Hanna Barbera Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

What do you think of the Hanna Babera Godzilla

Like it
57%
Hate it
12%
Indifferent
30%

Total votes: 115

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Re: Hanna Barbera Godzilla

Post by ILL GREEN »

szmigiel wrote:I watched the show when it originally aired, and have been watching the reruns on RetroTV every now and then. When I was young I was disappointed with the show, most episodes were just disappointing, some where okay, none were all that great or classic.

I was never a fan of the kid and goofy sidekick/mascot who are there to; get into trouble / be comic relief.
The show suffered from the Hanna Barbera make it as cheap as possible animation style.
The fact that Godzilla and other monsters roars are all done by people.
Godzilla breathing fire (I always hate Godzilla breathing fire and not having atomic breath) and having eye beams.

I don't mind the Calico and crew, and them summoning Godzilla. Gave a reason for them to encounter other monsters, explain Godzilla showing up, etc...

But over all if I watch it is because it is such a mess, it is not so bad it is good, it is so bad it is kind of intriguing.
Same here. Most times it was more Johnny Quest shit than Godzilla. He only appears when the cast are in a jam and when he fights monsters. That was the only exciting part, when he rose from the ocean. His breath was fiery yellow so I thought the Shogun toy was based on that version because of it.

BountyHunter
GPN Volunteer

Post by BountyHunter »

So this show still hasn't received a complete series did release?
http://capturecomics.blogspot.com
Home of my upcoming Bounty Hunter comic book series!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

BountyHunter wrote:So this show still hasn't received a complete series did release?
Nope

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

I like it more than I don't, but I have trouble watching a lot of them back to back. I think my biggest problem is all the roars for both Godzilla and the monsters are done by voice actors. I just find them annoying, and they keep me from fully accepting the character as Godzilla and getting immersed in the battles. That, and as has been said a million times before, I don't care for Godzuki.

Otherwise, I like the premise and format of the show, although I think Godzilla: The Animated Series does a far better job on all fronts.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Well I believe the Japanese version of the show used Godzilla's actual roar but good luck finding that.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Well I believe the Japanese version of the show used Godzilla's actual roar but good luck finding that.
Interesting. The Godzilla roar was so terrible for the show. I can just imagine some dude in some studio screaming into the microphone "rrrawwwfrrrr"
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Well I believe the Japanese version of the show used Godzilla's actual roar but good luck finding that.
Interesting. The Godzilla roar was so terrible for the show. I can just imagine some dude in some studio screaming into the microphone "rrrawwwfrrrr"
That's because it was. :lol:
You know I have to wonder if that's even true. I mean we've never seen a clip from the Japanese version, we have never seen anything from it so how do we know that's true?
Godzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It was very cliche and dumb but I really liked it for just seeming nostalgic. It's passable animation wise for the time. The roar annoys me a little, just because to random. I remember watching it when I was younger and having a big wtf moment when Godzilla shot laser beams from his eyes.

It goes without saying but the monsters are also pretty generic and uninspired.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Picked up this Scooby Doo comic which features that old giant hero Frankenstein Jr on the cover

There is one panel where Frankenstein Jr is fighting giant monsters. Guess who makes a quickie cameo?

I just thought that was cute.

ShodaiGoji
Samurai

Post by ShodaiGoji »

Good catch! Seeing this makes me wish they'd somehow figure out or make an agreement with Toho to release a figure of HB Godzilla.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Wow thats a nice reference! Shows that they remember that tv show.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I'll be honest upon seeing that. I'd like to see a Scooby-Doo team up comic with Hanna-Barbera Godzilla but I take it that probably hasn't happened or anything because of Toho holding the rights.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I want Hanna-Barbera to put this on DVD COMPLETE!!! Either them, Shout! Factory, or Mill Creek Entertainment.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Hanna-Barbera's rights lapsed more than a decade ago. Toho has the whole show now and Classic Media only licensed the first season.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Aw crap.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

ShodaiGoji
Samurai

Post by ShodaiGoji »

Terasawa wrote:Hanna-Barbera's rights lapsed more than a decade ago. Toho has the whole show now and Classic Media only licensed the first season.
Wouldn't that also affect HB being able to do this comic cameo though? Or are the comic rights a considered a separate entity from the show rights?

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

It's a one panel cameo, I doubt much fucks are given
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

ShodaiGoji wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Hanna-Barbera's rights lapsed more than a decade ago. Toho has the whole show now and Classic Media only licensed the first season.
Wouldn't that also affect HB being able to do this comic cameo though?
Yeah, I think so. And an unlicensed appearance like this would probably result in a Toho lawsuit. For those that have it, is Toho credited anywhere in the book?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Toho is strict I'll give them that but I can't seem them being THAT strict over a one panel cameo...If so though, talk about such edge...

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Yes it is a one panel cameo. Later when Frankenstein Jr fights those monsters, Godzilla is nowhere to be seen.

I just wanted to add. Waaay back Marvel did an Avengers comic where a legion of giant monsters appeared in New York. The solicitation art had Godzilla in a cameo

But when the issue actually shipped the distinctive dorsal spines were removed.