Hanna Barbera Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

What do you think of the Hanna Babera Godzilla

Like it
57%
Hate it
12%
Indifferent
30%

Total votes: 115

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Hanna Barbera Godzilla

Post by Godzillian »

What are your guys thoughts on the Hanna Barbera Godzilla and his animated series?

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Re: Hanna Barbera Godzilla

Post by GalacticPetey »

It's what got me into Godzilla, so I'll give it that.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

It was the only animated Godzilla at the time and that alone is cool in my book. I hated the Johnny Quest bits and his roar but it was always Godzilla vs a monster for a final scene so it was not bad.

Boggles me why there haven't been an anime Godzilla yet??!!

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

I like it. It's generic as hell, but it's enjoyable.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

The roar kills it for me. Just hearing a guy yell RAWRR inplace of Godzilla's iconic roar bugged me even when I was little.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

three
Keizer

Post by three »

loved it as a kid, grew into indifference as an adult, enjoy it now again so i like it. it was a different take on the big green guy, which is always neat.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

ScootaVaran wrote:The roar kills it for me. Just hearing a guy yell RAWRR inplace of Godzilla's iconic roar bugged me even when I was little.
Hanna Barbera didn't have access to Godzilla's roar when making the show so the had to make due. When it was dubbed and released in Japan they put in the real roar.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

three wrote:loved it as a kid, grew into indifference as an adult
That pretty much sums it up for me. Though I haven't seen any of it in quite some time, so I can't say whether the indifference has shifted to one direction or the other or stayed where it is.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I have never seen it.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

I remember thinking the roar sounded like as if G was yawning all the time. The laser eyes are lame, but I like how the spines go all the way up to the top of his skull, I always thought that was a cool detail.

I have nostalgic feelings for the series, and I like the sci-fi cheesiness of it. Didn't hold up too well even in the mid-90's when I first saw it, but it must have been alright for its time.
goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I can't remember if I actually liked the show or not, but that Godzilla was awful! They could've at least given him a generic monster growl instead of the silly "ROOOOAAAR!" :|

GodGan
Samurai

Post by GodGan »

GODZUKI!
Hai

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

From what I've seen of it, it's allright. I never saw these as a kid, but around the 90s was my first time. They had some good monsters for Godzilla to fight, and it was entertaining.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I really like the Godzilla's design

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

20th Century Boy wrote:I can't remember if I actually liked the show or not, but that Godzilla was awful! They could've at least given him a generic monster growl instead of the silly "ROOOOAAAR!" :|
Godzilla was played by Lurch.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

KaijuAlertSystem
Gotengo Officer

Post by KaijuAlertSystem »

The "roar" is extremely grating moment to moment, but at least this version of Godzilla does indeed kick monster ass. Even if he pretty much is a human pet in this series.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Captain Aktion wrote:
20th Century Boy wrote:I can't remember if I actually liked the show or not, but that Godzilla was awful! They could've at least given him a generic monster growl instead of the silly "ROOOOAAAR!" :|
What's a Lurch?

three
Keizer

Post by three »

20th Century Boy wrote:
Captain Aktion wrote:
What's a Lurch?

the adam's family butler. a frankenstein like character who would be called in (humourously) when someone yelled "Lurch!". i'm pretty sure that's where the whole "you rang?" thing came from.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla was Lurch, and it seemed he was always nearby. No matter if they traveled to San Francisco or Egypt, he was always somewhere close by.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

edgaguirus wrote:Godzilla was Lurch, and it seemed he was always nearby. No matter if they traveled to San Francisco or Egypt, he was always somewhere close by.
So you're saying he's pretty similar to the Toho Godzilla?
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score