Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Post by Terasawa »

So how many people are seeing the Japanese version for the first time with the Criterion set? Gotta admit, I was expecting and anticipating a lot of discussion about this movie after that set was released.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

There are some cuts I kind of like with the U.S. version. I kind of like that we cut back to the military preparing for Godzilla approaching rather than just immediately he's by a base. I don't know why thinking of that made me think of a cut I love from Godzilla 1985 the 'Godzilla's alive he's chasing the Super X' *cue music and showing Steve Martin being sadly proven right.*

My copy isn't coming for a day or two but I have seen the Japanese cut years ago.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:So how many people are seeing the Japanese version for the first time with the Criterion set? Gotta admit, I was expecting and anticipating a lot of discussion about this movie after that set was released.
The people who genuinely cared about Godzilla vs. Kong would have gone out of their way years ago to see the film's Japanese version...

Please prove me wrong!

I think KVG isn't one of the all time greats, but it's definitely one of my favorites and I think would be better appreciated if people saw the Japanese version. It's almost tonally a completely different film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think KVG isn't one of the all time greats
I think it is. It rocketed up from fringe top 10 Godzilla to third behind 54 and Mothra vs., after seeing the 4K version earlier this year (the first copy I’ve seen with a consistent and appealing visual/aural presentation of the movie). I think it’s excellent in the same way a classic MGM musical is: every aspect of the large and complicated production comes together in a very entertaining and satisfying way. There is no other Godzilla movie quite like it; among other Toho monster movies, I think only Mothra (1961) compares.

Sure the Kong costume is pitiful and some of the SFX work is below Tsuburaya’s usual standard, but I think the faults are eased a bit because the movie is so self-aware and funny. And while I certainly don’t mind humor in the monster content in these movies, I think it’s best implemented in this one. Obayashi jokes about how preposterous it is that Kong and Godzilla should fight as if in a wrestling match and that’s precisely what Tsuburaya gives us later in the movie.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

I finally got a copy of the Japanese version. I cant wait to see Godzilla emerge the winner at the end.

Watches movie.

What the?

Damn it. That's the last time I listen to Bob Costas.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:Obayashi jokes about how preposterous it is that Kong and Godzilla should fight as if in a wrestling match and that’s precisely what Tsuburaya gives us later in the movie.
I have long maintained that, among other things, this movie is a very conscious comment on the exploitive absurdity of its own concept.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Terasawa wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think KVG isn't one of the all time greats
I think it is. It rocketed up from fringe top 10 Godzilla to third behind 54 and Mothra vs., after seeing the 4K version earlier this year (the first copy I’ve seen with a consistent and appealing visual/aural presentation of the movie). I think it’s excellent in the same way a classic MGM musical is: every aspect of the large and complicated production comes together in a very entertaining and satisfying way. There is no other Godzilla movie quite like it; among other Toho monster movies, I think only Mothra (1961) compares.
I agree. (Mostly; I'd still rank MvG and SoG on the same level). It's reached top 10, if not top 5, franchise-wide status for me.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

I always thought this picture was cool.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

After putting it off for like a month, I have FINALLY sat to watch the Japanese cut of King Kong vs. Godzilla - the only Showa Godzilla I'd never seen a Japanese cut of! :D

Here's the thing: I've had a somewhat rocky relationship with KKvG. It was among the first Godzilla movies I saw and for many years was a fave, I've rewatched the American cut more times than I can count. As I grew up though my feelings on the movie soured, to the point that I've often placed it as my least favorite Godzilla movie when ranking all of them (yes, even below G'98). So I've been very much looking forward to seeing the Japanese version, which I'd been told was much better.

And it was! :D

Not only is the plot more coherent, the original version is pretty damn funny at times. ^_^ I'd like to give it another watch someday soon so I can get a better handle on it, but I very much enjoyed it. :)

A few things I noted:

- Mr. Tako has a MUCH bigger part in the Japanese cut, which makes sense considering the American cut was specifically to re-edit the film from a comedy into a sci-fi/horror film. He's easily the funniest character and it's a crime the American version reduced his part so much.
- I never really noticed before, but Kazuo and Fumiko are like the most devoted couple in any Godzilla movie. She hears his ship has sunk and immediately drops everything to go find him. He hears the train she's taking is headed right for Godzilla and immediately drops everything and drives cross-country to save her. Like, wow, I hope these two characters got married afterwards!
- Speaking of which, I'm willing to bet Fumiko never boarded a train again in her life after the events of his movie. XD
- On this viewing I really noticed how much Shoichi Hirose based his performance on a smaller monkey, his movements really remind me of a capuchin.
- You know, all this time while I knew Godzilla escaped from an iceberg I thought it was an iceberg in the Bering Sea. The impression I'd gotten from people talking about the movie is that Godzilla escapes the iceberg, then attacks a base in the Soviet Union, before moving on to Japan. But, that doesn't appear to be the case? All indications in the film itself are that it's an American military base in northern Alaska, since Godzilla attacks an American nuclear sub, is then spotted by a US Navy helicopter, attacks the military base which deploys Sherman Tanks, and then later is described in dialogue as having passed through the Bering Strait and was following the Aleutians toward Japan.
- Apparently, Sendai was attacked and destroyed off-camera?? Godzilla is mentioned as landing in Japan at Matsushima Bay and then later, before the train attack, described as heading south after destroying Sendai. (Interestingly, this means the whole train attack sequence takes place near Fukushima...)

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

I think it's a NATO base in the Bering Sea.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:I think it's a NATO base in the Bering Sea.
Officially, it's an undesignated country's. It is totally ambiguous.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Space Hunter M wrote:
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:I think it's a NATO base in the Bering Sea.
Officially, it's an undesignated country's. It is totally ambiguous.
Yeah, it's vague. If I recall the argument they were supposed to be Russian was because the tanks have red stars on them? But considering they're Sherman tanks and that the scene takes place the coast of the Arctic Ocean and NOT the Bering Sea like people have said, the context is that this is supposed to be an American base in Alaska.

I wouldn't have questioned it if it weren't for the line about Godzilla passing through the Bering Strait and swimming along the Aleutians. This is what the dialogue suggests Godzilla's route in the movie is:

(I hope that picture worked...)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It has a perfect Bering in this case.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote:It has a perfect Bering in this case.
Well played.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

:lol:

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Some promo materials from Universal.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Some promo materials from Universal.
Omg these are amazing. I love the one with the people holding signs. Also,”If you can get away with it, paint giant monster footsteps in the street”.

Just out of curiosity, did you find these with the methods Tamura suggested?

Added in 4 minutes 30 seconds:
Pkmatrix wrote:
:lol:
Just wanted to say I’m glad you watched the Japanese cut. I think this film is severely underrated just because many people haven’t seen the Japanese cut. You realize how much character and soul the film loses when it was butchered. The Japanese version establishes way more character. It’s more comedic for sure, but strangely makes Godzilla more horrific with the scenes with the boats that are cut out in the dubbed version.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

A few more.

I have no idea what the record is about.

I have no idea what a "Telop" is.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I watched the Japanese version for the first time today and it's so much better than the US dubbed version that I grew up with. I've always regarded KKvG as one of my least favorite Godzilla films, but not any more. It's still not one of my absolute favorites, but I have a much greater appreciation for the movie now. I'd always heard that the US cut was butchered to pieces, but good lord... I thought they just cut a couple minutes out and threw in those annoying scenes with the American reporter. I didn't realize that half the goddamn scenes featuring the cast had been cut, trimming the movie down to pretty much just the monsters and anything directly pertaining to them. And while the original score isn't Ifukube's best, it's still a million times better than hearing the Creature From the Black Lagoon theme play while Godzilla and Kong fight.

I can now safely say that KKvG is a good film, which I've never said before. Not on par with Gojira or Mothra vs. Godzilla, but definitely in the upper half of the series, were I to go rank them all again. The US version, meanwhile, ranks right down at the bottom of the barrel with Emmerich's abortion, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Gigantis and the anime trilogy. I honestly think the US version of KKvG is as bad if not worse than Gigantis. The dubbing itself isn't horrible like it was in Gigantis, but the re-editing of the movie and the godawful new scenes make it a much, much, much less enjoyable viewing experience than the original cut.

Also, it's been said by many others, but Mr. Tako is a fucking gem and its a shame that Ichiro Arishima never stole the scene in another kaiju movie.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

I love this movie, good humans, good soundtrack, good monsters, good and memorable scenes, good fight scenes, good message... the only thing i disliked a bit, was the convenient storm and the Giant Octopus scene, which the humans are attacking him, the effects aren't great, but since the movie is old, I'll ignore that.

I wish there was more Godzilla movies like that, it's so much fun, in my opinion, the humans in this movies are better or equal to the first movie.
When those fleeting lives destined to die, forget their humbleness and sing praises of their glory, such will shake the very heavens and split the earth, and they shall know the wrath of the divine. The inevitable incarnation of destruction. So, you show yourself at last. Since we last saw each other, it has been 20 years for us and 20,000 years for you. It's been a while... Oh, King of Destruction.