Hanna Barbera Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

What do you think of the Hanna Babera Godzilla

Like it
57%
Hate it
12%
Indifferent
30%

Total votes: 115

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Re: Hanna Barbera Godzilla

Post by Dinoskell »

A less antropomorphic take on Godzooky would be a fascinating character. A related species of that acts unaturally aggressive due to being influenced by Godzilla. And a terrified powerful animal is quite dangerous in actuality.

Also the cyber er "cyborg" whale is one of my favorite rogue ai. It obly wants to ram into things and only uses its intelligence to deal with those that dare oppose its quest to destroy the port it came from.

Also I was amazed at how murderously angry Dr. Quin was in the first episode. She really wanted the earth eater dead for cancelling the research conference.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

I'm glad I got all three volumes for season 1 when they first came out! Now I'm just waiting for them to release the complete series on bluray.
Last edited by GODZILLA2877 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I feel this series could almost be seen as the "good timeline" where Godzilla didn't get nuked, and just turns out to have a breath weapon naturally without nuclear radiation, like Baragon.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Dinoskell wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:51 pm A less antropomorphic take on Godzooky would be a fascinating character. A related species of that acts unaturally aggressive due to being influenced by Godzilla. And a terrified powerful animal is quite dangerous in actuality.

Also the cyber er "cyborg" whale is one of my favorite rogue ai. It obly wants to ram into things and only uses its intelligence to deal with those that dare oppose its quest to destroy the port it came from.

Also I was amazed at how murderously angry Dr. Quin was in the first episode. She really wanted the earth eater dead for cancelling the research conference.
Actually, "The Eartheater" was the second episode of season 1. "The Firebird" was the first episode.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Look what Toho posted to their official channel!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Heeeeey now this is a lovely surprise.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I hope they eventually upload episodes from the second season, as those haven't been (officially) seen since the show's run on Cartoon Network/Boomerang. Too bad they're uploading them in multiple parts each, though.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Mr Toho knows how to dime out his stuff.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Hopefully we'll get The Magnetic Terror episode. I'd love to see that one again.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

The Calico
Ronin

Post by The Calico »

Awesome! If there is no traction in finding a distributor to release the episodes on dvd, then uploading to YouTube is perhaps the next best thing. Hoping Toho will eventually reach season 2, especially "MicroGodzilla."

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:52 pm
Blocked in Japan. Toho doesn't want the Japanese fanbase to find out America beat them to the bunch with an animated series 50 years prior. :)
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

So far, it looks like they're going to do one part a week. Assuming they continue with three parts per episode, that means we can hope to (maybe) see the second season in May and the complete series by February, 2023.

:dizzy:
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Nice to see Toho partying likes it 2007. Tsuburaya and Toei upload full episodes of their shows multiple times a week in their full-state, so why the hell is Toho opting to do it that way?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

The Calico
Ronin

Post by The Calico »

I don't blame them for splitting the episodes. I'm guessing that it's a very small team maintaining that YouTube account. They don't seem to have the budget to create their own videos. They only upload Japanese videos that already have been translated by Toho Games or by the Japanese Godzilla YouTube page. They are running out of trailers and "Godzilla Tales" shorts. Splitting up the HB Godzilla episodes is a great way to 'stretch out' your remaining content.

And while I'm definitely hopeful, there's no guarantee that Season 2 will be uploaded. Season 1 had dvd and digital releases. But Toho might feel that uploading Season 2 episodes would cut into potential future sales, or make distributors less likely to license it.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Nice! I think this series is overlooked. Far from perfect but definitely something different. The only thing I am not used to is that we get what sounds like some guy screaming his lungs out rather than the trademarked roar we've all come to know and love.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:11 pm
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:52 pm
Blocked in Japan. Toho doesn't want the Japanese fanbase to find out America beat them to the punch with an animated series 50 years prior. :)
I figured Toho was working with Hanna-Barbera at the time when they made the series, so why would they block it in Japan? Surely the Japanese fans must know about it by now.

And didn't I hear something about the series having the trademarked Godzilla roar when it was released in Japan originally in the 1970s, or am I wrong here, LSD?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

According to Wikipedia.ja (citing Godzilla 1954-1999 Super Complete Works), Hanna-Barbera's series was never broadcast in Japan.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:08 pm According to Wikipedia.ja (citing Godzilla 1954-1999 Super Complete Works), Hanna-Barbera's series was never broadcast in Japan.
Okay, thanks. I could've sworn it was.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Great interview with Duane Poole - writer/developer/story editor of the Hanna Babera Godzilla cartoon.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I really feel like we needed a real first episode, the one that introduced the crew and how they came in contact with Godzilla/Godzooky and it just felt awkward to jump right in as if we'd known these guys already.