Talkback: Varan (1958)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback: Varan (1958)

Post by JVM »

Watched this last night after years of waiting. The SFX sequences did not disappoint, but the human scenes were the blandest in any kaiju film I've seen yet, with the characters virtually dropping off after Varan's appearance and only used in as boring and generic ways as possible. Unfortunate.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

And the navy and airforce attempts to destroy Varan before the airport attack is pretty boring, too.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

The music in this film is pretty great

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

I enjoy this film. The special effects and the music is top notch in this movie. It also helps that Varan is one of my favorite kaiju. I have yet to see the english version of the film but from what I hear I'm not missing much
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I really want to see this movie. Anybody know how to possibly get a dvd of the japanese version? Or do i have to watch it online?(i need a phsyical copy to really seal the deal and awesomness)
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

^Media Blasters/ Tokyo Shock did an excellent release a few years back of Varan. Check ebay to see if someone is selling it for a reasonable price
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

^ thanks ill look there
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

I have seen both the Japanese version and the American version. And in my opinion, the Japanese version is WAY better than the American version. But even then, I actually did enjoy both these flicks. The American version just feels like a typical Monster Movie in the 50's, so I guess that's why I enjoyed it.
But the Japanese version is an underrated gem in my opinion. Mostly due the characters being rather enjoyable, and the monster himself is one of my favorites. I understand why people dislike this film. But to me, I really enjoyed this flick. Both American and Japanese.
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

Wonder9fanboy
Ronin

Post by Wonder9fanboy »

I love the U.S. version of this film. It helped create the demand for giant monster vs. modern movie genre. It only gets 9 because the dumb kid action.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Wonder9fanboy wrote:I love the U.S. version of this film. It helped create the demand for giant monster vs. modern movie genre. It only gets 9 because the dumb kid action.
:eh:
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I need to watch the Japanese version. I caught the US version on Amazon prime, and man... it took a lot of effort for me to sit through.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KingKaiju wrote:I need to watch the Japanese version. I caught the US version on Amazon prime, and man... it took a lot of effort for me to sit through.
Both versions are pretty dull, honestly, but the American version really borders on unwatchable for me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

eabaker wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:I need to watch the Japanese version. I caught the US version on Amazon prime, and man... it took a lot of effort for me to sit through.
Both versions are pretty dull, honestly, but the American version really borders on unwatchable for me.
That's a shame. But, considering how obscure of a character Varan has become, I guess I can see it.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've never seen the American version, but I'd be willing to give it a viewing at least once.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't think the American version is all that much worse than some US cheapies from the same era. I like it more than the Japanese version which feels like it was entirely phoned in.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Why does the English dub of Varan open with stockfootage from Gojira?
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Why does the English dub of Varan open with stockfootage from Gojira?
Why does it open with that evacuation montage? Not sure, maybe the editor thought it was exciting. Why footage from Godzilla? Because that stock footage is in the Japanese version of Varan. There is, however, stock footage from Godzilla Raids Again in Varan, the Unbelievable that isn't in the Toho version.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Wonder9fanboy wrote:I love the U.S. version of this film. It helped create the demand for giant monster vs. modern movie genre. It only gets 9 because the dumb kid action.
Kid...? I know it's been a few years since I sat with Varan the Unbelievable, but I don't remember a kid...
edgaguirus wrote:I've never seen the American version, but I'd be willing to give it a viewing at least once.
I'd say it's worth at least one watch, at least just to see how wildly different it is. It truly is a totally separate film, it's not an "Americanization" at all but a straight-up new film that borrows heavily from Giant Monster Varan.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Yeah, there's this annoying kid who keeps putting off work to hang out with the Miron Heeley's girlfriend
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Yeah, there's this annoying kid who keeps putting off work to hang out with the Miron Heeley's girlfriend
Oh, geez, I'd forgotten all about that character! :lol: Maybe I should give the two Varan movies a rewatch.