film.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.